Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
question on Kingpin Level

I am overthinking my level master installed on my king pin. Just to be clear, this level curves up on the ends like a smile and has a silver "ball" inside the glass. My confusion is since the ball is not a "bubble" when the ball is towards one side is that side "LOW"? (gravity pulling the ball to the point where it is perpendicular to the ground, vice a bubble that floats up toward the high side)

I also have found the tick marks to NOT equate to 1 inch of blocks on a side. In fact adding the LYNX levelers make little impact on the ball. I am not sure if the ball is "sticking" somewhat as the level is mounted on a slight angle (with the slop of the top of the kingpin arm)

Should I just pretend the "ball" works just like a bubble and stop overthinking this?

Bill

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
beancounter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6893
I bought the same, or similar, level and have not yet installed mine. However, the ball works the opposite of a bubble in that it indicates the low side. If it is on the curb side, you need to raise the curb side.

You stated the marks do not indicate a need of 1" of blocking. Have you figured out how much you do need to block for each incremental mark?

beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I carry 1 1/2", 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" blocks, after much trial and mostly error I can now do a quick guesstimate on the thickness required to get level. I have the same level and never tried to figure out what 1" changes. In the spot we are in today we are using 1/2" for near perfect level. Don't over think the deal, the amount of exact level required is strictly up to you. I really like the thought that close is good enough.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Last weekend when I set up the Monty at its new home my level was one mark over. I but 1 plastic level under each passanger side door and the ball went right to the center. Maybe, as JimF said, after alittle trial and error you will get an idea of how much leveling each mark requires in you case.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Wish I had the one that was on the previous fiver. It worked great so I bought a new one for the Monty and have to admit that the ball on this one reacts slower than the old one. Don't know the difference, maybe there is more liquid or a different density liquid in this one.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The ball points to the low side, as said above. They do move slow, I think because they have oil in them instead of water (freeze).

On hard surface, one leveling block under both wheels equals one mark. In dirt, sometimes not, as 14,000lbs tends to push those in the dirt a little.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
everything above makes sense and fits with what my scientific mind says how things should work. AHHHhhh just figured it out. I was going to comment that when I am going around a curve, like a on ramp or off ramp most are inclined to the inside of the turn and I can tell the Monty is leaning in the turn BUT when I look at the level the ball is way over on the high side of the unit, once even up out of sight - just the opposite of what it should be if the ball is indicating the low side.......then I figured it out, centrifical force is pushing the ball towards the outside of the turn and over coming the force of gravity.....

Class dismissed!
Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
They do come in handy for a cross wind. I always look in the mirror to see how hard of a "lean" I'm getting on the trailer - can't always tell just by the truck.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As others said, the ball moves to the low side. Those marks don't work for me, either, but after awhile you learn how many blocks are needed based on where that ball ends up.

Those silver/blue ones with what appears to be a steel ball used to be my favorite nose level but I found in cool to cold weather they are sluggish. I thought we were level but after setup we were quite aways off level. So it might pay to tap the level in cooler weather or doublecheck with a level on the frame under the front compartment.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I used to work on compass calibration systems for aircraft. These are very sensitive to level. We had a guy in the office who could always get them in with a tap on the item being leveled. He was so good and his name with "Marty"; of course it became known as the "Marty tap." What it boils down to is the levels are subject to stiction force. The tap helps to loosen things up. Give those levels a light tap or two to help things settle and life will get level again.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote