Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is a nice decor.Montana can't get away with much because of this forum, If they put the decor in a couple of Hundered Montana's and spread them around the country without the forum it may have goner unnoticed. My guess is that if folks like it and the orders come in they will continue it.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree, Rich. This stuff looks a little more expensive, though. Not sure. Of course, the prices are climbing anyway on the units as a whole...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #23
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Worked for a couple of RV dealers and the markup was generally 40% or more. However, with several of the brands, the MSRP was set by the dealer, so beware of the numbers. If there is a particular rig that you are dickering with, look on the data plate to see when it was mfg'd. If it is more than three months old, they should take way less--don't be afraid to point this out to them, especially now at the end of the model year. As far as what you are getting for your used rig, look up the wholesale price and don't figure any add-ons in the price. The dealer is actually going to give you wholesale less 10% or $2,000 whichever is more. So if your rig comes in at $16,000 wholesale, then you're getting $14,000. It doesn't matter what the figures they give you are, this is what it is worth to them. If the MSRP is $50,000, then they paid $30,000 and maybe transportation. Subtract your trade-in as valued above and you'll know what is happening. If you aren't close, just walk out--tell your salesperson, if they can come to a reasonable price, you'll think about it later and then see what happens.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #24
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
from what i know 20% is av. so 18% is not bad when we bought ours the dealer first offer was only about 14%, but sin ce i do sales and nego. for a living we got to about 22% (after some time) [was trying for 25%].
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pay attention to the post from those of us who have some experience in selling RV's. Those are good numbers,,having said that the MSVRP supplied by DEALERS can be a moving target,I have seen MSVRP's vary by over 6K dealer to dealer..So the 18/20% off MSVRP MAY be a good price depending on what the Dealer MSVRP is. One dealer may post a MSVRP of 60K and on a identical unit another dealer may post a MSVRP of 56K.. The dealer with the 60K MSVRP may offer 30% off..what a deal.The dealer with the 56K MSVRP may offer 25% off...same deal... But you most likely will not get 30% off the 56K MSVRP.. Myself only I would tell the dealer that is offereing 15/18% off MSVRP that we will talk when they get serious. Of course when you trade a unit that can efffect the deal...
Old 06-30-2006, 03:30 AM   #26
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Rich,

Your post was exactly what I experienced when we bought ours last month.

The dealer in Houston had a higher MSVRP but would come off a higher percentage. Our dealer 20 minutes from us had a lower MSVRP but didn't discount as much. After several calls to the dealership in Houston they couldn't or wouldn't beat the local dealers price. In fact they told me that I was getting a good deal.

You got a good deal if you drive off the lot with a smile on your face. We did because we liked the price and the service that was given during our PDI.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #27
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
A subnote to Dave Sprik and others on the fabric, I saw that V. Gold listed in that new 2007 brochure that Dave found and gave us all the URL for. So, looks like it is a go for at least a while.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The V. Gold does look nice in person. Cheryl and I are not what we consider "gaudy" people. We shy away from that kind of stuff constantly. However, when Cheryl saw this decor on the plant floor, she was struck immediately. And for what it's worth, I was too. It is a very sharp looking material. I'm not sure on the material that they matched the recliners with, or the bedroom comforter/headboard, but Cheryl said it "brings out the colors of the other material." What the heck is that supposed to mean?!? I do like the valence decor, though, and the border designs (at least I learned what a valence and a border was...).

Where's my torque wrench??? I'm starting to get into subject matter that guys need to stay away from...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #29
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Dave,

We are going to have you knitting before you know it. You are a very smart man, keep the little woman happy and your life is on cloud nine. Mess with her stuff and she might ask if she can work on your truck

I know you are excited as your countdown clock is almost over.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #30
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
A good way to find out msrp is to call your credit union they will only loan on 1 and a half times dealer invoice A little trick I learned along the way
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Dave,

We are going to have you knitting before you know it. You are a very smart man, keep the little woman happy and your life is on cloud nine. Mess with her stuff and she might ask if she can work on your truck

I know you are excited as your countdown clock is almost over.
Colleen, on the knitting - No you won't... I don't like knitting, don't like WATCHING someone knit. Kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard to me...

On the "happy wife". I was told that principle a long time ago. I know for a fact that works. She's not touching my truck, though! (Still a little problem with her thinking it's "her" truck. We working on that, yet.)

On our countdown. We've had to adjust our clock a few times (had more than a few people actually try to STOP it)... but it will be worth it. I find there's always a reason why things happen the way they do. I have known for a few years now that there is MY timing... and then there is GOD's timing. He never lets me down, but the doggone clock He uses drives me nuts sometimes...
Old 06-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boat391

A good way to find out msrp is to call your credit union they will only loan on 1 and a half times dealer invoice A little trick I learned along the way
Good tip, Tim. There are a lot of prospective buyers out there that really have a hard time in the RV industry trying to figure out if they are getting even CLOSE to a good deal. This info should help.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:00 AM   #33
bardave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5894
Driftwoodgal....
you comment about the Houston RV dealer quoting a price that couldnt touch where you bought yours...only dealer in Houston that Im trying to work with is Holiday World ...one out on Katy Freeway and the other on I-45 south ...same owner therefore same prices.
sure would like to know where you got yours...30 mins away from houston?? I know of no other dealer nearby selling Montana's

And to all....thanks for this valuable information regarding percentage off and prices.. I didnt realize different dealers had different MSRP's

dave
bardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Some dealers may use their own forms or perhaps add some costs to the msrp but ours uses the standard Keystone form I've seen other places.

While I agree 18% is a bit low you also have to factor in the distance to the dealer, his service reputation, your past experience with him, etc. We just ordered our third Montana, the second from this dealer. Our percentage discount is tough to figure since there is a tradein involved. Best I can figure is 25% to 27% or in that neighborhood. We'll go with that because we're very pleased with this dealer and their service department. And we spend more time in this area than in any other.

As others said, I'm convinced you can get your best deal by ordering. The dealer doesn't have the expense of advertising the unit nor the storage and insurance costs. Our dealer agreed with that. The Montanas are such quick sellers I suspect any purchases they can deflect to ordering rather than buying off the lot allows them to keep that many more Montanas on the lot for potential buyers to see.

When we ordered ours we looked at two 3400's on the dealer's lot. Two days later we went back with intent to scour the details of a 3400 to help us figure out where we can fit our gear. Both had been sold and were locked. In two days.

Keep in mind a 2006 is now last year's model and should command a bigger discount. I've heard an additional 5% but that's just what I heard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #35
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Bardave,

We bought our Montana from Evergreen RV in Buda, Texas. The dealership is about 15 minutes outside of Austin Texas. The salesman that we dealt with was Brad Powell. I would use him over the other salesman as he really is on the ball and follows up on things. Depending where you are I am guessing you are about 3 to 3 1/2 hours from the dealership.

Colleen
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #36
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
This is really valuable info provided on this thread for potential future use. As a curiosity, how would you go about finding out what the wholesale value is on a used Monty?
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #37
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
You might try NADA.com
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:18 AM   #38
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Mike,
Thanks, I found Retail prices on the NADA site, but no wholesale. Did I miss the wholesale menu somewhere? Is there a rule of thumb like a % ratio to come up with Wholesale prices?

Thanks, Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm not sure the url but doesn't Kelly Bluebook online have that info? You're right that nadaguides.com shows only high and low retail, not wholesale.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I'm not sure the url but doesn't Kelly Bluebook online have that info? You're right that nadaguides.com shows only high and low retail, not wholesale.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

www.kbb.com

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box