Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
Water system schematic diagram

My next major issue is my Suburban 10 gal water heater. Not only does it need anode rod and element change, but the more serious issue is yet again water leakage into and down the walls onto the kitchen floor from the outside, including RAIN WATER! Yikes! (so yeah this is normal water heater service PLUS liquid resin floor repair when I get there.

For now I would just like to know if anyone can point me to a simple diagram of the water system of my 2006 370RL? There are no markings on anything to do with water on this rig. There is no central control panel, no nothing; but random PEX tubing and ONE valve near the water pump that I have no idea how it is supposed to be used.

When I 1st got the RV I filled the fresh water tank and tried the pump. Pump runs but no water to faucets. I was scared to turn the valve near the pump because it is attached to a T fitting that has an open port! Yeah, a PEX line from somewhere, and a PEX line to the water pump, but the 3rd port of the T is just open! No line and no cap plug!

So I bought a 10ft length of PEX @ Lowes with a fitting on 1 end and attached it to this open port and let the other end run outside of the basement. Now I was confident that I would not flood the RV, and turned on the pump and moved the valve to both open and closed positions and still no water. No idea what this valve is supposed to do, and absolutely sure I do not know how to winterize or do the bleach sanitation of the system where you are supposed to bypass the water heater (which later is supposed to be sanitized with vinegar). There is ZERO information on where any valves are and when a valve is seen its not marked! So for the time being I have all water drained from the rig until the water heater exterior seal is fixed along with anode rod and new element. Showers, dishes, toilet are all done across the driveway in the main house. This is not fun when its pouring rain!

Please please please tell me there is a diagram that might explain this unlabeled PEX spaghetti!

EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
As far as I know there is no schematic of any plumbing or electrical drawings on any Montana camper. Sorry. Someone might know different I hope so but don’t count on it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is probably a modified plumbing addition by a previous owner, so all bets are off for the reason for that extra PEX line and valve.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Probably no schematics at all. Typical.
I would suggest a label maker and keep it close! Take the time to trace the lines, and when you are fortunate enough to find what a valve or switch or junction "T" does, or the direction of flow, or whatever characteristic it shows, put a label on it so you know the next time!
RV water lines (and electrical) are a perfect example of smiling and swearing.... you smile when they all work, and you swear when they don't. Good Luck!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Do you have a convenience center?
If you do here is a diagram one of our members drew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Convenience center.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	11264   Click image for larger version

Name:	convenience center plumbing diagram.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	11265  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #6
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Thats good info Daryles. Thanks
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:39 PM   #7
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
As I said, its all a random spaghetti - BUT... what your convenience center does is take all the normal water lines, valves and dumps and makes it understandable. I will use that diagram to study what my system probably duplicates in chaos what the convenience center brings to order.

Appreciate the info.
EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:25 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The 2006 did not have control center. The hose is for Winterizing. If your system isn’t pumping water, but the pump is running, chances are it was left in winterize bypass position.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The extra T-valve at the water pump is used for winterizing, or used for sanitizing your water system. I read your post and realized, based on the age of your camper, it probably does not have a convenience center with all the valves in one location.

Your water heater by-pass valves will be located at the water heater. You may have 1, 2, or 3 valves. If you have only 1 valve, then there is a check valve in the water heater "out" lline to prevent by passed water from filling the water heater backwards. If you have 2 valves, it's the same principle. One valve actually by-passes or turns off the water going into the water heater, the second one is to prevent filling the water heater backwards. If you have 3 valves, same as #2, except the third valve is between the in and out to prevent cold water transfer between the in and out side of the water heater. The basic diagram of the water line coming into the water heater is an "H".

Single Valve:

2 valve system:

3 valve system:

I don't have a photo of the actual valve on the pump itself for winterizing, but here's a photo from one of my previous trailers where I had to manually attach a hose to use for winterizing. All that valve does on your is flip between pulling water from the fresh water tank, or a gallon jug of antifreeze:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote