Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2024, 05:34 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Such a little change - such a BIG difference!

We are sitting in Louisiana right now. The day time temps are now in the middle 90's. Sun is shining, and we are not parked under trees. Bottom line ... the camper is having difficulty keeping cool, both AC's running full throttle.

This camper AC's do great in 80 degree and we don't experience middle or high 90's very often, until now.

So, after several days of being uncomfortable, we found it odd that the bathroom is horribly COLD!

Our camper is a front living room, rear bedroom, bathroom and kitchen in the middle.

Rear AC is 13,500 BTU and front is 15,000 BTU AC / heat pump. Upper floor (living room) always seems warm. Bathroom freezing. We leave the bathroom door open but it does not help distribute the cold.

Both AC are on a single duct system, both running together opposite ends of the camper. So, on a whim I decided to simply block off the bathroom ceiling vent. It's the little round louvered vent that can rotate. I pulled the louvered cover off and simply place a sheet of aluminum foil over the vent cover and snapped it back in place, blocking the AC from pumping into the bathroom.

1 hour later .... bathroom is NOT freezing cold, but actually, quite comfortable. Front living room is actually getting cold now! Amazing, and really, no difference if the rear bed room.

The entire trailer is sooooo much cooler now! It's still in the middle 90's and the inside has dropped down at least 10 degrees (upper living room area) from where it was before I closed off that vent.

Amazing what one vent can, or cannot do.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:08 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
We are sitting in Louisiana right now. The day time temps are now in the middle 90's. Sun is shining, and we are not parked under trees. Bottom line ... the camper is having difficulty keeping cool, both AC's running full throttle.

This camper AC's do great in 80 degree and we don't experience middle or high 90's very often, until now.

So, after several days of being uncomfortable, we found it odd that the bathroom is horribly COLD!

Our camper is a front living room, rear bedroom, bathroom and kitchen in the middle.

Rear AC is 13,500 BTU and front is 15,000 BTU AC / heat pump. Upper floor (living room) always seems warm. Bathroom freezing. We leave the bathroom door open but it does not help distribute the cold.

Both AC are on a single duct system, both running together opposite ends of the camper. So, on a whim I decided to simply block off the bathroom ceiling vent. It's the little round louvered vent that can rotate. I pulled the louvered cover off and simply place a sheet of aluminum foil over the vent cover and snapped it back in place, blocking the AC from pumping into the bathroom.

1 hour later .... bathroom is NOT freezing cold, but actually, quite comfortable. Front living room is actually getting cold now! Amazing, and really, no difference if the rear bed room.

The entire trailer is sooooo much cooler now! It's still in the middle 90's and the inside has dropped down at least 10 degrees (upper living room area) from where it was before I closed off that vent.

Amazing what one vent can, or cannot do.
That's a great idea! I can block off the bathroom vent and gain output to LV and BR. We were in 90 deg weather in Yosemite and the AC's worked great. They ran all day but is was in the mid 70's inside.
Old 06-10-2024, 05:56 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We installed this vent in the bathroom so you can turn it off when not needed. Fits perfectly.

THETFORD RV Camper 1.5 Flange CoolVent Deluxe Adjustable Ceiling AC Vent Polar White PN 94271 https://a.co/d/8u5Lagb
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 06:30 AM   #4
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
The racetrack duct is a stupid idea as far as air movement, but I understand why they built it that way. If one unit is out or during low load times, one unit can theoretically condition the whole coach. Having the 2 airstreams meet head on will create the highest pressure in the duct midway between the 2 units; a lot of cases this is the bathroom which needs the least amount of air. By blocking or restricting the airflow at that point will push more air to the ends of the coach. If you can get to it, the vents closest to the entry door are some that can be throttled down quite a bit and still be comfortable and push even more air to the ends. I put an adjustable vent in my bathroom (link below), even screwed closed as far as possible there is still enough air flow for the bathroom.

Grand Design supposedly uses a figure 8 duct system so the air flow from both or all 3 units is going the same direction.

https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Air-P...-C-4-Dia-White
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 08:22 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Good morning!

Ran only 1 AC last night, the one in the bed room (rear of camper, 13,500 btu).

Got up this morning, the entire camper was freezing! But the bathroom was still, just comfortable.

Outside heat is now approaching the middle 80's, sun is beating down, we're still running only 1 AC (front one now, 15,000 btu) over the living room, and the entire camper is like ... 68 degrees! Stepping from outside in this Louisiana swamp weather to inside the camper is now like, experiencing the hot tub and immediately jumping into the cold tub at a Turkish bath!

My wife and I are both absolutely amazed at the difference! Why didn't I figure this out 5 years ago when the camper was brand new!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote