Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2015, 04:33 AM   #1
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Grayland WA to Florence OR-Coastal or Interstate?

Hi MOC,

In September, we will begin our descent down from the Northwest to Santa Barbara staying at Thousand Trails parks along the way.

Our first leg, we are going from GRAYLAND, WA down to FLORENCE, OR. Our GoodSam Trip planner wanted to take us the INTERSTATE route as pictured below. I then had Good Sam route me along the Oregon Coast Highway 101.

CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE BOTH ROUTES:

http://content.screencast.com/users/..._07-10-19.jpeg

The time for each is fairly equal (INTERSTATE is 20 minutes faster) even though the COASTAL route is 70 miles less.

QUESTION: We don’t wish to have an Ortega Highway or Malibu Highway experience where it is extremely scary, but we have gone through Reno and Bend Oregon and those are fine.

IS THE OREGON COASTAL HIGHWAY ROUTE ONE TO AVOID AND WE SHOULD TAKE THE INTERSTATE?

Thank you for your input.

Brett

HelloFreedom.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
My question is... How far do you intend drive in one day? Are you looking for speed... Or scenic?

If you stay on the combo 101 and 1 you will be fine. There are some curvy roads in the whole stretch down to Santa Barbara. When the 1 separates from 101.. Keep on the 101 when pulling the rig.

We do.... The 101 and stay off the 1 when pulling the trailer. We park the rig and then do day trips to the ocean.

We do the 101/1 every chance we get.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Myna, You are such a wonderful resource of experience. Thank you and Bob very much. YES, we will now route our trip staying on the 101. Exactly the advice we were looking for. ~Brett
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We just came up Hwy 101 from Florence to The WA Coast 2 weeks ago and 101 is a Beautiful ride ,we do it every year, there is some construction going on here and there along the way so some delay's are possible and the roads are a little Bumpy in spots But GO FOR IT!! and have a good time and enjoy the ride
Old 08-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
take the coastal route,you wont regret it.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Thanks BSJ (Go Hawks!) and CatSkinner, We are very glad to hear these glowing reports. There are no rest areas during this stretch, but I'm thinking there will be some stopping opportunities maybe at an ocean overlook or something like that.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
YEAH GO HAWKS!!.....You will have Many places to pull over and take pics of the Ocean down below in my Pic you see I am at one of them on the Oregon Coast,when I took this Picture the Pacific was behind and below me..ENJOY Brett and Cheri!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HelloFreedom.us

Thanks BSJ (Go Hawks!) and CatSkinner, We are very glad to hear these glowing reports. There are no rest areas during this stretch, but I'm thinking there will be some stopping opportunities maybe at an ocean overlook or something like that.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
There is a rest area on hwy 401 in wa. just before going over the bridge to Astoria and there are many day use rest stops and scenic veiwpoints along the way. Also some nice county parks and Elk Lodges and campgrounds.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 AM   #9
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
The freeway will get you there faster. The 101/1 will get you there with a lot of traffic but a lot of nice scenery. I don't recommend the 1 below San Francisco as it is nasty with a fifth-wheel. I only did it because my wife routed us that way in the early days of computer road maps. She plugged in shortest route not fasted to get to Hurst Castle. The 1 in that section was about 10-20 MPH max and had one way roads due to large land slides. This route was driven in the middle of the night. Long ago in the late 90's and almost a funny memory.

Tom Marty

Old 08-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #10
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
C
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

The freeway will get you there faster. The 101/1 will get you there with a lot of traffic but a lot of nice scenery. I don't recommend the 1 below San Francisco as it is nasty with a fifth-wheel. I only did it because my wife routed us that way in the early days of computer road maps. She plugged in shortest route not fasted to get to Hurst Castle. The 1 in that section was about 10-20 MPH max and had one way roads due to large land slides. This route was driven in the middle of the night. Long ago in the late 90's and almost a funny memory.

Tom Marty

OMG!!! That route is hard enough in day light! Wow!!! Brave Man!!!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote