Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
First problems with our 3400

We just returned from our first extended vacation (2 weeks) in the 3400 we purchased in July, 2005. Throughout the first year of occasional, close-to-home weekend get-aways, we had absolutely no problems of any consequence. This time, a few problems developed, all but one of which were minor and fall into the annoyance category: (1) a small water leak in the shower, the location of which I was able to identify but not correct. Solution was to put a small plastic container under the drip and forget about it (2) the common problem of cabinet doors falling off. I have been surprised it took this long and will be taking care of the situation in accordance with the solutions suggested on the Forum. Otherwise, all systems worked great and without problem despite enduring major rain and thunderstorms for about half of our stay and the presence of two incredibly energetic grandchildren who seem to believe the Monty is a giant playhouse and amusement park!

The major problem developed on our drive home last Sunday. As we exited I-79 and entered I-90 at Erie, PA, I noticed my Prodigy brake controller sporadically flashing SH (short) and then NC (no connection) before returning to the normal C (connected). When I tried to apply the brakes at highway speed, there were no brakes on the Monty. Braking returned at low speeds when approaching toll booths, etc. Very appreciative of the good brakes on my Dodge 3500 and grateful for the low speed braking on the Monty! We stopped to check connections at the first opportunity but found nothing loose or disconnected (I did manage to ruin a shirt and get covered with dirt and grease crawling around!). Fortunately, traffic was not heavy so we were able to create a significant clear zone ahead of us by driving at 50 mph and were able to nurse the Monty to the dealer in Hamilton, ON. As luck would have it, one of the senior service people was there when we arrived and we were able to pull the Monty into the secure fenced lot. The next question is whether the problem is with the Monty or the hook-up in the truck. Expect to find out in the next week or so.

On the "upside", I definitely feel like an experienced RVer now. I no longer feel guilty about having no problems to report!

Bill

Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
glad to see you could join us lol sorry to hear about the brake problem that one needs fixing as for those cabnets well welcome to my world if you have any questions about fixing them just pm me and i'll give you my phone number and I can walk you through the fix I came up with good luck
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill,
Just think, once you get these problems fixed, you are going to have a perfect rv again. =) I hope you are able to get the problems fixed and be back on the road soon.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Bill Frisbee: You obviously purchased your 3400 at the same Dealer as we did. We have been so comfortable with the work they have done on our 3400. We have had no major problems, just the usual small things, (leak in shower!!)etc. Our 3400 is with them at the moment, we will be picking it up in September, (our choice), we leave them to do all our maintenance work and have never had complaints about the work we have requested. Hope your problem is a straightforward one. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:59 AM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Hi, Diana ...

So far we have been pleased with the service and maintenance work at Outdoor Travel. They are checking out the brake system at this time but said that the problem I described is not likely to be a problem with the camper. The brake system on the Monty is very simple and, in their experience, works well with few problems. Intermittent problems like I have are usually a problem with the controller. After chatting with the service techs at Prodigy, it would appear that the problem is indeed with the TV, not the Monty. I described what was happening to the tech and her immediate response was "there is a short in the blue wire". That meant nothing to me but it did to the service people at Outdoor Travel. So we will take the TV in next week to have them repair that problem. They are also working away at all the little issues (repairing the shower leak, replacing a couple of rusted screws, fixing a hinge, etc) even though I will not be using the Monty again until Labour Day. Based on my experience over the past 12 months, Outdoor Travel is very committed to taking care of their customers.

Bill
Old 07-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
From what I have seen these controllers very seldom go bad it is usually the trailer. i know your dealer said it was not but ask if they pulled the wheels and looked at the magnet wires to be sure you don't have a short from wear. Most of the time it's the right rear wheel that does this time after time.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, there have been numerous reports on the forum about just the problem you are having. Only one time was the problem reported to NOT be with the Montana. Usually it's wiring inside the hub, at or near the magnet. A few have been broken connections under the Montana, along or near the axle and hubs. The right rear wheel seems to be the culprit most often although other wheels have had the problem, too. Many RV dealers like to blame the controller but our experience here is it is usually the Montana. For that reason this morning I told our dealer our PDI will include jacking each wheel with unbilical attached to my truck to make sure that brake will lock up as it is supposed to.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Steve (Carnac) Reigle: You are right on the money. Turns out there was a problem of worn insulation on a wire on the right rear brake that was causing at least part of the problem. Dealer fixed that. Also discovered that at least one of the readings I was getting on the Prodigy was consistent with a problem that has necessitated a recall of Prodigy units (a certain set of serial numbers is apparently accessible through their web site). The "brake guy" at my dealer said that despite the short in the wheel itself, something did not "sound or feel" right to him. He was convinced something else was going on. So he called Prodigy, explained what was happening, and what he felt. They agreed to replace the old Prodigy with a brand new one under warranty. So everything got repaired under warranty and my total bill was $10.00 for a small item I purchased in the Parts Department. The Monty is now home, safe and sound ... and the brakes work beautifully.

Bill

BEAUTY: 2005 Montana 3400RL
THE BEAST:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Pkg, 4X4, SRW, Cummins Turbo Diesel, Short Box, PullRite 16K Super Glide.
Guelph, Ontario