Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Since we left home in March we've run into the problem about 10 times. It was particularly upsetting when we had earned a Fred Meyers "$.10 off per gallon on your next purchase" and when we used that "coupon", we were limited to $35 worth of fuel because I used my debit card at the pump. The cashier in the booth was of no help so I went back into the store and was successful at escalating to the MOD. The only purpose it served was to raise my bp. They would do nothing.

At diesel prices of $3.00 to $3.50 a gallon, a $35 or $50 or even a $75 limit makes no sense in and of itself but even less logical is why is it OK to pay inside and have no limit? I have paid inside and they do nothing to further secure the transaction. Is just makes no sense.

There must be something that I do not understand. I am going to continue to voice my opinion to the parent companies until someone provides a logical explanation.

Meanwhile, we can all vote with our feet.

Virgil & Jo Allmond
1997 F250HD 4X4 Crewcab Shortbox 7.3 PSD, 216,000+miles
Manual, Superchip, K&N aircharger, Pyrometer,
5" Exhaust,SuperGlide 16K,Honda EU2000i,

STICK HOUSE IS IN Suches, GA

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN Valdez, Alaska

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Ever wonder why a child can't read a Bible in school but can in prison?

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #22
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
This is interesting since I have not run into this problem in the New England area yet and I hope it stays that way. Maybe I just haven't reached a $75 limit yet but I have not seen any signs indicating a limit either. I'm still paying $2.99 a gallon at my local station but paid as much as $3.15 while traveling in NH.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pete, I've never seen a sign about a max. I just found out when the pump suddenly slowed and then crawled the last few cents to the limit. Frustrating. Diesel at the cheapest place around here (KC, MO) is the Walmart station at 3.099. Everyone else is a dime more.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #24
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I thought the same thing as Steve when I read about the sign. In neither case of my experience was there any sign or other indication of a limit. The pump just stopped suddenly at exactly $75.00. In my case there was no slowing, no indication of anything different, until the pump shut off. As I said earlier, it was not a problem and (at the prevailing price at that time) almost filled my talk anyway.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #25
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I agree with all of the posts on this thread...this is very upsetting and is totally uncalled for by the stations.

The first time it happened to me was a $50 cut off on a debit/credit card. I obtained the 1-800 customer service number for the company and called in a complaint. Their explanation was my bank had set the cut off limit at $50 on a debit card or $75 as a credit card.

I contacted my bank and they informed me there was no limit on a single purchase on the card as long as the balance in my account would cover the purchase. This is the thinking behind a station or company policy that protects them from overdrafting.

However, if I use a standard credit card the same rules apply and I do not appreciate them being able to dictate to me how I can use a credit card or purchase fuel.

Charlie
2001 F-250 Lariat SC 4x2 LB 7.3L PSD
BD Power ECM 80 HP Performance Chip
BD Power X-Monitor LED Digital Gauges
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
2005 3295RK

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #26
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The limits are set by the credit card companies, read it on the pump today.

04 Silver Dodge Laramie QC 3500 DRW, HO Diesel, 2wd, 6spd, LB, 4.10, Sport pkg, Bun warmers, Jake.

2004 Big Sky 3670RL, Fireplace, Sat Dish/Dig Readout, Cent Vac, Big Sky & Value Pkg, 2 Fantastic Fans, Basement Tray, Safety Glass, 2 Batts, Pressure Pro
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:37 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That seems strange since I use the same card for fuel every time and only occasionally do I hit a pump with a $50 limit. And most of the time I'm buying more than $50 in fuel. I would think it would be the station or their parent who sets the policy but I have no facts on this.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-17-2006, 05:54 AM   #28
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
When you sign a contract for a cc, you agree to be responsible for the first 50 dollars in the case of cc fraud. A station when agreeing and signing a contract, agrees to assorb any cc fraud use over the 50 dollars. By doing this, they reduce their cost from 7% down to 1 1/4 percent. There are some that are in the middle of that range.
So if someone stole you cc, went to the pump, inserted it , remember no signature of chance of checking your id, filled up 35 cars at 50 bucks, the station would lose no money. Now that if that same person took an HDT in filled up for 750.00, the station would lose 700 dolars. That is why the stations have limits on cc and debit card purchases.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #29
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Can't speak for all, but in my own case the limit is NOT set by the credit card company. On the same trip where those two pumps stopped at $75.00 I was able to fill up completely at other locations. I think FulltimeFollies is on the right track.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #30
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
FTFollies,

So why is it that I can buy as much as I want inside the station? They never take any additional security measures.

Your explantion makes good sense one one hand but not the other???

Virgil & Jo Allmond

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN Valdez, Alaska

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Old 08-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #31
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
The reason that you can buy all you want INSIDE, is because the CC companies know that a thief will not take a chance on having to show proof of ID. If you stole a CC, would you place yourself in a position to be identified?

Another is that on most CC contracts , the STORE, must agree to check ids, or they eat the losses. So under your assumption, a thief steals a cc, goes in and buys say, 150.00 and the clerk doesnt check for id, and it is kicked back by the CC company. Now the store eats all but the original 50 bucks that the holder has to eat.
That is why now, most stores check for ids , you know Home Depot, Lowes, and a lot of the big box stores now require additonal ids when using a CC.

(So why is it that I can buy as much as I want inside the station? They never take any additional security measures. )

In 1996, we cleared CC Receipts for a large CC company contractor and found out why we only now use one cc and pay it off each month.

Yes. they post that note on some pumps, but fail to tell you that the reason the CC company sets the limit is due to the contract that THEY sign and agree to do, not the CC company. Actually the CC company doesnt care one way or another, as they do not eat any losses, due to the holder paying the first 50 and the store everything over that for a reduced rate of charge on their receipts. Can you imagaine how much money a gas station or truck stop generates in 7 days, and how many cc receipts they have? Some stations pay as much as 8% on EACH receipt.

FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Glenn,
I take it you only carry one credit card??
IF you had a second, you could have used it, right?? wrong??
Carol
Actually I have a few cards but it's my Chase Card that I was using. The Chase card gives me a 5% rebate which is 15¢ a gallon at 3 bucks. None of the others we carry do that.
I even carry the Wal*Mart Discover Card but that's only 3¢ a gallon.

I would boycot WallyWorld if I thought it would do anything but than again WallyWorld is our favorite store.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #33
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

We use Wal-Mart's reloadable Shopping Card whenever possible for the .03/gal discount - we load it up with a credit card that also gives a discount so we are "double dipping". It's not much but every penney counts these days.
Vanman, Using my Chase Card in the store is not considered a fuel purchase and therefore I lose my 5% discount. I have a Wal*Mart Discover card I could have used but that only gives 3¢ a gallon off.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:22 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I think you have the same card I do. Some store purchases generate a smaller discount. 1% if I recall. Some lodging purchases generate a good discount, forgot the percentage. So I use that same card for CG's, not knowing for sure if I'm getting the discount or not. I do know yesterday I clicked the link for another check, this one for $62 and change. I'm over the $200 mark for the year on rebate checks from them. I wish I could find another card like this one as I will hit the $300 yearly limit by the end of October.

By the way, I discovered something. I have checkwriting privileges at Flying J, in order to get the cash price. We discovered that they give the same cash price when using a credit card. Just swipe the FJ card first, then the CC. We've now done this at FJ in several states. This way I get FJ's cash price AND 5% rebate from the CC company.

Carol, I have yet to run into a situation where I cannot just take the receipt, reinsert the same CC, then resume pumping. It is not a CC limit, it's a station limit per transaction. What I'm doing is two transactions on the same CC.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #35
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
I got the following response from Tesoro. This is the first respopnse I've received.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Tesoro.

Credit card auto-shut off limits set at the pump are dictated by the credit card company. Tesoro has no control over the limit that other companies set. Tesoro only has control over the auto-shutoff limits set for the Tesoro fleet & consumer credit cards. This shut-off limit is set for fraud protection since ID is not required for purchases made at the pump. The only way to avoid the shut-off limit is to pay inside the store. The auto-shutoff limit is usually $50-$75 for most major credit card companies......"

I followed up with this message back to her;
Kimberly,

My credit card company does not set a limit. I use this card at other brand stations at the pump with no limit. If necessary, I can get my credit card company to respond in writing and prove to you that they are not setting the limit.
I appreciate your response but would also like a complete answer

We'll wait and see how or if she responds.

Virgil & Jo Allmond

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN White Horse, YT, Canada

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Old 08-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd bet that "set by the credit card companies" really means if they want the lower rate from the credit card company. Like you I have used this card all over the country and only encountered a limit at a few stations. The CC company may dictate the terms at each level they offer to the retailer but the retailer chooses which of those levels to use.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #37
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Steve,
I think you nailed it my brother. So, my conclusion is if the retailer chooses to take that "level" of discount from the cc company, then I can buy my fuel elsewhere. Otherwise, I am inconvienienced for a higher profit margin for the retailer.
I'm still making my feelings known to the "corporate offices" each time I encounter the problem.

Virgil & Jo Allmond

TODAY WE ARE IN A 3555RL IN White Horse, YT, Canada

See Our blog at...
Virgil47's Blog
Old 10-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #38
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
Send a message via AIM to RadioMan
Hemlockusa,
Where did you get that usaa card that will give you 10 % back? I googled usaa but there is too much out there to read it all. Thanks
RadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #39
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
Send a message via AIM to RadioMan
I also have a AAA Visa credit card that gives 5% back if purchased at the pump. You are also required to make equal or greater purchase amounts of other products besides fuel to qualify. Yes I run into the $50 limit quite often. But I can usually tell by my fuel guage when I can fill up and stay within or close to the %50 limit. The other limit with this card is $60 per day in fuel purchases. So there are limits. That's why I was asking about where to get this 10% card.
RadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:40 AM   #40
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This topic is one of the reasons I would not be without my commercial cardlock. I can hold up to 400 bucks worth of fuel ( actually 80 dollars worth of fuel and 320 dollars of taxes.......... but this is Canada , land of free medical )

Most retail stations cut you off at 100 bucks so I would have to go back four times.

I use Petro Pass but I also have a Chevron Cardlock. Fresh fuel and acres of room to fit into plus good places to eat. Get a cardlock and leave the retail stations for Honda Civics.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote