Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Dealer Orientation at PBI

Just wondered, how many of you were taken through the steps to remedy failed devices. Namely, manually retracting the slides when they fail, the electric awning, torquing the lugs, things that prevent you from getting home when they fail at the campsite.

My guess is that the potential failure of these systems and how to get home is something either glossed over or not at all discussed let alone demonstrated. What was your experience.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,
It's been a few years since we had our walk through and the old gray matter does not retain memories like it once did. But I do not believe we were given any instruction on such items by the dealership representative. Thankfully we had a friend with us who took us under his wing and we got all of that "good" stuff from him. He saved us a great deal of frustration and we really appreciated it.

Our friend has since passed on but I know he is watching and enjoying our RVing experiences. He 'rides' along on each and every trip. We miss him terribly.

Good luck,
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Our dealer tech took us through all the steps including the emergency slide retract, removing the spare, etc. The smartest thing I did was video tape the whole thing because there was no way my little brain could retain all that new information. I then made a dvd out of the tape and put it in the cabinet by the dvd player. Good thing too because the first time I put out the awning, and again when it was time to retract it, I needed a refresher. Once I even thought, he never said anything about something until I reviewed the dvd. Yeah, he covered it all.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Not here!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
D Lefevre
Established Member

M.O.C. #10268
When we purchased our 2007 Montana, the dealer gave me a walk through showing how the drawers and doors opened and shut. Had to learn all the rest by ourselves. We also got caught with the slides out and no way to get them in, no book can in the trailer about the slides and how to get them in. Had to set until I could get ahold of Keystone to fine out how to get sides in manually. Love my trailer but have to learn from this site or by trial and error. We owned the Montana for 2 years before I found out about this club.
D Lefevre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Nosticks Thanks for posting this question. I have just certified as a Walk through tech this last July. I plan on going to the dealers in St. George, Ut and Mesquite Nv. To see if they will let me show new owners how to do all the things you just mentioned. The Texas Professor said there is a need for this all over the U.S.A and Canada. So all the imput I can get from you all helps me to know what Owner's will want to know the most about thier unit. Thanks again.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Our dealer had a RV tech take us through all the components, including the emergency operations like the slide retract, removing the spare, reseting the heater, etc... We also went through our friends PDI with them and their RV tech...same as what we received. Very through. And anything we found not working 100% correct was fixed right there and then, as we watch. Great dealer.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote