Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
Adding engine gauges.

We pull a 2006 344RET with a 2008 F-250 Power stroke, and I would like to add an EGT gauge, engine oil temp gauge, and manifold pressure gauge; yes, I have a factory MP gauge, but want something better. I like the ones I've found online that plug into the OBDll Port, but they appear to be programmers as well, and I am not looking for a programmer. Any suggestions?

jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You can get AutoMeter gauges along with gauge pods from Summit or Jegs just throwing out an idea. There are several diesel websites that detail the various gauge installs. Here's just a few for starters.
www.thedieselstop.com/
www.powerstroke.org/
www.blackclouddiesel.com/
www.powerstrokediesel.com/
Although my Powerstroke is older ... the pyro install requires a hole drilled and tapped in the exhaust manifold to get pre turbo temps. It sounds like a job, but it is really quite simple using a hand drill and a few simple hand tools. The tranny temp sending unit just fits on one of the cooler lines with a supplied fitting. Boost can be tapped into an existing line near the Y pipes on your intake. power for your gauge lights can be supplied off one of the dash light wires ... a schemetic is handy, but you can use a test light and hunt for one. This was all generic info, but as I mentioned above, there are many websites detailing what you want to do ... just Google it. Some even have video of the install. That being said ... a programmer makes it all much simpler ... even if you never use the programmer it's all pretty much plug and play nowdays. By the time you buy 3 gauges and the pillar pod to put them in, you'll have some coin invested.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Yes, BUT, not only will they be highly functional but the "cool factor" meter will be pegged right out!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

By the time you buy 3 gauges and the pillar pod to put them in, you'll have some coin invested.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The ScanGuage II is a non-intrusive display which will display (for your 6.4L engine) everything you ask including three different EGT sensor values (non of which are true EGT but give you an idea of what is going on). It is a inexpensive unit particularly compared a tuner.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Like Carl said the Scan Gauge II is a good inexpensive unit that measures approx. 25 engine parameters, BUT does not measure true pre turbo EGTs which is most important.

I would recommend the Edge Insight CTS Monitor. It is a little bigger than than the SG II but is a color touch screen that IMO is better to see at a quick glance. And has the ability to add a sensor for EGTs pre turbo,turbo timer, back up camera and others.

Below is the website for the Scan Gauge and Edge.
http://www.scangauge.com/ and http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=145&pvk=405

I am in no way affiliated with either product, just looking to help a fellow Ford owner. And of course all this is just my opinion.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Adding individual gages does require wiring and as mentioned installing a probe for the exhaust temperature. It's not rocket science, but it does require the skills I mentioned and some planning to make them look right. Also, if you plan on mounting them in a gage pod along the pillar, you will have to paint the pod to match your interior. I did mine (Boost, Engine Oil and EGT) in stages, but altogether, I would say it took the better part of a day, not including the time for the paint to dry. The trick to doing the exhaust probe is to drill and tap the hole while the engine is running. That way, any chips created are blown back out of the manifold.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
IIRC, there is a procedure in drilling the exhaust pipe that allows for the shavings to be extruded as opposed to being blown out the exhaust, but I can't find where I read it. I don't think the shavings will make it out the exhaust because they'll settle in the muffler or some other place and I really don't know if this is a good thing.

Sorry for seemingly disagreeing with Tom S., but since I read that procedure I was guessing that it's not a good thing that any debris ends up going out the back pipe. Also, I'm not as talented to do that kind of drilling with the engine on.

I do know that installing an exhaust gauge WILL involve drilling to measure the correct temp at the correct point right at where the exhaust is at its hottest. I had an EGT on another truck that someone else installed for me and it worked great. I don't have one on my current truck so I must baby it, since experience tells me the EGT does get up there when towing and the heavy driving conditions occur. I think it's short-sighted of the manufacturers NOT to provide this, but it seems they don't like to add cost or promote this as a potential problem.

Everyone has posted great ideas and the links are fantastic. I know others who have used any of the above solutions and are quite happy with the results. Something is way better than nothing.

I hope jkpruitt posts what they do. It will be a fun read.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Yes, BUT, not only will they be highly functional but the "cool factor" meter will be pegged right out!
X2 on the cool factor
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, the issue isn't with chips going out the exhaust pipe. The best place to put the probe is in the manifold that supplies exhaust to the turbo charger, and chips going through the turbo could be a very bad thing because not only could they do damage to the turbo, but the next stop would be the engine. All in all, not a good thing!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Try http://www.drewtech.com/enthusiast/index.html. With the Dash Daq you can monitor every signal your Ford puts out and there are dozens and set warnings when any gets out of bounds. I monitor 10 at a time.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I got mine from Geno's in GA. they are auto meter egt,trans temp and boost plus pillar pod and everything to hook them up for a little under 300$ and a big plus is they are made in the USA indiana IIRC. drilling the ex manifold is easy just put some heavy grease on the drill bit rite before it cuts thought and use a small pin magnet to get any pcs that may have fallen in. And There is alot of "Cool Factor".
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
jkpruitt
Established Member

M.O.C. #12232
There sure ae a lot of choices.
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote