Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
My advice is don't try to see too much on one trip. You end up only seeing things through the windshield of your truck. To really enjoy nature, you must be out of the truck and in it.

If you guys are in good health and able to hike a few miles each day, Yellowstone can be the most wonderful place in the US. A hike of a mile or two can get you well away from the crowds and open up a different world.
This is really good advice. Slow down enjoy the trip. This is why I suggest Union Pass and other places off the beaten path. Find places tourists don’t go. See the real west. Look for a bear or antelope or elk track in the dirt, or a marmont sunning his self on a rock, stuff you can’t see from your truck.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #22
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I originally had reservations at Fishing Bridge for Sept 2020. They canceled that and gave me first dibbs to make resos for Sept 2021. Made those resos and today I received email that Fishing Bridge will not be open at all in 2021. Resos cancelles.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #23
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
You’re referring to Headwaters Campground. Stayed there a week last year, right on the Snake River. Excellent, will accommodate big rigs. Excellent access to either GTNP or Yellowstone.
Sailun 637 tires Predator 3500 (2) paralleled
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #24
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
STIHLNTIME ... Fishing Bridge is inside Yellowstone Park at the north end of Yellowstone Lake. Headwaters is outside the park towards GTNP. Maybe you replied in error.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #25
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
We just got a message that are reservations have been canceled due to they are not going open this year.
FYI
ED
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #26
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Just saw Fishing Bridge CG is closed thru 2022.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #27
GEugeneS
Established Member

M.O.C. #9024
As an old biker, I can tell you that Sturgis can get really busy around the first few weeks of August. Sturgis is a sight unto itself and I miss it dearly, but Deadwood, Rushmore and all the surrounding areas as far away as Devils Tower will be quite crowded then.
GEugeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #28
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Are you sure three weeks is enough ?

In 2017, we did a 78 day trip around the country starting/ending in Ohio. Approximately 42 days were spent in the west. So much to see, we could have stayed longer.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #29
azeagleye
Established Member

M.O.C. #22231
Flagg Ranch is still there just south of the southern Yellowstone park border. Convenient to Grand Teton and loops in Yellowstone. Plenty of room for us.
azeagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #30
GEugeneS
Established Member

M.O.C. #9024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Are you sure three weeks is enough ?

In 2017, we did a 78 day trip around the country starting/ending in Ohio. Approximately 42 days were spent in the west. So much to see, we could have stayed longer.
Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. There is so much to see and do, and there's a lot of driving days on your trip.
GEugeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #31
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip this summer to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park. We will be leaving from central Arkansas and this is the longest trip we have ever planned. Our current route will take us through Kansas City Mo, Sioux Falls SD, Rapid City SD, Cody WY, Jackson WY, Salt Lake City UT, Grand Junction CO, Colorado Springs CO, Dodge City KS, Powhuska OK then home. We are looking for advise on the trip and suggestions on RV parks/campgrounds and must see sites along the way.
You will love it all. Cody is a wonderful. If you're I'd suggest the cowboy music and dinner show, I've forgotten the actual name. As someone mentioned the Winchester museum is well worth the time. Custer is one of our favorite places. We've been there 3 times. Have a great trip.
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #32
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
You will love it all. Cody is a wonderful. If you're I'd suggest the cowboy music and dinner show, I've forgotten the actual name. As someone mentioned the Winchester museum is well worth the time. Custer is one of our favorite places. We've been there 3 times. Have a great trip.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #33
jolley3315

M.O.C. #21994
100 nites rodeo in Cody Wy. a must attend event.
jolley3315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #34
J10er
Established Member

M.O.C. #24824
We did a similar trip in 2016, ready to do it again. The best camp we stayed at was in Hill City, SD. The Rafter J Bar Ranch, an old stage stop is conveniently just south of Hill City, west of Rushmore and north of Sitting Bull snd Custer Park.
Cody has an awesome museum, spend a whole day there easily. Wall, Sturgis, Deadwood, the Badlands, all awesome. Side trip to Crawford, NB for some cool history, Ft. Robinson...Yellowstone, The Tetons, Jackson Hole, Devil’s Tower, Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes, CO and Glen Haven-Drake, Salt Lake, Bonneville....I want to go again!!
J10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Cody actually 5 museums in one. A plains Indian museum, western art, Buffalo Bill Cody, Modern Are, and a firearms museum. Do you remember the old westerns, they have most of their real pistols. They have the largest private firearms collection in the US. The western art is fabulous as is all five.
You gotta see it. If it was on the east cost you need reservations to get in.

Short story. The first time I went to Wyoming two friends one in Dubois and one in Laramie told me I had to see the Cody museum so it thought I would spend 15 minutes to see this little museum, two days later I left. Yes it’s that good or better.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #36
Calbrewguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24836
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip this summer to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park. We will be leaving from central Arkansas and this is the longest trip we have ever planned. Our current route will take us through Kansas City Mo, Sioux Falls SD, Rapid City SD, Cody WY, Jackson WY, Salt Lake City UT, Grand Junction CO, Colorado Springs CO, Dodge City KS, Powhuska OK then home. We are looking for advise on the trip and suggestions on RV parks/campgrounds and must see sites along the way.
We highly recommend Gros Ventre campground just outside Jackson, WY. Beautiful spot next to the river with close proximity to Jackson, the Tetons and Yellowstone is about 1/2 hr. drive. Nice large sites some pull thru, some hookups, cheap. Great location for all the nearby attractions. Have fun. Take a fishing pole!
Calbrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:26 PM   #37
jbailey24
Established Member

M.O.C. #13773
Yellowstone options

My wife loves the Tetons/Jenny Lake and Yellowstone, so we stay in Moran, WY. It offers easy access to the South Entrance of Yellowstone, Tetons NP, and Jackson Hole WY
jbailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #38
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
Rapid City is so worth a 3/5 day stay. Mt. Rushmore
early when the sun rises and Custer State Park and Crazy Horse. We were there in September.. will give you goose bumps and tons of American pride. After Moab, Badlands was underwhelming for us...just our take. Enjoy the journey.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #39
SmallTownFireman

M.O.C. #21160
Stops along your route

We did a similar route from W TN to Rushmore. Will plan at later date to visit Yellowstone. We stayed at Heartland RV Park and Campground; 24743 SD-79, Hermosa, SD 57744.

I would also look at stopping along the route at:
Cabelas at 601 Cabela Dr, Mitchell, SD 57301

&

If you are hauling the 5’er and want to see the falls. Drive I-229 over to Smithfield Foods, Inc. 1400 N Weber Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57103.
Then to
Falls Park Farmer's Market
Sioux Falls, SD 57101
There is a railroad overpass at 10’ that my GPS wanted to route me under. But found I-229 & Smithfield was much safer.

Don’t rush, enjoy.
SmallTownFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #40
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugchick View Post
Rapid City is so worth a 3/5 day stay. Mt. Rushmore
early when the sun rises and Custer State Park and Crazy Horse. We were there in September.. will give you goose bumps and tons of American pride. After Moab, Badlands was underwhelming for us...just our take. Enjoy the journey.
I'm easily impressed. I loved it all. Also Custer State park was great. We were in Rapid City area for a little over a month. We did have some damaged to truck and 5th wheel while there the last time.