Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #7694
vehicle insurance with South Dakota tags

What company is good to deal with , some dont like to insure fulltimers . I have State Farm but don know if they will renew when i notify them i am fulltiming . My address was Pensylvania now South Dakota . Has anyone been in this situation and what happened to you?
Thanks Chas

chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have Explorer RV. Check out www.explorerrv.com

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You don't say where in South Dakota you are but if you are with Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, they have an agent right next door named Dougherty Ins. They specialize in full timers insurance and will find the best one for you and your situation. They have been great to deal with for both vehicle and health insurance. Just ask the nice folks at Alternative and they will help you.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
We have our service in Emery SD and our insurance on the Monty is with Dougherty in Sioux Falls, our car and truck are with State Farm. When we changed to SD I called Dougherty for the fulltimers insurance for the Monty as it covers more than just the rig, it is basically similar to a homeowners insurance. After getting our vehicles registered in Emery we went to the State Farm agent in Mitchell SD, she took care of everything for us, no problems. When the agent was doing our paperwork and saw our address she said, "Oh! your with Ron in Emery". They do a lot of policy's for fulltimers out of there.

By the way our insurance dropped to 1/4 of what it was in California.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
jretz.
That's interesting that State Farm insured you as full timers. Two different times we went full time when we had State Farm and both times they cancelled our insurance. We'd been with them for over 25 years with no claims but that didn't make any difference. Two different agents, one in Cedar Rapids, IA and one in Livingston, TX, told us that they didn't insure the rig if you lived in it full time.

Orv

On Edit: Removed second signature
Old 10-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Same as what Orv said about State Farm.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
That is interesting. We, too, have had State Farm for years. As soon as we started fulltiming, they wouldn't insure the Monty or the truck. We went with GMAC. We spoke to our agent just yesterday to see if things had changed with State Farm and fulltimers. The answer was that everything is still the same and State Farm will not insure fulltimers - for liability and contents.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Orv, Our truck and car are insured by State Farm, our agent is in Mitchell SD. For the Montana I went through Dougherty in Sioux Falls and have the insurance with another company I think it is National Interstate.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ditto everything Helen said. They did a comparison for us and GMAC was lowest and easy to work with. I'm sure some of the rates depend on the type and age of both TV and rig.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Always wondered about covering the rig with one company and the truck with another company. In case of a claim I can see the fingers being pointed at each other. JMHO

BTW: I meet people with tags from one state on the rig and tags from another on the truck and a drivers license from another. Hate to be the cop that has to work that.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Always wondered about covering the rig with one company and the truck with another company. In case of a claim I can see the fingers being pointed at each other. JMHO

BTW: I meet people with tags from one state on the rig and tags from another on the truck and a drivers license from another. Hate to be the cop that has to work that.
Bigmurf,
I've seen the same thing. My uncle, a cop, says that is trouble that's waiting for an accident to happen. The same people will license their rigs in a "no income tax state" and buy insurance in a state where the insurance rates are lower. All illegal. My old State Farm agent says that insurance companies do not have to pay if an accident happens to people like this. I don't know why they do it.

Orv
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
bigmurf,
I have used separate insurance companies for Boats, Cars, Trailers, and RV's, never had any problems. The policy's pretty well cover who is responsible for covering claims.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John Dougherty has been our agent since Feb 2003. He did some shopping for the best deal among the companies for whom he is an agent. He put us with Progressive for the truck and National Interstate for the Montana and our fulltimers insurance. We've never had a claim so can't tell you how their service is. I do know we're past our five year disappearing deductible so if we ever have a claim we'll pay no deductible. The first time, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #14
dragracer

M.O.C. #8927
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

We have our service in Emery SD and our insurance on the Monty is with Dougherty in Sioux Falls, our car and truck are with State Farm. When we changed to SD I called Dougherty for the fulltimers insurance for the Monty as it covers more than just the rig, it is basically similar to a homeowners insurance. After getting our vehicles registered in Emery we went to the State Farm agent in Mitchell SD, she took care of everything for us, no problems. When the agent was doing our paperwork and saw our address she said, "Oh! your with Ron in Emery". They do a lot of policy's for fulltimers out of there.

By the way our insurance dropped to 1/4 of what it was in California.
We got ours in Livingston TX with Chris Scott the STate Farm agent. He said if we had our home owners and auto with them for years they would allow for a full timers policy from State Farm.

Later
John
dragracer is offline   Reply With Quote