Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Blue Ox Bed Saver

Has anyone tried the Blue Ox bed saver? I have seen it in use but haven't had a chance to talk to an owner. Several folks have referred 'DA Saver' for us Dumb A--es that don't get the 5er pin locked and drop the rig on the pick-up sides. Just lucky I haven't done it with my new truck or my new rig. I have however done it in the past very humbling. Saw these in Tweety's catalog and was just hoping there is someone that has tried one. I really don't wish to repeat that experience again Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had one since day one.If you have never made a mistake and will never make one you do not need the bed saver. If there is s chance that you may error.. the Bedsaver is a great investment. Although the odds of ole perfect Rich making a mistake is slim ..we did ..just for the fun of it..get the bedsaver, V tailgate, Rear view Camera, Doran Tire pressure Monitor. We also have the Garman GPS in the off chance that I may not know where I am going and a CB just in case I may need to ask a question..Highly unlikely of course. Oh yea..the surge protector and the auto former also although everywhere we go the power is always perfect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ahhhh, well, I have one and it has been 'Field tested'....it worked for me.
Would not be without it. Mine was put into use by a rather bizarre set of events probably not duplicated my many. I'll see if I can find the pictures.
I had uneven parking, so I put my air bag level 'pillows' under one side, chocked (one side) of the trailer. Pulled the pin, and whoops! It was raining, I was in a hurry, I was new at 5th wheeling, and it was about the 3rd time I had parked the rig.
I now have my Roto-lock wheel chocks, and chock both sides.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0038.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0036.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0035.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor025.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Damn, Ozz, that a convincing set of pics. As soon as I finish my coffee I will order mine. It looks like you might have gotten yours at a show from that last pic. They are 189.95 at tweety's I will shop around a bit but it took me a day or two just to find some place that had them. If anyone has a better place to order from please drop me a line.
Rich, I have several friends who we travel with sometimes and I had asked one of them about the Ox. Of course he gave me old "Look before you leap" lecture because he has been doing this about ten years longer than I have. That night his wife showed us pics of his premature "leap" before looking. I really liked the huge V-grooves in his bed rails. Thanks for the responses... Dave and Betsy
Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
www.rvupgrades.com about the same price I think but shipping may be free..Check them out. You have made a wise decision..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:12 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Bed Saver's are worth every penny of their cost.
Fortunately with the SuperGlide I don't need one

OZZ, hope you don't mind but that last photo of your hitch and bed saver was a tad on the dark side making it difficult to see the bed saver. I cropped it and adjusted the contrast.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Hey Ozz, is there any drilling involved, I have a Reese 16K? Dave and Betsy
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, also, bought the Bed Saver. As we age, so goes our brain. Brain farts seems to be coming at an alarming pace so anything I can do for protection is worth the $$$$$$$. They are "hitch" specific, meaning mine just bolted to my hitch with no drilling. I don't know about other hitches. I have the Husky E-Z Roller hitch for short bed trucks, BTW in my 5 months of fulltiming so far, I have not had to use my slider yet. I do watch closely though. I look at the bed saver as an insurance policy and the money paid was cheap premium.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is a bolt on, most cases, The Blue Ox people will match your hitch with the correct unit.
I also have not had to use the slider feature on my Husky E-Z roller, but it is there if I need it.
How are you feeling Phil? Do you have a surgery date yet?
Good luck to you on that.
Glenn, I don't mind a bit, thank you for going to the trouble.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Just got off the phone with my (look before you leap) buddy and he is thinking of getting a Blue Ox unit too. Ain't that the berries? You can teach old dogs new tricks. do any of you know of another supplier that has the Blue Ox besides Tweety's? I like to shop around. Thanks... Dave and Betsy
Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Well I ordered the Bed Saver, I saved about 25 dollars by ordering it from RV Upgrades instead of Tweety's. RV Upgrades was only 4.00 less but shipping was way cheaper. It should be here Monday, just in time to finish packing. Then a couple days to close up the house(while living in the BS and then off we go SOUTH. Heading for Savannah via Baton Rouge. I-39 to I-55 to I-10 to I-95 to Savannah. Going to go the long way around to avoid most of the mountains to get used to this rig. It is just a bit bigger than the Jayco. Thanks for all the info on the Bed Saver, it made up my mind for me. When we get to Savannah I will order the electrical goodies... Dave and Betsy
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Good Insurance! I dropped my Montana on my truck a week before I was
too trade for my new 2007 Classic which was coming in. Major damage to my 2005 2500HD 6.0, but they still made the trade and didn't squawk too much. That's a real sickening noise to hear when you know what has happened immediately after pulling forward.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think I ordered mine from Blue Ox directly.

Ozz, Surgery on 26 Oct. 0900 tee time on 27th, (Naught) lol
Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Does anyone know a manufacture that makes a bed saver for the Reese Signature Series. Blue Ox doesn't.
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Get the Blue Ox, then take it to a welder and he can adapt it...I bet. (If you can't find another manufacturer, I don't know of any.)
Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Blue Ox does make a bed saver for a Reesr hitch. I ordered and installed one on a 16K Reese November 2006. I ordered it from Kaiser Brake & Alignment Inc in Eugene Oregon 541-877-5890. The cost with shipping was $170.04.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I believe the Signature Series have the rounded sides on them and there in lies the problem. I couldn't find one listed in their selection guide. Best bet is to call them and talk to their tech dept. I got mine today, took me an extra hour to install it because the bottom holes were about 1/4 hole shy of being lined up. Of course I couldn't find my good 1/2" drill bit so had to "waller" out the hole with a 7/16. Took a bit of doing but it is in and looks good. It does take up a bit more bed room but thats ok. Better that than having smucked down rails... Dave and Betsy
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Good move Dave. I hope I never have the opportunity to see how mine works, as I'm sure everyone else feels the same way. Still a little reassuring to hve the added protection.....

Phil
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Well even if it isn't a case of cerebral flatulence (read brain fart) things do stick sometimes and you end up with an ooops! Since the truck is only 18 months old and the 5er is 2 days old I don't even want to go there. Even my best friend in Va., who used to lecture me on attention to detail mad, dropped his Challenger on his Dodge and made really cool looking V-grooves in his rails. I still chuckle about that one when he isn't looking. Anyway better safe blah,blah,blah. Next thing on the list is two foam fire extinguishers... Dave and Betsy
Old 10-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #20
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Hey Glenn, just because you have a super glide doesn't mean you can't drop it on the bed. I have a super glide 18 and the second time I hooked up I thought I was hooked up and pulled ahead, fortunately slowly and BAM!!!!! dropped on the bed rails, no damage, but I now know to double check and make sure I am really locked in before pulling forward.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote