Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2004, 03:42 AM   #41
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Ok, now that's I've read thru all of this thread, I'm ready to give my 2 cents.

I'm one of those people who are very wary about buying from a private party just because you don't know what you are getting. While you still don't know what you are getting from a dealer either, at least they have gone thru the inspection process on their dime and you are getting a feeling for that dealer. When you need to bring the unit in to be serviced, you already have a relationship from them and since you bought from them, I believe they treat you better. Sad thing these days but it's true. I'm sure these people took excellent care of their rig but you just never know. With a dealer you can buy an extended warranty or a warranty of some sort to cover the MAJOR things that could give you problems, you can't do that with a private party.

A year ago we bought a used 2002 3295RK and bought the warranty for $2,000 with it. It was the best money we ever spent because about a month and a 1/2 ago our furnace went out and it was over $1200 to fix it. So we have paid for more than 1/2 of it and still have 3 years left. To me the "insurance" or "piece of mind" is priceless.

Just something to think about. Remember, everything has their problems, but the fact that the manufacturer is willing to stand behind their product makes me feel so much better. Even if it takes a couple times to get it right, at least I know they are going and willing to try.

Ultimately, obviously the decision is yours. Since I'm sure you are going to be spending a great deal of money on this investment, the decision might be a difficult one. Good luck and what ever you decide to do will be the right one for you and your family. We love our Montana and would and probably will buy another one when they figure out where to put the washer and dryer in the 3650RK.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #42
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
JHadley, You sound so much like my wife and I! Last year we bought a used Montana (1999 3350RS) from an RV (not Montana) dealer. As we aren't ready to retire just yet, we need to maintain our home as well and the cost of a new RV and truck was prohibitive. I looked at and read about every brand I could find and asked lots of questions. I also made the rounds of every RV dealer within 80 miles on a weekly basis to see what might have come in in my price range. When we found this Montana we were scared to death that we might be buying someone elses problem but the Montana was mint and the dealer was great so we took the plunge. I found out about the 8 inch frame retrofit on this forum and called Keystone to see if we were eligible for it. We were, and Keystone shipped the kit to the dealer who installed it. No hassle, no charge. Since then we have taken two long trips (2000 and 3200 miles) and we love it. When I look at some of the details on the Montana I could wish for better but it serves us well and has made such a dramatic change in our plans for the future. Now my wife is talking about selling our place which we built with our own hands over 25 years. We will miss it sorely, if and when we do, but the Montana is calling us with dreams of the road and we will follow.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 07:55 AM   #43
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What a great story, Jim and Diane! We really enjoyed meeting you folks at the rally although we didn't get much time with you (maybe next time). We're wishing you well on your dreams.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:14 PM   #44
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Jack and Penny -
here's a "war story" from my boating days, just to show it doesn't just happen with RV's.

Our 2nd boat was quite a leap - from the 16 foor open bow to a 24 foot, made by Cruisers Inc - it was a super boat, and served us well for many years until I got bit by the sailing bug! Anyway after the first opportunity we had to fill the boat with fresh water, the dang water pump wouldn't quit running! It took some looking, but finally determined that the hotwater heater was leaking.

The dealer came to the marina (100 mile drive from Denver) and looked over the problem, and decided the heater had to be replaced. They worked on this "solution" for about an hour, trying to figure out how to remove the heater. The heater was mounted in the stern, down next to the V8, since it used recirulating coolant from the engine to heat the water. There was no way that heater was coming out, without removing the engine first!

Another hour of sweat, and they had managed to disassemble the heater without removing it. Turns out the reason for the leak was a MISSING gasket in the outlet fitting - a problem that originated back at the water heater manufacturer, not a mistake by Cruisers.

Did have to wait another couple weeks to get the gasket, but my cost on this? zero...
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:10 PM   #45
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jhadley -

Cost of MOC forum - free.

Advice from everyone - 2 cents.

For everything else - there's Mastercard

I've enjoyed all the posting on this issue. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone the same way you are looking (used fifth wheel). My wife and I were trying to decide what to do for our thirtieth anniversary. We talked about Europe and other foreign travel. But with the world the way it is, we said "let's see America". We bought a brand new TT from Forest River (brand not important). After a couple of months of weekend camping we headed from Illinois to Maine. Great trip but had a number of issues with the new trailer including the water tank (mounted under the bed) coming loose and dumping 40 gallons of water inside. We got through the trailer issues but found we really enjoyed the trailer, but it just wasn't comfortable for relaxing in the evening. We took a trip through Yellowstone this summer with our two teenage sons and decided we really loved camping but wanted something a little more comfortable. But our trailer did exactly what we wanted (and sounds like what you're after). We found we really enjoyed the RV lifestyle. Another thing we learned was how critical a good dealer is for peace of mind, if nothing else. With the water tank issue, our dealer took out the bed, tank, carpet and replaced all of the carpet and pad, reinforced the tank mounting and delivered it back to us like new. Most (not all) of the horror stories you read have some issues with the dealer along the way. Hope you take the plunge and have the opportunity to find out whether the RV lifestyle is for you or not. Like us, you'll have a manageable amount invested and if you don't you will not take a bath. I think you've gotten' a chance also to see how willing Montana owners are to help out. Enjoy.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #46
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I just have to put my 2 cents in here also. As I have said in previous posts, the Monty is our 3rd 5er. The only problem we have had so far is the flashlight doesn't work. Having had numerous cars and houses, I can't think of many that did not have some little problem or a big one. I ordered a Ford (Most expensive unit they had except for the T-Bird) from the plant back in 1964 to my specs and the 2nd day I had it the air conditioner caught fire. This was just the beginning of many problems. The dealer lived across the street and was a friend from high school so it was hard to blame him. But back in those days there was not computers and the internet to discuss things so not many people knew.

You are not going to hear much from the people without problems cause I think those that are having problems get kind of irrated with us always saying how great our unit is. We have coveted the Montana for many years. Before we bought, we looked at every unit made, went to RV shows, read Trailer Life, talked to Montana owners in RV parks, etc., but the numbers don't lie. We choose a restaurant by how many cars are parked outside and the same goes with how many units Keystone sells.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #47
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

Quote: I am pondering buying an excellently presented 2000 3255 or something with two slide-outs, and it has been hardly used.

We purchased an "excellently presented", "previously loved" 2000 Mountaineer 305FKS in 2002. We have had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. By purchasing a previously owned unit, we had some $$$ to add our personal touch (bedspread, curtains, and every oak accessory you can find !) and to make some of the upgrades recommended here and in other forums (Maxxi-vents, Maxxi-fan, Hunter thermostat, etc,). If we were in the market for a new RV, we'd still go through the comparison routine, but I believe Montana would win hands down!
Thanks Van.

You de man. I've made my decision, just have to convince wifey!

Jack
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #48
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote]Originally posted by snowbunny

JHadley, You sound so much like my wife and I! Last year we bought a used Montana (1999 3350RS) from an RV (not Montana) dealer. As we aren't ready to retire just yet, we need to maintain our home as well and the cost of a new RV and truck was prohibitive. I looked at and read about every brand I could find and asked lots of questions. I also made the rounds of every RV dealer within 80 miles on a weekly basis to see what might have come in in my price range. When we found this Montana we were scared to death that we might be buying someone elses problem but the Montana was mint and the dealer was great so we took the plunge. I found out about the 8 inch frame retrofit on this forum and called Keystone to see if we were eligible for it. We were, and Keystone shipped the kit to the dealer who installed it. No hassle, no charge. Since then we have taken two long trips (2000 and 3200 miles) and we love it. When I look at some of the details on the Montana I could wish for better but it serves us well and has made such a dramatic change in our plans for the future. Now my wife is talking about selling our place which we built with our own hands over 25 years. We will miss it sorely, if and when we do, but the Montana is calling us with dreams of the road and we will follow.

Hi McGills,

Thanks for the info and support. We're pretty much decided (as soon as wifey catches up to my enthusiasm). Not selling the house though -- that's my summer place and sailboat and motorcycle venue.

Jack and Penny
Old 11-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #49
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote]Originally posted by skyguy

Jack and Penny -
here's a "war story" from my boating days, just to show it doesn't just happen with RV's.

Our 2nd boat was quite a leap - from the 16 foor open bow to a 24 foot, made by Cruisers Inc - it was a super boat, and served us well for many years until I got bit by the sailing bug! Anyway after the first opportunity we had to fill the boat with fresh water, the dang water pump wouldn't quit running! It took some looking, but finally determined that the hotwater heater was leaking.

The dealer came to the marina (100 mile drive from Denver) and looked over the problem, and decided the heater had to be replaced. They worked on this "solution" for about an hour, trying to figure out how to remove the heater. The heater was mounted in the stern, down next to the V8, since it used recirulating coolant from the engine to heat the water. There was no way that heater was coming out, without removing the engine first!

Another hour of sweat, and they had managed to disassemble the heater without removing it. Turns out the reason for the leak was a MISSING gasket in the outlet fitting - a problem that originated back at the water heater manufacturer, not a mistake by Cruisers.

Great story,

I'm sail crazy, and you name it, and it's happened -- except I'm still alive!

Thanks
J
Old 11-04-2004, 12:45 PM   #50
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Thanks again Ron and Terrie,

Penny and I have pretty much made up our minds about this, and thank you all for your input.

J&P

Advice from everyone - 2 cents.

For everything else - there's Mastercard

I've enjoyed all the posting on this issue. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone the same way you are looking (used fifth wheel). My wife and I were trying to decide what to do for our thirtieth anniversary. We talked about Europe and other foreign travel. But with the world the way it is, we said "let's see America". We bought a brand new TT from Forest River (brand not important). After a couple of months of weekend camping we headed from Illinois to Maine. Great trip but had a number of issues with the new trailer including the water tank (mounted under the bed) coming loose and dumping 40 gallons of water inside. We got through the trailer issues but found we really enjoyed the trailer, but it just wasn't comfortable for relaxing in the evening. We took a trip through Yellowstone this summer with our two teenage sons and decided we really loved camping but wanted something a little more comfortable. But our trailer did exactly what we wanted (and sounds like what you're after). We found we really enjoyed the RV lifestyle. Another thing we learned was how critical a good dealer is for peace of mind, if nothing else. With the water tank issue, our dealer took out the bed, tank, carpet and replaced all of the carpet and pad, reinforced the tank mounting and delivered it back to us like new. Most (not all) of the horror stories you read have some issues with the dealer along the way. Hope you take the plunge and have the opportunity to find out whether the RV lifestyle is for you or not. Like us, you'll have a manageable amount invested and if you don't you will not take a bath. I think you've gotten' a chance also to see how willing Montana owners are to help out. Enjoy.
[/quote]
Old 11-04-2004, 03:48 PM   #51
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Congratulations. I had to convince my wife of moving from the TT to the 5er. I finally sat her down and asked what she was concerned about. She thought I'd be buying a new one every year. When I finally told her that this one would probably last us until retirement, she got more interested. I don't think I could get her to go back now. Now, if I could just convince her about some of them there huntin' utensils I have my eye on - I'd be waiting a long time for her enthusiasm to catch up to me, however. But as long as one of us is reasonable.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #52
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
- I'd be waiting a long time for her enthusiasm to catch up to me, however. But as long as one of us is reasonable.
[/quote]

Wol,

Yeah, and who do we ask to see who's reasonable? I have an opinion that my wife and I might see this differently (especially after our shopping trip today). If you get it figgered out , lemme know!

Thanks for the time and the humour. (Canadian/English spelling)

J
Old 11-05-2004, 01:48 PM   #53
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J, are you saying it's time to change your signature line?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #54
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
I am sure that jhadley has had all the advise he wants, but this has been such a fun topic, I have to jump in.

I sold RVs on and off for a couple of yrs and the expensive ones have the same problems and often more than the "average" 5W. Most manufacturers are run by the same dynamics regarding construction. They all hire the cheapest labor available and most of the "stuff" that goes into them (furnaces, water heaters, etc.) comes from the same few suppliers who work with the same constraints.

This forum is great for seeing what kind of problems can crop up with the products, allowing us to be prewarned. Some things are definately worrysome and could be a deal breaker, but first you need to know if the problem is an unusual occurance or a design flaw. We bought our last 5W new, a Kit Road Ranger. It was of average construction, but the factory was more than great in repairing a broken frame well out of warranty that was the result of an accident in Mexico (long story). We would have bought another one, but they didn't have an acceptable floor plan. We probably put 125-150,000 miles on it and it was ridden hard and put away wet many times. We had some of the same problems with it that I have seen mentioned in the various forums. These problems have a lot to do with how we use the equipment. Is it overloaded or close, bad roads, hitting curbs, lack or delayed maintenance, etc. It is a house going down the road. Our last trip to Mexico was a killer; we broke the tank in the hot water heater and cracked a front wheel on the truck from the bumps we hit. In the 11 yrs we owned it, had to get the axles aligned three times, replaced the springs which all broke except one, and went though at least 20 tires, a lot do to uneven wear.

Guess you can use them or sit and look at them. We love our 3575 and the problems have been minor so far. Before we bought a Montana, we had talked to many Montana owners during our travels and most were happy with their 5Ws. We figure with a ten yr practical life for a well used 5W and what we paid for our first one and the trade we got on the new Montana, it costs us $3,000 a yr plus repairs to be in a 5W. We're now heading to Mexico and to either adventures or misadventures.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #55
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
[quote][i]

Guess you can use them or sit and look at them. We love our 3575 and the problems have been minor so far. Before we bought a Montana, we had talked to many Montana owners during our travels and most were happy with their 5Ws. We figure with a ten yr practical life for a well used 5W and what we paid for our first one and the trade we got on the new Montana, it costs us $3,000 a yr plus repairs to be in a 5W. We're now heading to Mexico and to either adventures or misadventures.

Dear Mobilrvn,

What a great response. It heartens me to see the b***s you guys have in terms of "just doing it". That's the way I like to think. I Know this unit will need repair and maintenance from time to time, but I think your approach is so practical. We're going to use you as a model, and to hell with the "what ifs".

Many thanks.

Jack and Penny
Old 11-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #56
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Not to knock any other product, but we could not help noticing as we followed a very new looking Kountry Star 5er down I-65 for a while, that it was not towing in line with the T.V. and the wheels were clearly toed out a good bit. I think Kountry Stars (Newmar?) are supposed to be high-end trailers, but this one was not without alignment problems. (No idea what ours looked like from behind though!)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #57
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We know ours looks OK from behind. We had a couple of people (who also tow) come up to us at a rest area and commend us on how well our 5er towed, they had been following us for quite a while and they said it looked really good. Nice to have someone tell you that.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:18 AM   #58
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Finally have had time to read all the way through this thread and it is great to see all the thoughtful responses. This is one of the reasons that we value the MOC site so much--sensible responses with good info, suggestions, ideas and support. Everyone's motivation seems to be info sharing and problem solving. Since we do so much problem solving of course we hear about a lot of problems! My 2 cents worth is that an informed purchaser and careful owner is most likely going to have a good RVing experience. And BTW--a used unit that's a peach is a great find BUT the dealer is still key to succesful ownership. So be sure that the dealer you use will be supportive when you need him. Hoping to hear about some really great adventures Jack and Penny.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #59
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie
So be sure that the dealer you use will be supportive when you need him. Hoping to hear about some really great adventures Jack and Penny.
Thanks Bill and Pat,

The die is cast, as Caesar said, and he WAS an adventurer. The dealers, well, if they didn't sell it, they may be a bit testy, but as someone said earlier, the product is the same in terms furnace, pump, axle and so on, so I guess you just monitor what's done, and pay a fair fee. We are saving a lot on the initial price, and if things go wrong, we will pony up the savings. If not, we're a head and even happier.

I love gambling like this!

Jack
Old 11-23-2004, 01:48 AM   #60
Montana_1925
Established Member

M.O.C. #1925
We owned a 84 Kit Sportsmaster and it was in perfect shape when we sold it 10 years later to buy our Montana this summer. How we wish we had bought another Sportsmaster, that trailer was unbelievable. Our Montana has been a nightmare since we've purchased it, and we always have wondered how much of the problem is due to the previous owners or due to Keystone's lack of quality. I do know that Keystone is not someone we want to do business with again. After buying a $42 door from Keystone and being charged $50 for crating and $153 for shipping when UPS said the cost would be just $80, no crates, we have lost faith in them. We sent Jeff Rank a letter and have had no reply. We called Keystone and they said no apology would be coming, tried to blame the local store we purchased the door from.We subscribe to Trailer Life and in the last two issues have seen several complaints about Keystone products. So I don't think we are alone out there being unhappy with our Montana's. We do not do any bragging about our Montana to fellow campers, that's for sure.
Montana_1925 is offline   Reply With Quote