Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Duramax owners and Banks equipment

How many of you Duramax owners have put on any of the Banks Equipment on your tow vehicle. Sprimarily the Stinger Intake and exhaust system with the OttoMind6 tuner. I saw this at the RV show and just wondered if any of our group have it on their TV's.
Also have any of you added the Super Scoop inlet to get cooler denser air from out side the engine compartment?

If you have done any of these to your engine I would like to know the outcome and your overall satisfaction with the product.

Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I believe you'll find many here are mindful of their warranties.
Since my truck is new, I check with the dealer to make sure I'm not voiding that 100k warranty I have.
I just called them today about a pyro and boost guage. I may even try to get them to install them just to make sure my warranty is in tact.
Even if it costs me a few extra bucks to do it.

That being said, intakes (depending on how new your truck is) aren't doing much better than stock, in fact, many are worse.
A good exhaust gets a wee bit more power, but drops the EGT's by a fair margin.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Ozzie:

Couple of things. If I were to install the Banks Monster Exhaust which per backs reduces back pressure up to 98% which seems a bit much to me, as I beleive that backpressure is necessary to some extent, I can certainly imagine that it should reduce EGT's some. When you say drops EGT's by a fair margin are you saying 100 degrees or more? That would be worth it to think that getting that hot exhaust out and not forcing it to remain would be beneficial and if it dropped temps like 100-150 that would be a major selling point to me. Even a bit of HP gain probably no more than 10 or 12 HP would not hurt but that would not be my reason for doing so. I would imagine that reducing the backpressure would also enhance the factory air intake as air flow would be hindered by backpressure or am I wrong there.
Also has anyone with a Duramax used the Banks Techni Cooler their intercooler system. And does it work off the stock air filter or only from the Banks Ram Air.
Once again thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
Check out the dieselplace.com You will find a wealth of information regarding intakes, exhaust, chips, and programmers. Some members have never had a problem with any of the modifications while others have had nothing but problems. Having a family member who is linked in with GM, I can say that many dealerships are not honoring warranty work or willing to work on vehicles with the types of modifications you mentioned. Just check with your local servicing dealership to get their official stance on service and warranty work with modifications before you proceed.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I drive a stock 2005 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax which is still under warranty. Having said that I have found absolutely NO REASON to change the set up that GM put in my TV. This set up has done everything and more that I wanted it to do. I am 100% satisfied to leave well enough alone.
Now think about this...
Ford, Dodge and GM are constantly in competition with each other. Each one is doing their utmost to out do the other especially when it come to the engines MPG and pulling power. If these "aftermarket" goodies were all the "aftermarket" folks say they are don't you think one of the big three would already be offering such goodies either stock or as an option? There has to be a reason that the big 3 doesn't want you messing up what they put together.
It is your TV and you can do whatever you see fit BUT if the engine and tranny are still under warranty I would be especially careful about making any changes that would effect that warranty. I would be extra careful about taking advice off of Internet forums about such goodies. I strongly suggest contacting GM directly, not the dealer, before making such a decision. Afterall, it's GM that carries the warranty NOT the dealer. The dealer is in business to make money and sometimes they will bend the rules for the extra bucks of the "aftermarket" goodies.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I agree with Glenn,GM has built a diesel that can do the job stock.My dealer said they can tell if you change any thing On the DURAMAX,NO WARRANTY.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:13 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have owned several Duramax's. I don't believe in the Gadgets that are being sold to enhance the power. I don't think anyone needs any more power that the Duramax produces. It you need more power you are towing to much weight and need a larger Truck. Don't forget the Duramax is the most powerful engine of the big 3. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Once again Glenn has it pegged about right.

GM has been upping their HP and torque on the same diesel for a while now. They do it with small changes to the programming, and have to build components around the changes to handle them reliably.
Even though dieselplace is a great place to read up, there are also a few with high testosterone levels. It takes quite a bit of reading to sort out the real deal, but there is a lot of good info there.
I find that very common about forums. Many younger folk taking it to the limit. I suppose it makes a good read and keeps people interested.

MOC seems to be an exception, many here have been there/done that...

One thing I read over and over again are people 'limping' their trannys. This equipment is only designed to take so much and those Allisons are pretty spendy.
The last thing I would want to happen, is to have a breakdown and be stuck on the side of the road removing mods so I hopefully still have a warranty.
I have to admit it is very tempting though - those diesels have gobs of power that is very easy to tap.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 AM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Well I know a lot of you are against add-ons and if I had a new truck I might not have done it either. That beig said, my 2002 has 50hp less than the newer models and needed the help to get over the hills.
I added 4" cat back Banks exhaust and exhaust brake. The exhaust was well worth the $$$. I also added the Banks 6 gun, I did not stack the chips, to much strain on the transmission.
I did these changes when I got my Monty last summer, my truck had trouble carrying 45 mph over alot of the hills, now I need to let off the gas to keep it down to 60 on the same hills. To me the truck is not working nearly as hard as it use to, I think the mph went up a little but could not prove it.
Add yes, I would do it again, lots of $$$ but I think was worth it.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If I had an 2002 or older I would also consider such an add on BUT Bob (RMccord) has a 2005 which in all probability doesn't have 100,000 miles on yet. Therefore he still has the GM warranty. These Duramax and Allisons ain't cheap to replace so I'll be darned if I'd be taking a chance of voiding that warranty.

I also know an MOC member that just traveled with us from Ohio to California. He has a 2002 Stock Duramax and he had no problem staying with me going up the Rockies. He pulls an 04 3280RL.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
dilligas

M.O.C. #7534
I have an early 2006 D/A with the 6 speed and the LLY lower horsepower engine,. I also added the Banks dual exhaust and Banks intake. I don't think they make any difference until I pull on hills. Then the reduction in backpressure is helpfull in keeping the exhaust temp down. Chevrolet builds a great truck. So my changes may do no more than make me feel good, but none can be used as a reason not to warranty the motor. The rest of the truck is out of warranty anyway. I really like this website as I have learned more from here then anywhere else. I also really like the people here. Thanks for all the great help and info.
dilligas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:20 AM   #12
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
It is true I have had my truck since 4/05 and I now have 23556 on it. Not really broken in yet.
I have two questions. I have a boost and a pre turbo EGT gauge. I drive by the EGT gauge constantly when on grades. Pulling the 335RLBS which weighs atleast 2000 less that the 340RLQ that I am getting I can see the EGT's get to 1200 for short periods of time. Of course I adjust by either letting off a bit or down shifting. I would hope that a better exhaust would not affect my warranty and I will not do it until I am told by GM that it won't. I will not use a tuner controller or any other modification that would directly affect the various functions of the engine.
So my two questions are
1. If the reduced backpressure which then reduces EGT's lets say 100 degrees would that not be a positive effect.
2. How do you folks attach the really long grades with these larger units? Wolf Creek Pass, Conejo Grade or some of the other long high altitude climbs. And really what kind of speeds are you taking them at? Not wanna be speeds but real speeds.

As always thanks Bob
Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I am very happy with the mods I have placed on my 04 Dmax dually - Hypertech Programer(Stage II), Rancho shocks, 4" performance exhaust, AirBags etc. With each addition I have noticed greater performance and Ride. For me money well spent, even get a little better fuel mileage.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
As long as I keep my speeds under 45 mph when pulling a long grade, exhaust temps are not a problem. (for most grades) When pulling out of Salt Lake City last fall heading into Park City at 10,000' I had to drop the speed down to 40 mph in order to keep my EGT at or under 1,100 degrees.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I live in the Rocky Mountain area and have a 2002 GMC D/A. No-I can't fly over the passes like I can when not towing but I have no trouble keeping at 55 or better when towing. The truck probably down shifts more than some of the newer ones would but I learned a valuable lesson from modifying my previous truck (77 3/4 chev).

Built the engine to get 375hp and 475 ftlb. Then it was change the u-joints and go to a welded converter because of the torque. After that a high density radiator and etc, etc. Point is-it was a never ending battle to keep ahead of the changes that had to be made so I am hesitant to make chamges to my stock GMC. (That sucker could pull a house off the foundation though!)
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The GM dealer in Victorville, CA installs the Banks systems on new Duramax trucks. Having said that, I'm a Ford owner with the Banks Power pack installed -- love it. But why would you even consider any type of "souping up" the Duramax? Seems to me that it'll pull anything made to roll without anything extra!!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote