Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ditto on the good luck with the Carrier low profile unit. It is the ONLY unit that would allow me to store my RV in the existing shed that I have. Also I am several inches LESS than 13 feet, so as long as the clearance is 13 feet or more, I know that I am safe to go. Glad I got it while it was available.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:50 AM   #22
Montana_10714
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10714
Getting ready to order a Montana 3580....
Would you recommend getting a 15k A/C in the living room and a 13.5k in the bedroom ? or both 13.5k ?
Thanks
Montana_10714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would go with the first option ... A 13.5K in the LR area won't be enough and there will probably be times when you can only use one A/C and you'll want that extra 1.5K of BTUs at that time.

The BR A/C has a lot less air space to cool and the extra will fall into the main living room areas. The LR A/C will generally be the one running most of the time and with the majority of the slides creating all the extra air space, you'll definitely want the strongest unit available if you are relegated to a 30amp connection.

I'm actually surprised you didn't mention the double 15K units. This might be even better. Summer time temps in Texas and the rest of the southern U.S. can get pretty hot. However, 13.5K seems to be acceptable in the BR and using a little less BTUs means you can use other electrical appliances (i.e., microwave) when connected to 50amp.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We have 15K in the LR and 13.5K in the BR. Works great here in the Dallas area. Both are ducted. When we watch TV in the evening we turn off the LR a/c and it's quiet at that end of the trailer while the bedroom a/c is running. When we go to bed we reverse them. With both running during the day we can keep it right at 72 with outside temps at 100+.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Some places (Pennsylvania comes to mind) the posted clearance is only for the left hand lane with the clearance in the right lane being "slightly" less but who wants to "slightly" crunch their a/c unit.

We went with the dometic 13.5K low profile for our front a/c. Lisa (ms mcgyver) had the dealer that did the work for us (Chesapeake RV Solutions) use the prewiring BUT disconnect the line where it connected to the AC distribution panel and connect it to a 50 Ft. 20 AMP heavy duty extension cord. I then routed the cord over into the convienince center. Now when we pull in, I route the extension cord out through the bottom along with the water lines and plug it in to the 15amp plug that most power pedestal's have. This makes it easy to run both A/Cs if we only have 30 amp available, I can run the A/C at the house or in the storage yard without having to mess with the anaconda.....

We do the same as described above when watching TV although at night we mostly run the bedroom unit as we like the white noise (drowns out the trains, jets, my cpap, etc.)
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I will put my 2 cents in. I put a 15K in the bedroom, when I pull in, I turn them both on and it cold down in a hurry. We turn off the downstairs unit...too noisy, leave the bedroom unit running, place a quiet fan at the top of the stairs and blow the cool air down. If it is real HOT one would be glad to have the extra BTU's, for the cost difference, why not?
I have clearance problems because of the sat. dome. 13'6" Oh Mamma!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #27
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

My opinion, Carrier, low profile.
This is what we went with and we are very happy!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #28
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
On our 3465Sa we just purchased, I had the dealer swap out the standard height front A/C for a low profile, due to clearance concerns on my storage shed. The standard A/C was 13'4" with the fiver level, and the low-pro is 12'8". After measuring, the standard would have just cleared the shed roof, but I wouldn't have been able to raise it of the hitch. The shorter one also looks better IMHO.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #29
debbi

M.O.C. #10946
We are getting ready to sell it all, and purchase the 3750. Instead of installing a second a/c we thought we would keep the portable room size a/c from Costco and use that in the LR. Has anyone does this and does it work out ok?

thanks
debbi
debbi is offline   Reply With Quote