Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
More cleaning!

Did the coach floors this times. OK, it's an ongoing battle keeping the floors swept and somewhat clean. Doggie paws everywhere, dirt, grass, crud, bare feet, dog slobbers, food particles, bugs, flies, everything getting crunched and rubbed into the flooring. We have only a couple small areas of actual carpet. I've removed all but a couple tiny spots in the bedroom slide. So, everything is now tile floor. I simply cannot imagine all this stuff getting ground into carpeting. Oh my!

Anyway, we're breaking camp again tomorrow and heading to our next destination point so decided to do a little more deep cleaning. Our floors get swept almost daily, they acquire so much crud. My wife has attempted several different steam mops, sponge mops, even a swiffer. On the surface it looked like all of that was doing a good job over the years.

Well, today, we decided to clean these floors the old fashioned way .... with a hand held scrub brush and a rag, a bucket with nothing but bleach water, and good old fashioned elbow grease. And the results .....???? Oh my? We dumped the water a dozen times because it came out so black and dirty. It was awful! But the floors look really nice again!

It's hard to fathom how much dirt sticks on our floors, in spite of our best efforts to keep them clean. I suppose a week from now we'll never know it was ever cleaned again! I'm so glad we got rid of the carpet! I can't imagine how horrible one of our previous campers was after 8 years of wall to wall carpet in spite of our constant vacuuming and carpet shampooing.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
DutchmenSport........remove your shoes (visitors also) and wipe clean your dog's paws before entering then you have very liitle need to clean the floors. Install a central and handheld lithium battery-operated portable vacuum cleaners for the ocassional vacuuming. That is what we do.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I find it is easiest to wait for the dog hair to roll together into grapefruit size dust balls to pick up…hourly!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
I also find that if I postpone cleaning long enough my wife hires a house cleaner.........same at the house.