Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
MorRyde Shear Spring Replacement

Since it finally started warming up, I decide to swap out my worn shear springs that MorRyde sent me free of charge late last Fall. I hooked the fiver up to my truck (makes things easier and safer) and jacked up one side of the frame at a time using two bottle jacks one in front of the axles and one behind. I then stuck a couple of floor jacks under each axle with just a bit of pressure to hold the assembly in place. I removed the tires, then removed nuts from the inner spring shackles and the bolts and nuts from the shear springs themselves. I was thinking this was going way too easy as once unbolted, the shear spring pried right out the bottom and lay on the ground ... shortly I ran into quite a surprise. The super dooper wet bolt and bronze bushing setup we now have on many of our fivers was in a pitiful shape. My average traveling weight is only @10600# on the axles and being maintenance minded, I grease the wet bolts Spring, mid Summer, and late Fall ... The bolts themselves were OK, yet all 8 of the spring eye bronze bushings were way worn. You can see the issue in the accompanying photos with the bolt just stuck thru the bushings . I ended up buying a set of new bushings and replacing all 8 in the spring eyes. The 4 bushings in the shear spring hardware for whatever reason checked OK. The last shocker was when I was examining one of my old shear springs. I was traveling on way borrowed time as I could almost pull the rubber in two off the shear spring as seen in the last photo. You get into a sense of complacency with all they hype about the wonders of the rubber shear springs and their ride quality as well as the supposed longevity of the wet bolt setup ... until you pull it all apart someday. http://s113.photobucket.com/user/imp...0Spring%202014
The photo captions fade unless you move your mouse a bit while looking at the slide show. It won't hurt to crawl under your unit every so often and check out the rubber shear springs. There's an easy inspection write up on the MorRyde website. My fiver was beginning to squat a bit more so on one side.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Thanks for the heads up!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's more than a little scary.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Good info, thanks for sharing.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Replaced mine last fall. All bushings looked good. Must be the Kansas grit. Thanks for the photos.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Interesting. How many years old was the wet bolt kit? I just put ours on last year, so they should be OK for a while (hopefully!).
Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Walt ... I bought the fiver new in May of 2010. It came with the LRE 4000 suspension, heavy duty shackles, and wet bolts. It'll never be known if someone hogged the bushings out at the factory or if they wore that quickly. I doubt if I have 12,000 miles on the fiver as I just pull back and forth to the lakes. The old shear springs were a 16 durometer ... the new ones are 19 durometer per the MorRyde rep. I bit more dense rubber I think.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I think the bronze bushings did a great job, the spring hangers and shackles look goon as do the bolts. The problem we had with the old nylon bushings is the failed immediately after purchase, followed by the bolts and the shackles and hangers being worn through. If I have to knock out a few bushings every few years I can do that. Although I still have a spare spring hanger hidden in my basement somewhere..

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #9
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Good job and photo's, will keep an eye out when doing maintenance.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I enjoyed seeing the way the bushings were worn out and given that the shear spring had already failed...one can understand how much more up and down unnatural travel the springs had to be making. Guess I better go look more closely at the spring end bushings since I had a shear failure last year. Thanks for the great photos. John
Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
Twinlens7
Established Member

M.O.C. #21918
Where can I find parts not able to find parts mine are broken on both sides
Twinlens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #12
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinlens7 View Post
Where can I find parts not able to find parts mine are broken on both sides
Amazon is where I got mine part # PT 108-020 you have to check the last 3 numbers on your spring its modded in the rubber part. if your unit is less than three years old call MorRyde should be still under warranty. I just had one break on the way home from Texas it was covered by warranty and installation.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #13
HappyTravels1
Established Member

M.O.C. #29443
How did you access the top 2 bolt on the shear spring asst?
HappyTravels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Happy ... you might start looking at the dates on threads and starting your own new one as you've resurrected a thread last commented on in June of 2018. There are 8 bolts actually holding the shear springs in the steel mount welded to the frame rail. A box end wrench one side to hold the bolt head ... a ratchet and socket one the back side to remove the nuts. A ratcheting end wrench will also work ... or just two plain ole end wrenches. If you're talking about the shackle bolts ... the heads of the bolts are pressed into the shackle links, so you remove the nuts on both ends of the link and tap the whole link out being sure you have a jack under the axle to help hold it in place. Do not try to spin the head of the shackle bolts in the link as like said, they are serrated and pressed in.

PS If you look at the 3rd photo in the photo bucket link (first post in this thread), you'll see how my bolts and bracket is configured ... maybe you have a different setup?