Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
donaldrr

M.O.C. #10444
Going to VA

Well this is my first post. We live in New Mexico and are planning A trip to VA in April & May. We need some help going on the Blue Ridge parkway. Getting on at Asheville and off close to Bedford. We are traveling in a 2008 F250 and a 2010 Montana 3400RL. thanks, we'll see how this works

donaldrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Welcome to the Forum!! We have not traveled Blue Ridge w/Monty but know that others here have. It will be a slow and very pretty drive that time of year. Others will be along re. overhead clearances/bridges, etc. Check this site. Looks like no problemo!
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=87
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Prior to my eastern US trip last year, I investigated the BRP and determined it is a "NOT ONLY NO BUT HELL NO" towing my 13'6" Monty or it would be 3' shorter than when I started. Perhaps you can setup camp and travel the route in sections without the Monty.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We have traveled the entire parkway several times(not with Montana) and it is a beautiful drive. You should not have any problems but it is a very very slow trip and most of the campgrounds won't be able to handle the Monty. There are numerous private campgrounds along the parkway at the exits and there are a few on the parkway in North Carolina.
Make sure you check the tunnel and bridge heights on their website but I think the lowest ones are between Asheville and Cherokee NC.
Have a safe trip
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
donaldrr

M.O.C. #10444
Thanks for all the posts. We ave a neice that lives in Chesterfield. My family started the town of Ruckersville and my grandmother was born in Bedford, so you can see we will have a lot to do in VA. As far as pulling the Monty up the Blue Ridge, it might have to wait.
donaldrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Our son just moved to Ruckersville. we stayed at a nice campground just north of Standardsville when we were there at Christmas, Heavenly acres. it is about the only one around there. It was a nice place, quiet and the owner is really nice.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Check out this web site for Blue Ridge Tunnel Clearances

There are a few tunnels that I think you will have to have the rangers close so you can travel the center line. Call them and ask. There are a few roads off of the BR that you do not want to take the Monty. Some are marked. Note the paragraph at the top of the page that states clearances can vary 1 to 6 inches depending on road condition.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Wayne,
Question, have you towed your Monty down or up the BRP. If so where did you start and finish. Am interested since I didn't think it possible and will be at the rally so if possible, why not.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I live about 10 miles from the parkway. I'm on it dozens of times a year. I'm not aware of a single tunnel that you would even give a first thought to let alone a second thought. They are 2 lanes wide plus about 10 extra feet on both sides of the road and a complete half round oval. If you stood on top of your camper you couldn't reach the top. You will won't to drive slow. That is how you drive the parkway. Plan to stop often, say every few miles. It's a winding road thats the beauty of it. It is the most beautiful road I have ever been on by a large margin. Go for it you WILL love it, just go slow enjoy it.
It's a road that every body that travels should see. It's the most visited national park, but it is never crowded.
Do you get the idea that I love our Parkway?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
No, I never ran the BRP with the Monty, nor the SOB, but the SOB is only 12' 4" so I should be alright.

Looking at the link I posted above, there are a couple tunnels where the outside line is lower tha a typical Monty roof. Yes, the tunnel is travel-able based on the center line height, but you may need to have traffic stopped coming the other way. This is something that I have also heard discussed on other RV forums regarding the park rangers having to stop traffic. If I were going to travel the BRP I would give the ranger headquarters a call and check. The statement on their web site that the tunnel heights can be 1 to 6 inches off would be a big concern for me. Sometimes on a two lane road you have to crowd the outside line. Consider to RV traveling through a tunnel with a 11' height at the outside line. Some one is going to scrape if they can't ride the center line.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
None of these low clearance tunnels are on the Parkway are between Asheville and Bedford. Plan on seeing the Builtmore in Asheville. Plan on about 2 days there. Then ease down the Parkway. You wouldn't go running through a museum screaming' I've seen it' and you wouldn't drive fast on the Parkway. It's a museum to. Its the best way to see the oldest mountain chain in the world, the Blueridge mountains.
Lynwood
Old 02-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Lynwood I also have traveled it many times with everything from a motorcycle to a rv and you and I have the same opinion. Could be one of the top 5 most beautiful places in the U.S. if traveled in oct. JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks Bobby
How about If travled anytime.
Lynwood
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
well I see its 290 miles. We havn't been on that pkwy but have been on my secondary rds near there.It looks like it would be a nice sloooow dive. I 'd fine out if large trucks go on that road to cut the trees for clearance. We were West of tere going to Bristol,tn and lost our vent cap over bathroom. You'll find out those mts are higher and steeper than you would think. That is very nice place to visit. Save trip Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
In all places I know of on the parkway there is a gassy roadside with no tree limbs to harm your camper. There are NO large trucks on the blue ridge parkway. No commercial vehicles allowed.
Lymwood