Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #21
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
This is still the best country in the whole wide world and we will continue to percivere.

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This was a very low crime place. In the boonies.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #23
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Dusty, something very similar happened at a campground in central Ga last year when we were there. there was an old tattered prowler trailer probaby a 70's model, pulled by a old old junky truck. Also was a woman with a beat up older car. this was a state park where age of trailer or condition didn't matter I presumed. I never paid much attention to it myself, but anyways a few days later the Law was all around it. Found out later the people have been making meth (dont know if thats spelled right) they travel around where they think no one will notice I guess. Now thats scarey!!
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes it is scary Tom. I have heard of trailers and motor homes getting stolen and used as meth labs.

There was something not right about that trailer and situation we saw. I can't put my finger on it, just a feeling and the way they acted.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Dustytuu, I hate to jump to conclusions, but the 2 padlocks on that old trailer set off an alarm bell in my mind. While it could mean nothing more than the occupants were products of an environment where nothing was safe unless it were locked and chained, the overkill on the locks could also signal a meth lab on wheels (as I believed someone else has mentioned).

High school teachers, at least in the districts where I've taught, have regular in-services focused on "what's new in the world of drugs and alcohol," because we teachers have to stay on top of the changing drug culture which has infected 99% of schools these days, even the small-town ranch community schools in Montana. We have a huge meth problem here, which surprised me when we first moved to the state. Now I understand: Montana is a sparsly-populated state with a lot of wide open space in which to make meth undisturbed. The common ingredients needed to make it are found in nearly every barn on the land, and thefts of ammonia and fertilizer are common.

Many derelict single-wide trailers around here are not only protected with padlocks and iron bars over the windows and doors, but also with big dogs. Perhaps the owners are just protecting their possessions. On the other hand, as a huge drug bust we recently had in the county revealed, maybe they're cooking meth inside. The saddest component of this situation is that children and other innocent people may be living in or near something that can explode at any moment.

I do hope that someone has been able to learn if the family is just down and out and in need of help. If that's the case, perhaps a more suitable shelter can be found for them. As the economy worsens, I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more people like that family.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #26
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I hate to jump to conclusions about some family who could have used help. As has been said, there for but the grace of God...... Calling the authorities without proof could end up dividing a family already in a difficult situation who need each other. I would like to think we would all err on the side of help rather than assuming the worst.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm.. What did we do wrong...Worked for over 40 years, good job, never on welfare, never had a food stamp, never arrested. paid taxes raised kids they are all doing well. Spent 10 years working and planning fot a " great adventure" and our dreams are shattered..Did we make poor choices, are we stupid, There may not be as much distance as you think betwen any one of us and the folks in that tattered camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rich

That is the big bingo, well said. TO the point, the exact point.

Good post, and thanks.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #29
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Roy & Nancy, Rich & Carol,

Thanks all for posting. You all said it well & much better & err nicer than I was gonna.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Amen, Rich and Helen. Been there, STILL doing that--even coming out of retirement (for me) to go back to work fulltime to ensure we could pursue our dreams. We played by the rules, pulled our own weight, and raised 3 children who are now hard-working, productive adults striving to achieve their dreams. Now, with the economy exploding (in the worst way), all of us, not just our family but nearly everyone we know, are facing a "monitor and adjust" situation. My rancher son could probably talk non-stop about the effect of rising fuel prices on the cattle market, the hay farm, and other ranching-related issues, in fact.

On the bright side, we live in the greatest country in the world, we're still in relatively good health, and have decided to face the economic changes as new challenges, not as the end of the road. (Easier said than done, but we won't give up. )

Mark my words--you will see the Mathews on the road, in their Montana, one day!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #31
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
May not be much difference between the meth makers and some of you, LOL, but no damn way in hell will I put myself in their position. There are jobs out there, may not be at the "top", may not have all the benefits they want, but they sure as heck dont have to make meth to sell to the kids and a lot of grownups. I will never take up for a drug dealer or meth maker. If a person has worked hard and all of a sudden fallen on hard times not of his doing, I will, and Have before been one of the first to help, with food and utilities. But I sure wont give one penny to someone to buy booze or drugs. If some of you guys want to put yourselves in "not much distance" from the "Meth makers in that tattered camper, thats your business, just dont include me!! This will be my last post on this thread, Anyone wants to wallow in their own sorrow and feel sorry for theirselfs is fine. I'm still on the road having fun, seeing friends and will be heading out in the morning for different campground and some beautiful country. You all have a nice day.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tom41

May not be much difference between the meth makers and some of you, LOL, but no damn way in hell will I put myself in their position. There are jobs out there, may not be at the "top", may not have all the benefits they want, but they sure as heck dont have to make meth to sell to the kids and a lot of grownups. I will never take up for a drug dealer or meth maker. If a person has worked hard and all of a sudden fallen on hard times not of his doing, I will, and Have before been one of the first to help, with food and utilities. But I sure wont give one penny to someone to buy booze or drugs. If some of you guys want to put yourselves in "not much distance" from the "Meth makers in that tattered camper, thats your business, just dont include me!! This will be my last post on this thread, Anyone wants to wallow in their own sorrow and feel sorry for theirselfs is fine. I'm still on the road having fun, seeing friends and will be heading out in the morning for different campground and some beautiful country. You all have a nice day.
It's all part of the "Whoa is me, I'm a victim" syndrome that seems to be going around...and pushed by one of the major political parties.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #33
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Wow, just gotta ask how on earth we determined they are making Meth? Can't they be either just on vacation, home schoolers & this is just their camper? Even though they paid for a month?

Perhaps they are victims of this economy & they are living there, still does this mean they're using the camper for a Meth Lab? The padlocks could simply be because the locks on this old trailer do not work. Maybe all their worldly possessions are in there? Maybe Grandma's wedding ring, a valued family treasure?

Regardless of what's for sure happening there, Dusty mentions they had polite, well behaved and clean children. I think it's prudent for any of us MOC-ers who run into similar situations to be friendly, offer a helping hand or leave a tasty meal on their steps.

Times are bad for sure, but it does not seem right for us to assume these people or others like them are up to no good.

An FYI too, jobs here in Michigan are slim pickings. For instance they are calling back Dick's plant to work after the AA strike but they are gonna lay off second shift. I'm not familiar with Missouri so maybe jobs are plentiful.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #34
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
WEll, this is turning into an interesting conversation, that is for sure.

If this couple is doing the meth thing, then, what ever happens to them with courts, kids, police, etc, I could care less. Still feel for the kids tho, cause those kids love their parents no matter what the parents are doing that may be breaking the law. How sad is that?

If this couple is homeless, cept for that unit, as disgusting as it may be, then my heart goes out to them.

I don't know who is feeling sorry for themselves, I do know that a bucket load of us are really ticked off that we, as Rich said, played by the rules for years, paid our taxes, all that rot, dreamed of our retirement years and traveling or whatever it is that you dreamed of, and we are pretty much sitting here helpless and watching it erode. OKKK, write some letters to your elected officials, vote your conscience, drive green when you can, walk and bike to the store (you bike, I'll still take the green car, 10 miles is just toooo far to go to the store on my bike, sorry ). Drive less, drive slower, turn down the heat, turn up the Air conditioner, do all the right things, have been for years and years and years, and you still are told, inflate your tires, drive with the air conditioner off in your car to save fuel, drive with a buddy (Hey, already doing that one, his name is Al).

Point is, when we are already doing all those things, and when we see our dreams erroding, we are not happy. We do feel rather helpless.

And, we are still thrilled to be making the payments, have medical insurance, the pension check is still being deposited.

I don't believe that being ticked off royal at the economic conditions, that some greedy idiots got us into, is the same as being a victim. Although sometimes it does feel a bit that way, eh???

Again, I will say, for those of you who sold your sticks and bricks and are on the road, and enjoying the life style, that made danged good investments, got a bit lucky in your timing, enjoy what you got.

Do have a bit of trouble tho with you not walking a mile in my shoes or the shoes of that poor couple in that run down piece of a trailer, and then saying, don't play the victim music.

Victim does not equal madder than hades at the way things are going. No, we are not in the sinking boat alone, cripes, look at Europe, I hear they are paying $12.00 a gallon in the Netherlands, I will verify that number with one of my very very very good friends, she lives there. Anyway, I ain't in this sinking ship alone, I have very good friends going with me.

Just cause I am madder than hades, does NOT make me a victim.

Too bad we will probably never find out the real story behind those 4 kids and parents that double lock that ole beat up trailer.

Count your blessings, there but for the grace of God go I, and I ain't no flippin victim!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #35
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I know people personally that are having difficulty that is purely due to the economy downturn that has set them back 40 years and they are starting over with very little. They have worked hard all their lives, did not use drug, are not drunks, etc. They go to church every Sunday, very nice, good people.
But because of bad luck, good investments went bad, house in Fla. would not sell, lost their job, those kind of problems put them just above living on the road.
I live by one thing, "never say never." I don't know where the acusations of hard times equal to problems with drugs, liguor, gambling, bad living.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #36
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I wasnt going to post again on this thread, but just gotta clear up for Patty and david, maybe carol. When I spoke of meth making in a trailer, it was the one at a campground I was at. I posted it right under Dusty/s first post. I was not talking about the trailer at Dustys campground. In my post...There was ..NO DOUBT of guilt of a meth lab in the trailer. I was looking at it after the Law raided it. Just lucky there were no kids involved, only a man and 2 women. Maybe this will clear up some things. Anyways I have more important things to attend to LoL, like getting ready to hook up in the morning.. But I promise...This is my last post on this thread. Dang Gotta be some happy people over that HAHA good night all
Tom
Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can't speak for some of the others but we are a bit angry and upset and this is a place to discuss why.We are in pretty good shape..perhaps our Great adventure is in the crapper for now but we are still very fortunate. We are now at the N.E Rally in Gettysburg, Pa, we are on the road. We do have a summer of shorter trips planned.I drive a school bus for a private school most every day through several Ohio Counties. I see folks in the morning putting 3.00 worth of gas in their cars..Just enough to get to work.We do volunteer work for our local community care. Needy families requesting food had more than tripled in the last 6 months. A mother with a small child,husband laid off, U.C not yet started..no food in the house.. My problem is we see too much pain and suffering.These are just ordinary folks not criminals of any kind..I guess I should just hook up the Montana have some fun and pretend those folks do not exist. Sorry, Can't do it..There are far to many people out there with a I don't care attitude and that is part of the problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #38
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
WTG Rich & Helen, I like your words & love your hearts. Thanx for yet another fab post.

I know Ohio has been hit by this economic tragedy for quite some time now. The fact that you both care enough to put others first is wonderful & heartwarming.

We here in Michigan are close behind you guys in Ohio. It's a sad state of affairs & scary to boot. Can't change the big picture too much individually but sure can make changes that help a fellow human being. Sometimes small changes made by various individuals can collectively be a huge change.

Quote:
quote:Sorry, Can't do it..There are far to many people out there with a I don't care attitude and that is part of the problem.
Amen to that. We all need to care far more & reach out to help others. Our journey here on this earth however brief it is in retrospect is not just about ourselves but rather how we are towards others.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #39
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Amen, Patty.

Nancy
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #40
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yes, I knew it,

This is a VERY INTERESTING thread!

Great input from all, and thanks Rich and Helen for your helping those who surely need it.