Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
soft rollup vs retractable tonneau covers

I am planning to get a tonneau cover for my F350 longbed, which is due to be delivered any day now. WOW!! I'm trying to decide between a soft rollup cover, like the Access and Truxedo covers, and the retractable covers like the American Roll Cover and the Pace Edwards covers. I've searched prior threads on tonneau covers and found useful info on a number of topics. However, there are several questions that I still have, and I'd appreciate any info you great people could share with me about these alternative types of covers. Some of my questions include the following:

1. Toolbox compatability--I'd like to retain the option of putting in a toolbox in the truck bed somewhere down the road once I get a better handle on what we will be taking with us when we start full-timing. To what extent are any of these different covers compatable with adding a toolbox later on? [I note that the Truxedo Plus includes a toolbox, but that would require deciding now to commit to a toolbox rather than letting me decide that later on.]

2. Security--Do any of these covers provide realistic security if someone wants to get into the bed of the truck? I'm assuming a thief or vandal could easily cut thru the fabric of the soft rollup types. But are the retractables really able to keep out a determined thief?

3. Endurance--How well do these different covers hold up to weathering and to wear and tear? The Pace Edwards ads suggest the canisters used to house the competitors' retractables can be damaged by shifting cargo. Is this a real hazard? How well are any of these covers going to handle a falling tree branch or other such hazard? Does the velcro wear out or get plugged up with dirt/debris on the soft rollups that use it? How does the appearance of the different covers hold up over time?

4. Ease of use--How easy is it to snap down the soft rollups that use snaps? Do the soft covers shrink over time, making it harder and harder to snap them closed? Do the springs on the retractables stiffen up over time and get harder to pull open and/or do the grooves between the aluminum slats get plugged up with dirt over time and make it hard to get them to retract?

5. Water/weather resistance--how well do the different models of covers compare when it comes to keeping water out of the truck bed? How well do they handle things like melting snow?

To the extent you have experience or knowledge about different models of covers, I'd also appreciate any other comparisons you can provide between competing models as well as any other comments you can share about the relative pros and cons of the different covers.

Thank you all in advance for whatever help you can give me.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I had a pace edwards in my old truck and loved it. It was very pricey though. Very durable, locking options, and could but it built into a tool box (more $$$$ though). The soft covers are nice as well much, much cheaper...no security except things are out of sight.

Either one for traveling are fine as the soft cover you take off while traveling and the hard one you roll up ( that's if you have a 5th wheel.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
David - Send me a PM and I'll share my thoughts and what I've done re. soft tonneau and bed tool/storage boxes. I'm happy w/my setup.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I have a roll up tonneau cover on my Chevrolet, underneath it lives my hitch and a full width aluminum tool chest, that comes up to the top of the bed. Have had absolutely no problems with it. MY hitch is out of the sun and rain, the box is hidden from prying eyes and when I want ot use it I just roll it up and tie it with the velcro ties and take the bows and put them along the insdie of the bed. Works for me, and you may decide on something else. The whole thing is that whatever works best for you is what is best for youv
Good luck in your choice and the main thingn is to hae fun!!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I had an access on my old truck for 5yrs and am planning to get one for my new truck. Security? They keep prying eyes away. They do latch, and with a locking tailgate provide a modest amount of security from the casual thief. I liked the fact that my hitch handle fits under it with no mods required. I am planning on a low profile tool box fitted under it, or you can get a version that fits up against a higher tool box. Ours stood up well, don't know about tree branches, but we had a foot of snow on it one time. No problem with the Velcro. Ours did not seem to shrink, but the Velcro would be forgiving if it did, but I don't think it did shrink. It seemed pretty well water tight, snow was not a problem. Easy to roll out and snap down.
I have looked at the sliding types, and they are nice. They cost more of course, but they also take up room at the front of the box where you would want to put a tool box. Generally the sliding type are mounted inside the bed sides, and thus are more likely to interfere with the hitch handle. The Access sits above the bed sides and gives you more clearance underneath.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lets see..there is no real security with any cover no matter how expensive. You can get a toolbox that will fit under any of them..not a over the rail one of course. We have a fold-A-Cover on this truck and had a soft roll up Tonneau cover on our previous truck. The fold a cover dings easily, You can not see the hitch with it folded up in the tow position in most trucks (we have the F-350) but that is a easy work around. It is a pain in the butt to fold and unfold (my opinion)
It keeps things dry..it looks nice..it is very expensive. The Tonneau cover was also a pain in the butt to fold up(all those cross members) The colder it got the harder it was to snap up. It kept things dry..it does not ding and was easy to maintain. If I was to do it over I would get the least expensive soft tonneau cover I could find and replace it every 3 or 4 years when it started to look ratty. If I did not have so much money in the Fold a cover I would pitch it and get a soft cover....Just my opinion. The slider covers are very neat things..they look nice, are very expensive, take up too much room and IMO are also a pain in the butt to deal with. Oh there is a solution.. forget the 5th wheel, buy a TT and put a cap on your truck..They look nice..keep everything dry, can put in a large tool box..plenty of storage in the bed of the truck and they provide fair security.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I had very similar requirements for a cover, and ended up getting the Advance folding cover (hard cover, fold in 4). I love the fact I can put almost any type toolbox (I currently use an inexpensive plastic-type one) in the truck as long as it isn't higher than the rails. I now have as much security as a regular canopy has, and I have found it to be extremely easy to fold and unfold. All my stuff stays pretty dry under the cover. I wouldn't be without it!!! I've had mine about 2 1/2 years now (first on my '99 F-250, and now on my F-350).

A "falling branch" would dent it, but I can't think of any viable other cover (folding or roll-up) that wouldn't be damaged by that .....
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have the Access Cover on our current truck and on the previous two trucks. It does provide some security as it hides what is inside. We liked the fact that the support bars are integral to the tonneau and roll up with it. Also, it uses velcro on the top rails instead of snaps. It rolls up easily from either side and is out of the way if you need to carry a large load. Since we've had one on our last three trucks, I guess you could say we like 'em.

P.S. Easy to move from truck to truck as they mount with 4 clamps.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have a truxedo on the current F350 and had one on my previous trucks as well. I have had an Access cover as well on previous trucks. I think they are pretty close in how they are manufactured. If I had to do it again I wouldn't be afraid of either one. I got a truxedo one this time only because the color matched my TV better.
1.) I don't need a tool box as we are not full timers. But I do believe any one that mounts under the rails would work with this type of cover.
2.) I believe these cover will keep an honest person honest. But as you mentioned a thief is going to figure how to get what is inside if they want to.
3.) I have had no problems with the Velcro getting dust and dirt on it and I haven't had any experiences with any tree branches big enough to hurt the cover. I think it would rip the cover if a 2" branch fell directly on the cover with a pointed end. but a large branch falling leaves first wouldn't hurt. Jut my opinion as I have no proof.
4.) The soft roll-up covers that I have had all had adjustments you could make to the tension of the cover from front to back. The Truxedo has adjustment screws on both sides of the cover near the front that you can adjust to keep it fairly tight. I believe the Access even tells you in the instructions it should take 30# of pressure to close the cover. I know in the colder months the cover is a little tighter but the Velcro allows for that. I personally wouldn't get a cover that had snaps for that very reason.
5.) Mine is about 99% waterproof. I get a little bit around the tailgate. But even this could be fixed with some foam weatherstripping. I believe there is a kit you can buy from access and truxedo that addresses the tailgate seal for 20-30 dollars. I have had a lot of snow on mine and it didn't bother it at all. When it melts it runs off like rain. If not it can be brushed off with a snow brush or just fly off while going down the road.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:11 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I have a Pace cover and love it. With a GM you have to purchase a tailgate lock to provide locking for the tailgate. I can suggest a hitch haul tray and a Delta box attached to it to provide you with a removable tool box. Mine just fits in the 2" receiver on the truck. I use it while I am hauling and it doesn't interfer with the coach. I have a pic on my album of the setup or I can sent you a PM with pic.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
I have the Jack Rabbit from Pace. I bought it at O'Rielly and installed it myself to save a few bucks. It is not water tight as water can get in at the tailgate, but does a fair job. As for security, it would not stop someone, just slow them down, but it is rare that I even lock mine. We have had it for over 30 months without any problem. The vinyl top is hard to keep looking nice, but the soft tops have the same trouble. It will carry a pretty heavy snow load, but I did push if off rather than let it go thru freeze and thaw cycles. I found that it increased my mileage by one to two miles per gallon with it closed on interstate travel. I keep it partially closed when pulling the 5th wheel, but don't know that it saves me anything. It does add weight. I don't carry much in the way of tools for that reason.
My father-in-law has the soft top and he probably won't buy another. In cold weather it is almost impossible to get on.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
Hello David,
I've had a Hard Fold A Cover -( http://www.fold-a-cover.com/index.html )- on my last two TVs.
It's close to water tight. Locks shut and holds the tail gate shut untill you unlock the topper. Some times when I go through a car wash it will get damp in the corners of the box. You can get them around $550.00 installed here in Michigan.
fc5v is offline   Reply With Quote