Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Nmunger

M.O.C. #25182
Winterizing

What does everyone do about winterizing a residential fridge with an ice maker? I have blown out my lines for the last several years but can’t figure how to blow out the ice maker line in our new camper. I believe there’s a drain under the camper but I’m not sure that completely drains it. Anyone with experience?

Nmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I disconnect the water lines from the valve on the back of the refrigerator and blow out the fill line. The water in the line from the valve to the ice maker drains out on its own. I remove the valve and store in the house. The first year I left it in and it froze and cracked, $70 mistake.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I have a 2016 and the Residential Fridge is not easily accessed by pulling it out. My instructions had me close the fill valve under the sink and open the icemaker drain under the coach. I always did this hours before I shut the fridge down hoping any water would drain. My instructions also said to never put anti freeze into the icemaker. JD Dillys method seems safer if you can get to the fridge valve.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Ours came from the factory with antifreeze in the lines/ice maker. We have manually cycled the ice maker to get the antifreeze into it for winter storage. Have done this for the last couple of years and not a single issue yet.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I was also told to never put antifreeze in the ice maker. Originally, I just blew the lines out with air which was fine for us down to about -5 degrees.
I ended up putting in a bottled water supply for the ice maker that connects to the back of the fridge. Everything is plumbed inside the coach now, so the exposed water lines underneath never have water in them. We don't like drinking CG water and the taste/quality is very inconsistent. Now I can just empty the bottle and cycle the ice maker a few times to remove the water from the tubing line.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I have a 2020 3813 with a residential fridge I just got done blowing everything out with air and the ice maker was the last thing to blow out. It has a button on the front under side of the ice maker. If you remove the trays you will see it on the under side. With air pressure in the lines press and hold the button in and the ice maker will cycle. It will dump and refill several times before it will get all the water out of it but it will get it all out. I have never had any problems blowing campers out with air. I always use a list and blow everything out once and then start over and do it again. Dont forget the black tank washout line and outside shower and turniing water pump on to dry it out.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 AM   #7
JEROME
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22972
what is the PSI air press you use in your water system? Thanks Jerome
JEROME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have a regulator that I set at 45-50 PSI to blow out the water lines. 40 PSI is actually plenty. If you go to high, the pressure could blow apart any connectors. The PEX pipe can handle more, but the crimp connectors and shark bites cannot. Well, actually they can handle more, but they are the weak point. No need in pressing your luck. The water will be evacuated from the pipe with minimal pressure anyway.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote