Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
RV sites????

What with the price of diesel fuel and all is anyone seeing a change in vacancy rates at the campgrounds? I thought maybe now that Covid is relaxing a bit combined with the price of fuel that we might get back to some sort of normal. I remember when you pulled into a campground and they said go pick our your site and let us know. Now it's like finding hens teeth to get a spot at any destination campground. I sure hope things get back to normal shortly. Speaking of fuel prices, I heard diesel fuel is nearing $7.00 a gallon in California and up the west coast, is this correct or just some hipe? Here in Arizona we are paying around $4.45 to $4.99 for diesel fuel which is high enough by any stretch of imagination!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
……. ………. I remember when you pulled into a campground and they said go pick our your site and let us know. Now it's like finding hens teeth to get a spot at any destination campground. ….
Ahh, yes. Those were the days.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:41 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I live in Mesa and almost all stations have diesel for $5.19. I was planning on going to CA thru San Bernardino so was checking prices on Gasbuddy. At the 5 mile marker into AZ, one station had diesel for$4.85 and another a little over $5. Over the border in Blythe - literally about 5 or 10 miles - and it was $6.15 or so. Somewhere around San B it was almost $ 6.80.
Good news for me is this summer I am heading to Montana, Co, and the midwest where it currently is under $5.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Just filled up in Kansas City, Mo. $4.39 down from a high of $4.95 three weeks ago.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Unhappy

It seemed like a year ago we could plan trips from one month to the next. Now, if we don't book a site at least 6 months in advance, we either can't get a site, or cannot get the site we would like. We have 2 trips to WV coming in April and June. I had to book those both last March. for the June trip, we booked the last 2 sites available more than a year in advance!
Hoping things would get better with Covid calming down now and diesel getting more and more expensive. We haven't seen a change yet, though.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We were camped at an Indiana State Park, 2 weeks in March. Even though the weather still dipped down below freezing, it rained, snowed, and everything, we were very surprised at how many people were camping there. At times, it look like the campground was filled about 50%.

We stayed at Fox Fire KOA at Milton, West Virginia on Saturday, April 2 and that campground was packed solid. We'd made reservations a couple weeks ago.

We are now at Mayberry Campground at Mount Airy, North Carolina. On our trip from Indiana to here, we were surprised at how many RVers were on the road. Of course, they were going the opposite direction, South to North, and this is the beginning of Spring Break season too. Maybe a number of these were the Southern snow birds heading back North for the Summer. Still, it was overwhelming the numbers on the road.

Mayberry Campground is a huge campground. Just sense yesterday we've taken several walks around the campground and I'm really in awe again at how full this one is too. This is only April 4, and a Monday, at it looks like it's maybe, 75% filled. There are some sections in the campground layout for pull through's. I've figured it out these are probably designated for the over nighters. There were several in this section when we got out of bed, they are mostly gone now. So, it looks like they keep this section for short term, transient, overnights. Still, it's amazing how full this campground is too.

Fuel prices (diesel) at Flying J's along the interstates, consistently were $5.45 if you were not a trucker. Off the interstates, it could be found for $4.99 or a bit less. At 9.5 mpg towing our fifth wheel, this IS an expensive trip. And we're just starting.

We'll be at Mayberry for a week, then 2 weeks South of Charlotte, N.C.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Well, the crowded campground situation isn’t likely to improve. Hundreds of YouTube channels dedicated to extolling the virtues of the nomadic lifestyle, boomers retiring at a rate of 1000’s per day, and Millineals discovering they can “work” remotely. Add to this the fact that very few new parks are being built due to the inflated cost of real estate, and the prospects look poor indeed. And don’t forget, in 2021 alone we have opened the door to 3 million new “Americans”, with more on the way.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Yes, you're correct.........gas in my state (California) is horrible. Diesel in LA County is around $6.75 a gallon. I try and use our Vons/Albertsons rewards points, which allow up to $1.00 off per gallon for a total of 25 gallons......not enough to fill an empty tank, but it helps.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #9
Reichster

M.O.C. #30082
Last week in Crescent City, CA (The Giant Redwoods Country) diesel was between $7.15 and $7.25 a gallon. This week the lower price station has it down to $6.97 a gallon. We're also finding numerous things happening with campground availability. The last couple of camping trips we've noticed that the park isn't completely full with empty spaces but there are reserved signs on the campsites. I asked the host about it and they said that a lot are reserving their spot 6 months to a year in advance, paid for, and don't show. He stated legally they can't re-rent the spot so it sits vacant. The other thing we've noticed is campgrounds have raised their prices and cut back on services. This month we're off to McCloud RV park and they have eliminated WIFI in the park and cable. When I emailed the owner they stated that it seems to them most people have Hot Spot on their phones so they don't plan on furnishing it in the future. He suggested if I don't have Hot Spot then to register with Starlink to the tune of $99 a month.
Reichster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Second day at Mayberry (Mount Airy), NC. Yesterday by noon, the drive-through campsites abandoned, and by night fall, they were all filled up again. Walked around this morning and couldn't find any drive-through unoccupied. And today is only April 5 and this is Tuesday! FYI, did more walking around yesterday, and this is one huge campground! And I think Class A motor homes far out number fifth wheels and travel trailers combined camped here right now. We are completely surrounded by Class A. Kind of makes me feel a little squirmish, kind of like that time in 1971 when I pup-tented from the back of my motorcycle at a KOA traveling from Indiana to Texas and I had a campsite between a motor home and a fifth wheel. And there I was with my 2 man pup tent and a sleeping bag on the ground and a motorcycle eating cold pork-n-beans straight from the can.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:00 PM   #11
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
It’s all over I paid 4.75 a gal in Georgia today
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:42 PM   #12
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Second day at Mayberry (Mount Airy), NC. Yesterday by noon, the drive-through campsites abandoned, and by night fall, they were all filled up again. Walked around this morning and couldn't find any drive-through unoccupied. And today is only April 5 and this is Tuesday! FYI, did more walking around yesterday, and this is one huge campground! And I think Class A motor homes far out number fifth wheels and travel trailers combined camped here right now. We are completely surrounded by Class A. Kind of makes me feel a little squirmish, kind of like that time in 1971 when I pup-tented from the back of my motorcycle at a KOA traveling from Indiana to Texas and I had a campsite between a motor home and a fifth wheel. And there I was with my 2 man pup tent and a sleeping bag on the ground and a motorcycle eating cold pork-n-beans straight from the can.

When hauling transport loads of diesel fuel to inland drilling rigs back in my youth, many was the time I warmed up a can of beans, soup or sausages on the exhaust manifold while offloading. Sure hoping don't have to go back to that! LOL With the price of fuel now days, the drivers are hauling liquid gold....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:33 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
many was the time I warmed up a can of beans, soup or sausages on the exhaust manifold
One of my great memories of all times is when we were on a tent camping trip from East Texas to California. I don't know the exact spot but it was on the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada along a little creek where we stopped to take a can of Salisbury steaks off the manifold of our little Pontiac Tempest where I had wired it some time before.

That would have been in 1963, almost 60 years ago. We camped for almost a week at Emerald Bay State Park on the shore of Lake Tahoe. Our daughter was 8 months old and we were camping in a tent. Those were the days
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:31 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Reply 11 by wed mentioned it was all over. It's far from over in my neck of the woods. In January, just 2.5 short months ago before the Ukraine deal cut loose, our diesel was $3.59 a gallon, it's still $4.69 today down from a high of $4.99 a gallon. I will say Rotella and Motorcraft diesel oil is slowly coming back in stock locally. As for beans ... beans the musical fruit, The more you eat, the more ........
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:11 AM   #15
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Hey, dieselguy. I thought he meant it was happening all over the country? Maybe I took it wrong.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bye Ned, I think you're right ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #17
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Nearly every site is occupied near me. I thought most of the snowbirds left around March 31st, but not this year.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Phil saw his shadow this year. Longer winter.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #19
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I met Phil's wife in Florida. She says he's a compulsive liar.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
These stories reminded me of the time my brother and I were Turkey hunting in Va. We were 5 miles from the nearest house and it was 5 miles over Rough Mountain, did you get Rough? We were in his popup. Our battery was almost dead the truck wouldn’t start. What to do, nobody ever came up there. My brother got the bright idea to take one spark plug out and the truck started right up. We let it run for a half hour put the plug back in and went home.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote