Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
California DMV

I am not certain how true this is but I saw on the RV Net the following post.
The poster wrote: "Well today I received a notice from the DMV today requiring me to send in a required medical questionnaire form (not a physical), just questionnaire to fill out and send in by a certain date. "It is required for drivers of firefighting vehicles, Fifth-wheel travel trailers, Hazardous Agricultural Materials and non commercial Class A vehicles". "A DL 546 is required or your privilege to drive the above specified vehicles may be invalid."

I've known about this for some time being a former firefighter , but it looks like the DMV is finally catching on the fithwheel thing lol. Yep since I have a fifth wheel registered out goes my notice.

Anybody else in Calif. get one yet?? The letter also states that anyone "who operates a a Housecar over 40' in length must submit a medical examination form DL 51 or a physicians health report from DL 546A". Further in the post it states that anyone towing a 5th wheel over 10000 lbs must have this endorsement to their class C license.

Has anyone else here heard of this??????????
I have a class C and previously I was advised that you were fine with it up to 15500 on a 5er.
Wanting to know looks like California is up to it again. Nice timing too.

Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have not received anything from DMV yet, but it could be tomorrows mail :-)
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I haven't received anything like that and hope I don't. I looked on my DMV registration, and vehicle type is listed as a trailer. How would the DMV know if we have 5th wheels or TT unless some of the other code numbers on the registration are for a 5th wheel. What is a "non commercial Class A vehicle", a motorhome?
Don't you just love living in CA?
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Yep I agree CA is always up to something and generally not all that great.
A non Commercial License is one that means you are not hauling for hire. I just downloaded that handbook and it states that a Non Commercial Class A Drivers License is required if you pull a TT with a GVWR of 10000 lbs or more or a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 15000 or more. That is going to cover allot of Montana's.
If I understand the Non Commercial Class A it requires a written and possibly a driving test but I do not believe it requires a medical exam. I know that if the GVWR of the 5er is below 15000 and you have a Class C license then all you need is a Recreational Trailer Endorsement. Here is what DMV says about that
"Recreational Trailer Endorsement
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.
* There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
* You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
* You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
* You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
* No other tests are required.

So I suppose we are all going to be studing a bit to get up to speed. Sadly our 5er;s exceed this so i quess we will need Non Commercial Class A licences.

Here is some additional CA DMV information regarding exemptions from a full Commercial Drivers License
"CDL Exceptions
Exceptions to the CDL requirements are:
* Persons exempted under Health and Safety Code §25163.
* Persons operating a vehicle in an emergency situation at the direction of a peace officer.
* Drivers who tow a fifth-wheel travel trailer over 15,000 pounds GVWR or a trailer coach over 10,000 pounds GVWR, when the towing is not for compensation. Drivers must have a noncommercial Class A license.
* Drivers of house cars over 40 feet but not over 45 feet, with endorsement.
* Drivers of only fire fighting vehicles or buses used to travel to and from the scene of any emergency situation. Drivers need either a Class A or B license with a fire fighter restriction. A fire fighter may add a “P” endorsement if the bus is owned by a federal or state agency, a city or county fire department, or a volunteer fire department and when the driving is restricted to operating buses as defined in VC §15250.6(g). All fire fighters, whether they have a CDL or a Class A or B fire fighter-restricted driver license, are subject to commercial driver sanctions.
* A fire fighter with a restricted license who transports compressed air tanks for breathing apparatuses that do not exceed 2,500 pounds.
* Noncivilian military personnel operating military vehicles.
* Implement of husbandry operators who are not required to have a driver license.

I am looking for exactly what the requirements to obtain a Non Commerical CA Drivers License are.
Here is what a Non Commercial Class A license permits you to drive
With a Noncommercial Class A License:
Any vehicles under Class C.
* travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.
* 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs., not used for hire.
*With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:livestock trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR if the vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport livestock to or from a farm, not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, and is used within 150 miles of the person's farm.

Hope this helps when I find out what you have to do to get it I will post that information.
Bob
Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Here they are as promised
Noncommercial Class A Requirements
Adults:
To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:
* Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
* Pay the application fee.
* Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
* Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past 12 months).
* Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
* Pass a vision test.
* Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
* Pass the skills test.
* Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.

Minors

* Complete the items listed above
* Meet the additional requirements listed in the California Driver Handbook in the Provisional License section.

Examinations:

* Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers Law test. You must pass the law test based on the information contained in this booklet. You may take the test at any DMV field office. You may make an appointment online at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-921-1117, DMV's 24/7 voice recognition service.
* Visual Safety Check. Before the pre-trip inspection test, you must demonstrate that the turn signals, brake lights, horn, and emergency flashers are working. This is not part of your pre-trip test. If any of these items are not working properly or are missing, your driving test will be postponed.
* Pre-Trip inspection test. The pre-trip test is a knowledge test. You must identify and explain the features and equipment on the vehicle which should be inspected before operating the vehicle. If your vehicle is equipped with air brakes, you must demonstrate and explain how the air brake system works. Inoperable, missing, or unsafe equipment will postpone the driving test.
* Skills tests. Skills tests are designed to demonstrate your skill in stopping, backing in a straight line, completing a right turn around a cone or marker, and backing into a camping space. These tests are done at low speed and test how well you can maneuver the vehicle. You may make an appointment online at www.dmv.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-921-1117, DMV's 24/7 voice recognition service.
* Driving test. The driving test includes entering and exiting a freeway, freeway driving with lane changes, right and left turns into one-way and two-way traffic, railroad crossings, driving on a grade or steep hill, etc. You may make an appointment by calling 1-800-777-0133. At this time online appointments are not available for driving tests.
* Health Questionnaire. A Health Questionnaire (DL 546) form is required and must be given to DMV for review and approval before your license is issued and then every two years after that. The Health Questionnaire expires two years from your signature date. Failure to maintain a valid Health Questionnaire form with DMV will mean that your license is valid only for Class C and, if endorsed, for Class M1 or M2 vehicles. The Health Questionnaire forms are available online at www.dmv.ca.gov.

Here is a link to the Health Questionare
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dl/dl546.htm
Old 10-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had been a DMV tester for fire dept. for at least 10 years.
The pre-trip is what most people have problems with. Dmv at one time told me it was about 75% of those that failed failed the Pre-trip.
They talked about ding this for years, I guess thy finaly got to it.
If I can help anybody let me know.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I read on one of the RV Forums that some RVers had been stopped in the Sacramento area for some traffic violation. And when the officer checked the trailer and saw that the trailer GVW was listed at more than 10001 pounds AND the driver did NOT have an RV exemption they had to drop their trailer or let someone who had the proper license drive. So folks would have to leave their rigs on the side of the road and go to the nearest DMV and get the exemption.

I can't imagine that happening but I am just reporting what I read. This made me decide to study up for the RV test and go in and get the exemption. It is a piece of cake...... once you can get to someone who even knows about this process. And easy 20 question test. No medical.

So got that done and now have the following on the backside of my CADL: "41. May tow fifth wheel recreational trailer between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds GVWR."

My guess is that a person could probably drive a lifetime and never run into a situation as described above. However with my luck I'd get stopped as soon as I hooked up my rig!

The kicker to this whole thing is that a year after I got the code 41 exemption I got a renewal in the mail. I have to take a significant amount of pain killer medication. I duly reported all my medical information. Shortly thereafter I received a small "book" to fill out then take to my doctor or doctors! Long story but they eventually said to comply with request for all medical info ASAP or DL would be suspended. I ended up having to go in for a "special" interview. Passed that one and was told to report for a driving test. Took that and passed with flying colors. So all is well that ends well but it was an ordeal.

I have one more year before DL expires. It will be interesting to see what they want this next go around.

I would guess that most Montanas will fall somewhere in the 10,001 and 15,000 pound GVWR area. That means that in the state of California one needs to have the code 41 OR a class A DL of some sort to be legal. I do not follow the model info too closely so don't know how many Montana models are over the 15,001 GVWR.

Just be aware of the legal requirements and make your decision based on full knowledge.

It would be interesting to know what other states requirements are regarding this issue. By the way it is NOT how much the trailer actually weighs: It is the number on the sticker on the side of the trailer.

Good luck Bob.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I'm going to add in here some more information about California laws pertaining to pulling a 5th wheel over 10,000 lbs and under 15,000 lbs:

Page 11 of the California Motor Vehicle "Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook" states:

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

• There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
• You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based
on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the
Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the
past twelve months.
• You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
• You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational
Trailer endorsement to your current license.
• No other tests are required.

Lots (but certainly not all) of the Montanas fit in this range and most folks won't need to have a Non-Commercial Class A license.

Our 3295RK GVWR comes in at about 14,300 so we only need the "fifth wheel recreational trailer" endorsement on our California licenses. When we upgrade our Montana, we'll be trying to keep the new one under 15,000 lbs GVWR.

Here's a link to the entire California Booklet of "Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook" if someone wants to see it:

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Yeah i know and the Big Sky is stamped 15600 so I will need the Non Commercial CLass A not the Recreational Vehicle Endorsement to the Class C.
So I will have to fill out health wuationare, take written and then skills and driving test.
At this time I still have my TT and it would qualify as it is stamped 11000. I won't have the 5er till early December.
I have no idea which one would be easier to test with. Possibly the TT.
To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:
* Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
* Pay the application fee.
* Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
* Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past 12 months).
* Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
* Pass a vision test.
* Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
* Pass the skills test.
* Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Seems like Calif is the first in most everything but it will spread to all states..There has been talk of something similar here in Ohio. I have always been a advocate of some sort of MEANINGFUL testing for RV drivers. I know most rv drivers will says they are the best drivers on the road but IMO they are among some of the worst.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I received mine and signed it and sent it back and thats all there was to it. DMV doesnt require a doctors signsture on this form just where your health care is and the doctors name.
Oh there is no driving test for an endorcement on a class "C"

http://i24.tinypic.com/331qan7.jpg

Look at the last sentance in section 2 of required medical report, that is all I filled out for DMV
Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Glad I changed my residence from California to South Dakota last year.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Wow and I haven't had to see a doctor in probably 3 years. So my questionnaire should be simple to complete. In fact I don't even have the same doctor our health care planned changed on 1/1/07 and I haven't been to our new doctor yet. We have Blue Cross so I just put the best recollection of my last visit and my last (for 20 yrs) doctors name and info.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

Wow and I haven't had to see a doctor in probably 3 years. So my questionnaire should be simple to complete. In fact I don't even have the same doctor our health care planned changed on 1/1/07 and I haven't been to our new doctor yet. We have Blue Cross so I just put the best recollection of my last visit and my last (for 20 yrs) doctors name and info.
Here is the form where you can fill out on line and then print a copy that will be filled out to mail to the DMV.
TT2

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dl/dl546.pdf