Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Annual Inspections and Checks

My 3475 is about 1 year old (took delivery in March 2006). Looking thru all the warranty and info stuff from everyone who supplied Keystone with equipment, I could only find the Dometic Refrig required an annual inspection of the heater. Keystone also lists the LP system for inspection. Also in Texas, the trailer requires an annual inspection that costs $12.50. Does anyone get anything else inspected on an annual basis??

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tim,

I would add -

Replace batteries in your smoke detector and CO2 detector.

Test all three detectors.

a couple of shots of grease in the hubs.

I'm curious - what does the State inspect? We don't have a requirement.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

My 3475 is about 1 year old (took delivery in March 2006). Looking thru all the warranty and info stuff from everyone who supplied Keystone with equipment, I could only find the Dometic Refrig required an annual inspection of the heater. Keystone also lists the LP system for inspection. Also in Texas, the trailer requires an annual inspection that costs $12.50. Does anyone get anything else inspected on an annual basis??
We only get our truck and Montana inspected when we are in Texas--usually in October/November. We never had anything inside the rig inspected, that's strictly a personal thing. We never had our fridge inspected and after four years it failed. It was taken care of under the extended warranty and there was nothing said about not having done yearly inspections. I don't believe the manufacturers will hold you liable if you don't have these things inspected yearly.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

In my opinion it might not be a bad idea to do an annual self inspection on the rig Check makes sure all the vents are clear, drain working on the fridge, filter clean above the stove, no grease build up in hood, etc etc., Think I'll do that on the new 3400 when we get it just start a list of things that I cn inspect on my own without speciaized tools etc.
rick,,,,,check spelling
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know if I made a post on this forum or not. But we have a regular routine maint program that we are very serious about, Hold over from a previous life that we know brings results.We have a regular schedule of Daily, weekly monthly, semi annual and annual checks. Example we do a walk around inspection every single day looking for drips, leaks, low tires, things hanging, loose this or that, etc.Most manufacturer manuals will have a maint/inspection schedule and common sense can add other items.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I do routine maintenance and inspections but leave things like the LP system and trailer brakes to trained technicians. In Texas, I understand the inspection covers the brakes (I guess to see if they work), brake lights and trailer lights. What a deal for $12.50!!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that's about all we have done
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We have State required inspections in Virginia, they basically look at the breaks and tires for nominal fee. I have this done in the early Spring as part of my de-winterizing. At that time I will consider repacking the wheel bearings and do a complete run through of all systems in the Monty.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
My state inspection guy (Texas) doesn't even check the brakes other than the brake light - I guess he figures if I could stop without plowing into his place, then the brakes must be working !
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Note to Orv, Dometic will hold you responsible for not doing the annual check-up on the fridge. Experience talking here. Not so with some of the after-market extendeds. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Don't know if I made a post on this forum or not. But we have a regular routine maint program that we are very serious about, Hold over from a previous life that we know brings results.We have a regular schedule of Daily, weekly monthly, semi annual and annual checks. Example we do a walk around inspection every single day looking for drips, leaks, low tires, things hanging, loose this or that, etc.Most manufacturer manuals will have a maint/inspection schedule and common sense can add other items.
Sound like a pre flight and a post flight to me.

You can take the folks out of the FAA, but can't take the FAA out of the folks!!

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have never done the inspections. In our 3295RK, when the fridge was 2 years old it developed a crack in the freezer. Dometic replaced the fridge and never asked about inspections. I cannot guarantee they won't ask you, but they did not ask us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote