Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #21
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I have not done it yet. Been too cold. I’m also still asking questions about the product while I wait for warmer weather. Like, if I get a tear or puncture in the future, will eternabond still work. Some say eternabond will not adhere to this coating.

prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #22
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandcolleen View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it is safe to paint a waterproof membrane on the roof fabric of a 2003 Montana 5th wheel. Our coating is worn off of the fabric to the point of being almost bare. What products can be used to safely re-coat the fabric? I guess we need to get this done before I sustain damage to the fabric itself.
TomandColleen
I used a product called Kool Coat. I think that is the name of it. Anyway it worked well. it is a 2 coat process.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #23
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I have been doing a ton of research on roof coatings. I found this on Dicor website today. They make the EPDM roof.

What does “EPDM” stand for?
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer

Will my Brite-Ply EPDM roof oxidize?
Yes. It’s suppose to. In a dozen years it may oxidize 10% of it’s thickness. This is normal. Cleaning it at least 4 times a year using a medium bristle brush will greatly help. Dicor Roof Gard will help fill in the pores of the membrane and help keep it cleaner.

Do I need special materials to maintain my roof?
No. We do recommend you use Dicor products for maintenance simply due to the fact that all of our products have been thoroughly tested and approved. We know the products are safe and effective for maximum care and maintenance of your roof.

What do I need to care for my roof?
Periodic cleaning (see Dicor care & maintenance instructions). We recommend you stay away from anything that smells “fruity” or “flowery”. These smells will attract birds, bees, squirrels, raccoons & other “critters”.

How long can I expect my roof to last?
If properly maintained, the roof should last a minimum of 20 years. The membrane itself has been weather tested for 20 years.

What is the warranty of my roof?
Dicor offers a 12 year warranty for the sheeting only. The warranty covers only premature deterioration to the point of failure due to weathering only. It does not cover the original installation or the (glue, lap Sealant, Butyl tape) to install the roof. It is a pro-rated warranty. The first 5 years would include parts and labor. Years 6-12 are pro-rated for material replacement only, no labor. This warranty is offered only to the original purchaser.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #24
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
I bet it’s pretty expensive to replace the roof
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #25
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
New membrane kit

I have wondered how much it cost to replace a roof on an RV - IF a person was of a mind to attempt such a feat so that the labor cost is free! I came across this kit on Amazon...so the answer is right here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	397A3B70-11A4-4B45-81DD-09CD12C11CEE.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	5985  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I have wondered how much it cost to replace a roof on an RV - IF a person was of a mind to attempt such a feat so that the labor cost is free! I came across this kit on Amazon...so the answer is right here!
Having replaced the EPDM on our previous Dutchman the job isn’t bad. The cheapest place I found EPDM was Bontagers in MI. 30 feet was about 300$ plus $100 for a dicor glue kit. It took a fair bit of time to complete but it allowed me to replace all the fans, outer skylight and the ac gaskets not included in the cost above. I am debating doing the exact same on my current Montana in the next couple weeks.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #27
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedmichigan View Post
Having replaced the EPDM on our previous Dutchman the job isn’t bad. The cheapest place I found EPDM was Bontagers in MI. 30 feet was about 300$ plus $100 for a dicor glue kit. It took a fair bit of time to complete but it allowed me to replace all the fans, outer skylight and the ac gaskets not included in the cost above. I am debating doing the exact same on my current Montana in the next couple weeks.
Just curious why you are considering replacing the roof?
Old 04-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #28
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Just curious why you are considering replacing the roof?
My Montana is a 2011 3750FL. The roof is in ok shape. There are a few issues I want to address though. 1. The bathroom skylight needs to be replaced. 2. The winegard antenna Is the bane of my existence. I hate the crank up, and I the numerous boots it uses to keep water out. 3 towards the driver side of the antenna I snagged a limb and repaired it with eternabond but there seems to be a small soft spot.

I am either going to replace the Epdm or I am going to do a hybrid install with crazy seal from RV Armor.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #29
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
It would be nice if they used aluminum or Fiberglas in stead of the rubber roofs
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #30
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
I’d pass on an aluminum roof. Fiberglass isn’t horrible but will still have the same puncture issues and will oxidize in the sun. Epdm is a great roof membrane. RV installs at the factory leave something to be wanted though.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #31
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Preston and Terry
I know this is an older thread. I’m having an issue with my Dicor rubber roof where the color (top white coat) is losing its chemical bond to the black rubber membrane. I’m looking at having rvroof.com provide their coating on the roof. How has your roof held up?

Thanks
Steve
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:33 AM   #32
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Preston and Terry
I know this is an older thread. I’m having an issue with my Dicor rubber roof where the color (top white coat) is losing its chemical bond to the black rubber membrane. I’m looking at having rvroof.com provide their coating on the roof. How has your roof held up?

Thanks
Steve

I used CrazySeal which is the DIY side of the RVArmor company. 3 years and it still looks like new. No issues and took about 6-8 hours total over a 2 day period it till on the roof. Cost was about 1200 total if I remember correctly.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:45 AM   #33
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Thanks. My concern is the outer membrane is deteriorating (losing its chemical bond to the black rubber roof). I’m concerned that anything that is rolled on may not last because of that deterioration. Dicor will replace the roof, but I need to pay for its installation. I have an appointment at Affinity after the rally in September to install, but I’m continuing to research my options. Rv roof says they’ll strip off the rubber roof and apply their product directly to the wood roof.

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #34
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Thanks. My concern is the outer membrane is deteriorating (losing its chemical bond to the black rubber roof). I’m concerned that anything that is rolled on may not last because of that deterioration. Dicor will replace the roof, but I need to pay for its installation. I have an appointment at Affinity after the rally in September to install, but I’m continuing to research my options. Rv roof says they’ll strip off the rubber roof and apply their product directly to the wood roof.

Thanks
Steve
If the white layer is coming off and the black layer is fine then the Epdm is fine and a product like crazy seal or rv armor or even the dicor roof renewal stuff is fine. The Epdm only would need to come off if it is no longer bonded to the decking.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:58 AM   #35
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
Just wondering... Since the Crazy Seal is a silicone product, would putting it on the EPDM roof prevent the future use of Eternabond on the roof, if needed?
JamesDean334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #36
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Preston and Terry

Thanks
Steve
So is the white just sort of washing away or is there actually a layer of material that is detaching. The washing away is normal, just messy. However a 11 year old roof is probably nearing the end of life. I just had my 2013 sprayed over 1 1/2 years ago. (Of course it sits outside all year and 9 mo/yr is in Arizona!)

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:04 PM   #37
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
It actually rubs off if something (hose) is pulled along the roof while washing. It’s fairly tacky when its walk on it and actually will leave footprints in the white coating when I walk on it. I sent Dicor and email and followed up with pictures. They said the color coating is losing its chemical bond to the black rubber membrane.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:07 PM   #38
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Tom,
What did you have sprayed on? I’m just looking at different options?
Old 05-12-2023, 10:15 PM   #39
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
We have traded the unit with the FlexArmor roof but I am confident that it is performing as expected. If we ever have a significant issue with the oem roof on this unit I would not hesitate to take this same path again.
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:28 PM   #40
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
It was FlexArmor in Prescott. They have about 10 locations around the country. I think 1 or 2 in Texas, 1 here, and the rest in the deep south. They cover the whole roof down about 2 inches over the side, so all seal points, etc are covered. Only drawback is if you want to replace a dome or something they sealed, you have to get them to replace it or void the warranty (which is long).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote