Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
Outside propane hookup

Does anyone else have a problem with the outside propane connection not providing enough pressure/volume to run a grill? I cannot run my Weber Q2200 off of the outside connection due to lack of pressure. Am I alone on this issue?

Old 04-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am fairly sure your HC's propane tap is after the coach's regulator. This means the pressure has been stepped down already. But your Weber regulator expects a full pressure supply. You need to remove the Weber regulator. Someone here posted a link to a replacement non-regulator connector. Maybe a Search can find it? Or maybe someone else will remember what it is.

On Edit: Here is a link to a place where you can but replacement regulators for Weber and Coleman BBQs. These allow to you to connect to already regulated propane supply connectors.
https://torjik.com/grill-rv-quick-connect/

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinMooses View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with the outside propane connection not providing enough pressure/volume to run a grill? I cannot run my Weber Q2200 off of the outside connection due to lack of pressure. Am I alone on this issue?
That should be a non issue assuming you are using a "Y" directly off the tank with a dedicated regulator for the BBQ.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Nope, absolutely not. About the only thing you'll be able to run off that outside hook-up is another RV gas stove. Your Weber has a regulator (probably) and the RV hook-up also is regulated. Nothing will ever work. I know, I've tried everything with my Coleman Stove.

There is only one model of Coleman stove that will work with your RV system. If you want to use your RV propane tanks, you'll need to hook up another connection BEFORE the regulator. Sorry, there's no other way.

I have no clue why they even bother putting that quick connect gas connection on our campers at all.

Because we had a new Coleman outside stove when we purchased our last camper, I ended up just purchasing a separate 30 pound propane tank and keep it filled. I run the stove from it now, and the 30 pound tank comes in handy if I misjudge and run out of propane on both tanks on my camper. (which has never happened).

Sorry to be the one to give you the sad news, but if anyone else has a solution, I'm all ears too.

FYI, on my Coleman, I even purchased a second connector with the regulator. I cut the regulator off and attached a rubber hose with a small radiator clamp and the other end with the quick disconnect. It still did not work. The pressure was still too low for the Coleman.

Not sure about your Weber though. But, good luck, maybe someone else will chime in.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
You have to eliminate the regulator on your grill.

https://propanegear.com/weber-q-comp...2-m-f-qc-hose/
Old 04-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Nope, absolutely not. About the only thing you'll be able to run off that outside hook-up is another RV gas stove. Your Weber has a regulator (probably) and the RV hook-up also is regulated. Nothing will ever work. I know, I've tried everything with my Coleman Stove.

There is only one model of Coleman stove that will work with your RV system. If you want to use your RV propane tanks, you'll need to hook up another connection BEFORE the regulator. Sorry, there's no other way.

I have no clue why they even bother putting that quick connect gas connection on our campers at all.

Because we had a new Coleman outside stove when we purchased our last camper, I ended up just purchasing a separate 30 pound propane tank and keep it filled. I run the stove from it now, and the 30 pound tank comes in handy if I misjudge and run out of propane on both tanks on my camper. (which has never happened).

Sorry to be the one to give you the sad news, but if anyone else has a solution, I'm all ears too.

FYI, on my Coleman, I even purchased a second connector with the regulator. I cut the regulator off and attached a rubber hose with a small radiator clamp and the other end with the quick disconnect. It still did not work. The pressure was still too low for the Coleman.

Not sure about your Weber though. But, good luck, maybe someone else will chime in.
I eliminated the regulator on my coleman roadtrip and it works fine off of my quick connect gas fitting.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I eliminated the regulator on my coleman roadtrip and it works fine off of my quick connect gas fitting.
I used this

https://propanegear.com/coleman-road...kit-8-ft-hose/

I think propanegear has kits for pretty much any portable grill out there.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
[QUOTE=DutchmenSport;1180721
[/QUOTE]

Ah but this setup does work *IF* you remove the check valve and spring in the adapter. I use a mod like this with an adjustable regulator as I like more burner BTUs than the standard Coleman regulator.

For those who have Weber or Coleman BBQs and want to connect to an already regulated propane supply, here is where you can buy replacement regulators that will work.
https://torjik.com/grill-rv-quick-connect/

Old 04-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
FYI, that Coleman Roadtrip quick disconnect works on only specific Coleman grills. And only those grills listed in the link will work with this system. Every other Coleman will not work.

I cut the entire regulator off the Coleman connection and addatched the stem that screws into the Coleman Stove and it still did not work. The pressure is different on everything except the Roadtrip models.

This is the part that attaches to the stove, and the 1 pound bottles screw in the other end. I cut the regulator off completely and the pressure coming from the trailer was incomparable. It made a flame, but it wasn't high enough and blew out at the slightest puff of wind.

Click Here

This style of Camp Stove
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am sure I wasn't clear with my earlier response.

You are correct the pre-made non-regulator connectors are only for the more common Coleman's. Apparently yours is not one that they support. I really don't understand why as the replacement connector you pointed to at Walmart is compatible with all Coleman devices. Maybe it is compatible "unless it isn't"?

In my case I took a standard adapter/regulator that worked on my Coleman Roadtrip and adapted it to run off an already regulated propane supply (i.e. a RV mounted quick disconnect as what is on the HCs). I did this similar to what you did by cutting off the regulator and connecting a rubber hose with a hose clamp.

But then a friend saw my setup at a rally and suggested an improvement. Use an adjustable regulator instead of the stock Coleman one. This allows you crank up the heat more than the normal (ala Tim "The Toolman" Taylor - More Power!).

This is a pic of the standard Coleman setup. I still use this on occasion.
20200419_134256.jpg

This is my modified connection with out the Coleman regulator and with the adjustable one.
20200419_134327.jpg

The check valve (actually a small brass/rubber doodad and spring) is located in the connector that attaches directly to the Coleman. Carefully unscrew the two pieces so you can save the valve/spring in case you want to go back. Here is a pic of the connector with a pointer to the junction of the two pieces holding the valve/spring.
20200419_134819.jpg

Lastly this is my setup using the adjustable regulator. Rather than cutting the hose I adapted the connector to the existing hose using a
3/8 flare×1/8mnpt, Here is a pic of that.
20200419_135412.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_134256.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	6054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_134327.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	6055   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_134819.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	6056   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_135412.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	6057  

Old 04-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
akoske
Established Member

M.O.C. #23553
On my Coleman NXT Grill I removed the regulator cut new threads with pipe die and installed elbow and male quick disconnect. works get 2 different campers now.
akoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #12
BobnLee
Established Member

M.O.C. #27342
I can't find any propane quick connect for a BBQ on my 2014 high country
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i am confused as to where you do or do not have a regulater using a coleman roadtrip stove. can anyone set me staaight on this
thx
al meyer
3931 fb
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #14
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
We use the outside "cooker hooker" all the time with our Blackstone. Love it, so convenient.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
i am confused as to where you do or do not have a regulater using a coleman roadtrip stove. can anyone set me staaight on this
thx
al meyer
3931 fb
The Coleman stoves have a proprietary regulator. It needs to be connected to a high pressure tank. Trying to use the propane system on the Montana after the onboard regulator will not work with the standard hose setup.

You can modify the Coleman regulator assembly to eliminate the regulator portion be keeping the unique attachment piece. That way you can use the low pressure system off the Montana or an alternative, adjustable, regulator where you can really turn up the heat.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:05 AM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I did the same on my Coleman Road Trip (the red one) as what Carl did. It worked very well on our SOB travel trailer. Our Montana doesn't have the quick connect, so I gave the road trip to our daughter and got a 22" Blackstone. I carry an extra 20# tank now for the Blackstone.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote