Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #21
EllsworthToohey
Established Member

M.O.C. #29777
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKrieger View Post
How about coating the plywood edges with a thin layer of any kind of caulk?
Using some sort of caulk or sealant might work, but as someone else noted as the slide goes in and out it might just get scraped off, especially on the bottom surface which rubs across a large span of nylon in the floor of the main cabin, that acts as a bearing surface. I did apply long strips of black gorilla tape to the edges and folded it underneath because on the forward edge where the most damage was done, the black plastic woven barrier material had been damaged by wear over the years. I live in this unit full time on private land, so will not be activating the slides very often. This tape might also be scraped off by the slide action, but it is not a concern for me. If your rig is still in good shape you really only need a reliable drip edge to prevent the water collecting there anyways.

But keep in mind, that the plywood is not exposed. it is captured within the envelope of the black plastic.

EllsworthToohey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:49 AM   #22
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
Slide skis

Well upon reading this I went and checked my slides on my 2020 3931. It appears I have 4 holes on the large dinette slide on both ends. See the pic. It looks like someone screwed in screws then backed them out. 2 of the holes were moist when I stuck a paper towel in them. Does not feel bad around them yet so hoping I can just put some sealant in them and might go with the skis I seen in the video. I do move 2 times a year and figure the skis will help with wear over the years on top of helping with water. I used the tape method for now as I am snow birding in Florida for 3 months. I will get those skis ordered.
Would be so easy for the factory to fix this issue while in construction of unit!!!

Grass Man.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_133941.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	11223  
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #23
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
I was checking this thread and looking at my dinette slide and noticed the same darn thing! I've been over this RV countless times and never noticed. I ran a strip of t Rex tape along the whole strip on the bottom for now until I decide what to do. I'm in the same boat wintering in Florida. Wonder what the cause of the holes is. I counted four on each side and looking up I could definitely see screws in a few that I looked at carefully. Same year construction.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:37 AM   #24
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
Hi Andy,

Ya,
it is depressing seeing that!!! After reading pros and cons about the skis last night while scouring the net I am going to do the same. Tape it up and think about what to do with it. Here at Sunkissed RV Resort until end of March so I have some time. Let us know what you come up with and I will do the same.

GM
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #25
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Will do! I'm thinking I'll pop some silicone in the holes to fill in the wood area (It's dry here so there wasn't any dampness I can feel). I'm more concerned with why the holes in the darco were there to begin with, or if there is supposed to be something in them.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #26
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
Will do! I'm thinking I'll pop some silicone in the holes to fill in the wood area (It's dry here so there wasn't any dampness I can feel). I'm more concerned with why the holes in the darco were there to begin with, or if there is supposed to be something in them.
I'm pretty sure that's where they screw the floor to the walls.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #27
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I really don't have the option to try tape. I travel about 82-90 days during the summer and move on around 35-45 times. That means I would have to tape up that often, which I don't want to do.
So grass man, I wouldn't worry about the wear running the slides in and out twice a year. I have > 60,000 miles so far and 8 summers and I don't notice wear, except on one edge of the darco. It isn't very much worn out but I am thinking of fixing it somehow.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote