Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #121
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Randy - good question - I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. Hopefully someone here has some good input.

akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #122
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the patch at the bottom of the galley tank held BUT there is a leak when the tank is filled up so there is a leak at the top also. Understand that the leaks on the gray and galley tank occurred when this 3402 was stationary and had been stationary for two months.

It would be a good idea to check under your unit if you have the one piece underbelly and look for the underbelly budging.
If the galley tank or black tank has leaked you would of course get the smell but the only way we knew the gray tank had leaked is when the weight of the water in the underbelly tore the screws out of the ends of the underbelly material and the water dumped on the ground

Don't know what our options are now as we are living in this thing and everything we have is in it. The 3 keystone dealers in this area are all camping worlds and booked for repairs.
There is a Mobile RV repair shop that MIGHT do the job at our site.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #123
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What a nightmare. Hope you find a way through it soon.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #124
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just a thought Rich,

Since you have to have both gray/galley replaced anyway, just leave them open.

That however, does not give you good rinsing of black, sewer hose, etc., UNLESS you have a functional spray cleaner head. (Ours failed years ago, so we don't have that thing any longer.)

I would be on the phone to the Mobile Tech, yesterday!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 AM   #125
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They are open which is not our preference but the only option we have. We have no leaking when the tanks are open...

Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #126
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had some Florida cold weather .The furnace actually ran. Helen said she felt a draft on the floor and traced it to the vents under the steps in this 3402. No said I the front compartment is heated look said I there is the vent. I took the vents under the steps off and yes there is a vent but there is nothing attached to it. There is no ducting anywhere.
There was no heat coming out of the vent in the John but in that case the ducting had never been connected. The ducting does not exist for the vent in the front compartment. So is that vent a phony vent to make us thinkthe front compartment is heated or is it for something else.????
Old 12-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #127
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Rich; I would think there would not be a lot of difference between your 2013 and my 2012 with respect to the heater vents. On mine the one the goes into the storage area never had anything connected to it. (another engineering marvel) The little round one in the bathroom on mine had fallen off, I put it back on and taped it. It always screamed like a banshee when the furnace was on and provided very little heat to the bathroom/shower area, that is why I put a register beside the tub.

You should have 3 flexible hoses coming from your furnace, one 4" goes to the ducting that feeds the bedroom enclosing two aluminum frame members right to the front wall through the storage area. There are two 2", one to the bathroom and one just lies in the tank area to feed warm air to the underbelly, part of your heated "arctic package".

You would notice lots of cold air coming in under the steps particularly if you have some of the underbelly still not closed in.

In your case I would close off those under step vents with a rug or something for the time being to keep the cold air out of the living area. Your furnace will get lots of fresh air from the underbelly area to operate properly. Of course you have to remove part of the storage wall to get in there to put any ducting back in place that may have fallen off.

Here is what the vents from my furnace looks like, can't see the furnace because of the HW heater:

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #128
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Have you checked the lemon laws in your state? Seems with all the problems you've had you should have some sort of recourse. Just a thought.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #129
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The worker making the wall for the storage area was told to put a vent in it, he does not install the wall and likely does not know there is a 2" gap between the top of the wall and the floor. The vent really does nothing unless it was intended to have been fed from splitting the 4" to the bedroom ducting.

There are many of us who have had "many" problems with our Montana's, what gets reported here is just the tip of the iceberg among the many thousands of non MOC members and even members who do not report their problems.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #130
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cwalker

Have you checked the lemon laws in your state? Seems with all the problems you've had you should have some sort of recourse. Just a thought.
Since neither his dealer nor Montana have had a chance to fix the problems yet, I don't think a lemon law is applicable.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #131
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The round louvered vent in rear wall of the front storage compartment never had any sign of ductwork going to it on my 2011 ... I've looked at several different models the past couple of years at RV shows ... none have had any ducting hooked to the round vent. I had a post with pictures a couple of years ago entitled "I've discovered a design flaw" about the divider wall between the under the step area and the front storage compartment being far from sealed from both the underbelly and front storage compartment, but cannot pull it up thru a archived search. There seems to be about a 3" gap below the wall shown in Irlpguy's photo on any Montana model with the new drop frame that came out with a few years back. If you have any belly pan hanging down it'll just act like a big scoop for air to blast right up behind the vent under your steps ... guaranteed. The wall behind the convenience center's plastic guard in the front storage is non existent (if you remove the plastic guard), so I believe that is how Keystone figures on heating the storage compartment along with all the water connections ... not the fake vent.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #132
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Like Ed said the vent is for nothing and I blocked off the stairs a long time ago and it really helps keep the cold air out with no ill effects to the furnace it gets plenty of return air from the basement
Old 12-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #133
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I don't know about lemon laws in other states but in Illinois, I believe the time limit is one year and I don't know how that applies to RVs,
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #134
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok thanks for the feedback it is a make believe vent that serves no purpose. we will block off the steps. We do not have a lemon we have the average production Montana that gets a lot of use and is not up to that neither was our 06 3400.
That is not a slam it is just a fact.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #135
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There is a federal lemon law that varies in how it's applied by state. Here's some info on it: http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/lemon-rv.htm
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #136
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich, Sorry to read that your Big Sky is not standing up to the test of time. I know what I would be doing with that unit - sell it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #137
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are looking hard at that .I do think that we made a big mistake in assuming that Keystone had improved their quality control and build quality. My fault and my problem. We can't unload it with two leaking tanks and a underbelly full of holes.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #138
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
And, how do you answer the question..."why are you selling a new and beautiful Big Sky??"
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #139
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not accustomed to being a liar and the question would be a problem for me. The other problem is what would I purchase that would be better that we can afford. I really don't think I could get a comparable product with better build quality.

We do have a option . We have been considering the purchase of a lot here in this RV resort with a single wide on the lot for our winter getaways. This experience may be the push that we needed.

We have no ill feeling's toward Keystone /Montana. They build what people will buy and they do well at that.

We did roll the issue around when we purchased this Big Sky. What brand would have a better build quality. Touring the plants and looking at the forums we decided there was not one.

Keystone has always had great customer service and that was a big plus.

Understand that we have the GS extended warranty so it is not going to cost me much out of pocket we have the 200.00 deductible.

If we were back in Ohio this thing would already be at D&T Rv repair for the repair.

Also understand that we are asking nothing from Keystone .We are informing them of what IMO is a build quality issue. What they do has no bearing on what we will do.

They are asking for pictures which is impossible to do without the tanks being on the ground so I guess they got me there. Makes no difference the repair is on me and GS.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #140
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Rich, as you know, we have had a lot of problems that I have not posted about. As you, we are looking at a lot in our park in Florida and that would alliviate the issues we've had. I can still use ours for weekends and a couple weeks at a time, but it's the long term living that is the problem. Selling would be a problem as it costs way too much to get a new one and we are on a limited income which doesn't go as far as it did 10 years ago.
As for the lemon law, the unit must be out of service longer than in service and by using it all winter, that's not applicable.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote