Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Fulltimer Exit Plan

When we started our fulltime adventure it really wasn't a plan. We first planned on traveling for awhile, then downsizing to a house smaller than the one we had just sold, but we were enjoying traveling and seeing all the things we had not seen with no time restraints.
I have read about exit plans some people stress that is needed when you can't afford to travel for what ever reason, money, health, etc.
We have begun to discuss our future on the road more now with the price of fuel and all other related expenses going up.
I am prepared to get off the road at any time, I know this is different for each individual, but is anyone else thinking this might be a good time to re-enter the housing market and become a part-time traveler?

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
This may be a good time for purchasing a home, what with the banking industry mess and all these foreclosures. In Michigan I am sure you could find a deal or two, how is the market where you want to reenter?? Personally, I fear it may get a lot worse before it gets better, at least here, so, maybe waiting another 6 to 12 months??

I don't know if the realtors still have a printed book of listings, probably all on the internet now, but we used to be able to tell if things were bad, that book got REAL thick!

I would be surfing the net, looking at the areas I am interested in, reading the online newspapers every day, getting a feel for the economic conditions they are reporting for the local economy, and reading the online real estate listings for the area too. Daily, get a feel for things.

Good luck in your search.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Carol, you are right on about conditions, price, in the real estate market. We are not actively looking at homes, in our situation we are confused as to what location or state to look. I have property in Ga. and a RV lot also in Ga., but I would not choose Ga. as my home state right now. Too many tax implications.
My question is more on how many people who are fulltiming now are starting to consider getting off the road and planning for the future. I really don't feel that all fulltimers will stay on the road for life or death.
Some might plan on moving in with kids or other relatives. Do fulltimers have an exit plan?
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
David, Our exit plan involves just a plot of land somewhere or a very small house with room for the Montana. Trouble is: Where will that be? And, when do you buy? Now, as we travel I am always looking and thinking where that might be, so I usually look at housing costs in each area and file that for future reference. As far as when to buy, we will travel until we are ready to hang it up then HOPE the housing market has hit bottom before we buy again. I would hate to buy a house only to see equity go down further, Of course, loss of equity only matters if you are trying to sell.

Not as much of an exit plan as it is a bail out guess......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We don't plan on becoming house owners again. Our present plans are to remain in our 5th wheel RV. We have a lifetime leased lot in Lakewood, NM where we plan on settling down permanently when and if that day comes when we need to leave the road.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our exit plan will be to find a lot up here in NW Lower MI. We will initially will have a pad set up for our Montana. Then we will build a small home. We would still travel to FL in the winter in our Montana.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We kinda had our decision made on the Med issues of DW's Moms medical problems. We had a site set of for our 5th wheel under a 50x40 building for when we did return to Tennessee. We had to return to Tn in Jan 07, because DW's Mom had a heart attack and wasn't given but 3 to 6 months to live. We then decided to build another house in April of 07. DW made the plans on what size house for the two of us. We didn't ever want a large house again. We set a cost and since we already had a sewer system and a 200 amp service with a RV 50 amp. When we excavated the land we had a pad build for a house. Started the house on Memorial day 2007 and moved in the house in Aug. We miss traveling however we still go when we want and will spend the winter in Florida. Already a reservations for Dec, Jan, Feb. We are very glad we made the decision to build the house. With Diesel prices we now feel we in fact did make the right decision. We also think things are going to get much worse. Everyone keeps saying it's just a few hundred dollars more for Diesel. The fact is everything else is going up everyday, everything thats delivered is at one time on a Truck, do you get the picture. And you never know how your health of you Loved ones health will be from day to day. Good Luck to all on you future decisions. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
David and Brenda
I think there are a lot of Full Timers having thoughts about """WHAT IF"""" The great thing is that all the full timers have seen a lot of the country and this give's them an great advantage as to where to pick a spot to settle down..I just ran a GOOGLE SEARCH on SENIORS TAX FRIENDLY STATES. WOW what a wake up call....
Look at OZZ, selling his home in KC to move further south a smaller home and closer to his favorite Padre Island. He is looking for the best of two worlds and I think he has a great idea.

The realestate market is great for purchases right now, if your looking to buy right. Make sure you get the climate you want and medical facilities close by.. Good luck never hurts to have an alternative plan.
safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
My exit plan.....Move in with John and teach him carving!! LOL
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Ok, Tom I'll put the coffee on..... Christa and Nancy can feed the live birds all over the back porch. I am going to call you this weekend.

John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
ok John I'll be waiting for that call!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
harrykapp
Established Member

M.O.C. #7657
We found a wonderful 55 and older condo in Grand Rapids Michigan at a dirt cheap price so with the travel cost being what they are now we are buying this unit and will take our 5th wheel to the valley in Texas this winter and leave it there. This will allow us to go south in the winter and still enjoy our Monty. We know our winter house will be safe and looked after during the winter in this condo community. Also my wife says we will be here in the summer so she can be with the grand kids as they are growing up. We have sure enjoyed the last 8 years on the road.
harrykapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Intresting topic, we sold our house and went full time about a year and a half ago. We were gone from it and didn't really want to go back so sell and travel. We have an "exit" plan of sorts, unfortunately we see so many places we would like to be that making the commitment to one is difficult. The costs have become a concern so we are only traveling 364 days a year instead of 365. Homestly, we are making more direct routes to our planned destination and taken longer on the trip there. By driving 60 instead of 70 or 75 our fuel milage is up almost 3 mpg, doing that non pulling we are getting about 23 pulling 13.

We are also staying in a location longer, but having that as a center point for day trips, etc. The wife is getting the itch to settle down some near her family, a lot for the rv will be just fine. We can only stand the family about 3 months a year so it works out okay. When we start getting older we may change our plans some, but I'm still shy of 70 so I feel we have a while yet.

The prices of fuel are discourging, but so is the thought of not seeing around that next bend in the road. I'll take the road.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I think after 10 years on the road, without a house and still dont have a house that I just maybee be a "true " fulltimer! I did buy this past october a 1/2 acre lot with 2 full hookups if and when I get where I cant fulltime.
Tom
Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
David and Brenda, you two have been to our lot in Florida so you know what we are talking about... We bought the lot so we could have some down time from traveling and that is what we plan on doing.. We will stay in Florida for 6 months unless something comes up that we want to go to and will travel the other 6 months but we have no intentions of leaving the fulltiming lifestyle that we saved for 15 yrs to do... I hope we invested wisely and can continue until we need to go in to a nursing home, which we have also invested in... If we find that prices are cutting into our savings too much I will go on a diet....

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Brenda and I are in the same thought pattern as alot of fulltimers. We have enjoyed our travels, have met some great people that are now good friends. We plan on continuing traveling, just slowing down and being more particular where we go.
We did buy an RV lot in Ga. Mtns. 4 years back and that has been a great investment in value and friends. It is great to go back to our park and know who will be there and get back to the fellowship we left before traveling to another location. We also enjoy our winter stay in Fla. and will continue that as long as we can. We are always looking for that place in Fla. and would also like to purchase a lot or park model, but we haven't found that place yet. We are always looking.
We don't plan on purchasing another house, we haven't miss home ownership, but I always avoid the "never say never."
Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #17
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Brenda and I are moving into another direction and combining travel with owning an RV lot in the mountains for summer downtime and buying a Park Model in Fla.(Panama City) for the winter. We have considered this change in our fulltime status for several years, we did not want to purchase a house and totally quit traveling, but the price of fuel has changed our way of thinking.
Owning this unit will allow us to not have to rent a site in the winter and rent it out when we are not using it. The park is lot ownership, but does not allow RV's.
With the high cost of fuel, our lot rent in Fla. for the winter the past few years has almost doubled, and the downturn in the real estate market it was a good time to buy and explore another choice and lifestyle.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #18
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
David, you are right about GA having a little high tax structure. However, it is not too bad for retired folks since they are heavy on a state income tax which would not affect retired people as much as people still working. The GA property tax structure gives a break to older folks which helps a little. To stay in the general area, have you looked at TN. TN has no income tax except for certain out of state investments (does not affect most folks). The property tax in TN is a little higher than it is in GA. We have a lot of mountains and lakes in TN. I live on a mountain about 10 miles from downtown Chattanooga. Just a thought I wanted to pass on to you. Good luck on your exit plan, and whatever decision you make.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #19
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have lived in Ga. all my life. I have property in 2 places in Ga., but it does not benefit me to live in Ga. as a residence since I retired. I can live in Fl. cheaper, I enjoy Fl. fishing, climate, etc. My decision to own something in Fl.is based on where I spend most of my time, no income tax, less property tax on automobiles, RV, etc.
I am not selling my RV, it will be on my lot in North Ga., I am just getting off the road for extended periods of time without renting a lot for extended periods of time. I am just giving myself a choice without having to pay the high cost of fuel to the greedy oil companies. I can buy and stay in Fl. for what I will save in fuel costs and lot rent.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This thread reminds us as to why we kept our stick home and "long timed" We like this part of Ohio most of the time so we will not have the where will our home base be..problem. Down sizing to condo style living is in our plan and we have plenty of equity in this home to be able to do that.We will continue to travel as long as our health and finances allow. Then perhaps a permanent site in Florida for the winter months. I guess our exit plan was to keep the stick house and we were fortunate to be able to do that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote