Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #41
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Looked at a Ford KR today (2007 model though); front bucket seats (captain chairs) have interior arms at same height as the door arm rest; then you have the center console with same leather cover. Very sharp. Local dealer has several units on order but none have arrived as yet so haven't had a chance to drive. However, I got burned so badly on my 03 (and 04 after Ford and / or dealer bought back the 03) I'm going to wait a year or so. My Dodge has been super so....

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #42
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The Freightliner actually has a lower operating cost over the life of the truck compared to a Light truck. But to justify the initial outlay it cannot sit in the driveway.
400K miles on a diesel pick up is a good life. A medium truck should easily last 800K and is much more rebuildable than a light truck ever will be. After all, it is by design by the big three to have a planed obsolesence for the purpose of selling a new truck.
Do not get the Cat 3126 however. Get the Merceded. More expensive up front but far more reliable.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #43
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
I would like to get your opinion on the Freightliner M2. You seem to be in the know, and your honest opinions would be appreciated. Below are the links to the 2 trucks I am looking at. One has the 330hp Mercedes motor, and the other has a 410 hp Mercedes.

http://www.sportchassis.com/componen...ventoryid,996/
http://neelycoble.com/inventory/bigp...asp?ID=1754371
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:05 AM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Montana Sky, the tow rating on the F350 KR with 3.73 gears is 15,200? On my 2005 F250 4x4 CC with 3.73 gears it is slightly higher, at 15,400. Same 23,000 gcwr. I didn't think they dropped when I looked at the numbers so I better look again. Anyhow, I think you have to go to the numerically higher rear end ratios to get bigger numbers but I don't think those are available in the SRW, are they?

MDT may work for some but that doesn't work for us. I'll stick with the F350/F250 or 3500/2500 range. As fulltimers, the tow vehicle is also our daily driver and our sightseeing machine, including some mile offroad scenic routes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #45
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I am getting all my information on the ratings and rear ends out of the 2008 Super Duty brochure I picked up while driving the new King Ranch. I double checked the brochure as I do not want to mislead anyone, and 15,200 is correct. Also the 3.73 is the only rear end available on the F250 & F350 SRW. If you go into the DRW you have a choice of 3.73 @ 15,200 lbs, the 4.10 @ 15,200 lbs, or the 4.30 @ 17,700 lbs. This information is on page 25 of the 2008 Ford Super Duty brochure.

I understand your concern on the MDT. The Frieghtliner M2 has a 187" wheel base and the new Ford is 174" on the crew long bed. Not much bigger, but would sure cause a problem for your "off road" adventures. I am still kicking the RV transport idea around which is one of the reasons I am so interested in the M2. At the cost of these new LDT's that are coming out, buying 2 of them would end up costing me more than buying 1 M2. Plus having a million mile motor and the ability to tow larger loads would offer me more opportunity in the transport business. Goes back to the old saying of different strokes for different folks...
Old 02-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:

However Delaine likes the 08 F-350 Kings Ranch edition, my problem is I have never owned a Ford product.
Lindy, for whatever it's worth, I switched to Ford trucks when I bought a new 1992 F150 and have never regretted the move. Ford trucks have treated me very well. I did have some early problems with the early 2003 6.0L diesel dying periodically on me but they eventually got that fixed. Any brand will have an occasional lemon but I can assure you the Ford is a good truck. It must be, the F-series has been the number one seller for 30 years in a row, now. The other brands are also good. I just wanted to be on record because of your never having owned a Ford and naturally being worried about switching brands. Either of those brands you are considering should do a good job for you.

Dave, thanks for the update. I am surprised at those numbers, but so be it. I downloaded the brochure awhile back but haven't looked at it in a couple of weeks and my memory is not that good. A MDT is the right solution for some. Just not for me.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #47
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I looked yesterday at two 2008 F250's, which is all that dealer had on the lot. Both 6.4L. One a King Ranch, the other a Lariat. Both beautiful trucks. The KR had nearly every option and was at $55k. I didn't see the price on the Lariat but the salesman said they're getting full sticker and they're gone within two days. When I priced a Lariat with all the goodies we want, at the Ford site, msrp came out to a smidge under $51k. But that's an F350 SRW Lariat very heavily loaded. I understand the King Ranch option is something like five grand.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #48
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, you need to come on back to Kansas City. They had the new F450 listed in the paper today on sale for only $61,500.00 while supply last.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #49
Grumpy-1

M.O.C. #6447
I am new to this site. I joined because my wife Janie and I have out hearts set on the 3400RL. I was informed by several long time well versed pick-up owners that the Chevy Duramax was the best pick-up hands down.

I have never owned a pick-up, in fact I have not owned a personal vehicle since February 2, 1966. I have always had a company owned vehicle. The vehiclesd I purchased for the family was the kind that a wife and 2 teen age daughters wanted. Even that was sone years ago.

After reading the opinions of everyone on this site regarding GM, Ford, Dodge etc. I am confused on which is best to pull the Montana with. Our desires are a truck to pull the Montana, carry my wife, our two Australian Shepards and myself in comfort to as many distant dog shows as possible, as well as the usual travel.

My purchase date has been delayed waiting on the new GM HD's to arrive.

I am now wondering, should I wait, or take some of the advice mentioned here and buy something else?
Grumpy-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #50
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

Making the price of a Freightliner FL60 Allison transmission and 330HP Mercedes more attractive.
That's pretty much what I was thinking; either that or something like it. There is no comparison between these and pickups.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 AM   #51
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Grumpy-1, Your going to hear a lot of pros and cons on all the trucks. In the end you will have to make up your own mind as to what truck you buy. I just changed to a 3400RL and will be towing it with my current truck, a Duramax/Allison. I will pay particular attention to the pin weight, but am not too worried, because we don't carry a lot of stuff. Dodgeis a fine truck and will seve you well, So are Fords, the only thing that is scary right now about fords is the ongoing problem between Ford and Navistar, the maufacturer of the new diesel for the Ford. I think that is being ironed out, and has become a kind of non-problem. Dodge's parent company Chrysler is on the sales block by Daimler, So it remains to be seen as to what effect that will have on Dodge sales.
As I said before, It will have to be your decision, but all three trucks will serve you well, as long as you stay cognizant of your trucks specifications and your personal carry items.
Just my opinion

one edit---Grumpy-Pa is what my Grandkids call me, they think it's funny
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #52
Grumpy-1

M.O.C. #6447
Rickety: Thanks for the reply. I had my mind made up until I started reading. Since I have no experience with trucks, I think I will take the advice from some of my friends here in Texas and go for the Duramax. I went so far as to look at all the owners pages. Count was:
Ford: 80, GM/Chevy: 73, and Dodge 34.

I'll be a regular on here and am looking forward to meeting other owners in our travels.

Rickety: I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Grumpy-1
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #53
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Grumpy, congratulations on your decision. I'm partial to the Fords because they have done such a great job for me and have treated me well. Others feel likewise about the GM's and the Dodges. I think it's hard to go wrong with any of those diesel trucks. Each is a good choice. Good luck with yours.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #54
Grumpy-1

M.O.C. #6447
Thanks for the encouragement Steve. I think I will stick with my original decision and go for the Duramax.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #55
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grumpy,
I also am a Ford guy but you can't go wrong with the Duramax. It's a great truck.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #56
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Grumpy, I surely do not think you will regret your decision. We have a 2002 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison with nearly 75,000 miles and 50,000 of those towing our Montana--including frequent trips to the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado.

My comments are restrained, but you should hear my wife exult as she talks with others about our pickup. She thinks "it tows like a dream!"

[BTW, she grew up near Houston. We spent a couple of nights out at "Haven's Landing" at Montgomery in February.]
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #57
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Grumpy: Just to add my .02 worth -- I love the Ford cab but the 6.0 Liter engine in the 2003/04 model years had more problems than I could handle, so went to Dodge because of the reliability of the 5.9L cummins engine (you'll read many post where owners quote the saying 'bought the cummins, it just happened to be wrapped in a Dodge'. That said, this year Dodge and Ford have come out with new engines (EPA stuff etc...)while GMC kept the Duramax with some upgrades. Bottom line -- as many have said, each will do the job for you, it ultimately up to what you are comfortable with. My suggestion would be to take the wife and take a decent drive in each one; get a feel for the cab layout and the seats, doors (amazing how no-one thinks about how the back seat passengers get in / out) and overall visibility (with trailer-tow mirrors !!!). Greatest truck (engine and transmission) in the world is not going to work if you are not comfortable in it for the hours you'll be towing.

Best wishes, and welcome to the forum. Great people here.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #58
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Grumpy,
I have over 100,000 miles combined between my previous 2003 Duramax and my current 2004 Duramax. Having towed a large variety of trailers, I must agree with your friends. The Duramax and Allison is one great combination that will provide you many miles of happy towing. Just my two cents worth...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #59
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
I'm with the others who have the Duramax. We have nearly 50k miles on it since we bought it, and have no complaints. I would have opted for the Cummins, and just took the Dodge, but didn't feel comfortable with their automatics. When they put an Allison behind a Cummins, then maybe, just maybe, I'd reconsider! If I wanted a manual transmission, I'd be in a Dodge. But for now, I'll take the Duramax over any of the others.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have driven Duramax's in small school busses with over 200k hard miles..No problem. Have also diven the same model bus with the chevy Gas motor with the same milage...no problem..What does that prove.....nothing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote