Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #61
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
OMG that is a nightmare Lee-Ci. Were you able to get it fixed in a timely manner and continue on?

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:26 PM   #62
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Bartley nightmare trip. My wife and I, and another couple who own a GD Reflection went to Paso Robles on Thursday the 1st. We stayed again at the Sun Country Cava RV resort, which is gorgeous. Had a great time. On Monday morning the 5th. we packed up. I went to raise the front of the Montana to help with emptying the black tank, and nothing happened when I hit the Lippert control button. I tried manual mode, and still nothing. I checked all the fuses, the voltage on my two 12V batteries, and all was perfect. Being a holiday, nothing was open, and I couldn't get an RV tech to respond. With the limited tools I had with me, I pulled the hydraulic pump motor out and it smelled burnt. I put it directly to 12V and it would not spin. Looking on my phone, I found a local RV dealership open (Sky River RV). I grabbed the burned out motor and we responded there. The staff was super nice, but told us the parts department was closed, due to the holiday. A staff member put me on the phone with a relative, who does RV repair, and he confirmed with me that my motor was burned out. My wife and I booked another night at the resort, and my wife had to book a substitute teacher to take her 4th grade class on Tuesday. Tuesday morning came and we went back to Sky River RV's to order a new motor. We learned there were only 6 of these Lippert motors in California and the soonest we could get one was the next day (Wednesday). We ordered the motor ($1,755.42). My wife and I went back, booked another night and she got another substitute for Wed. Wednesday morning came, and we got the call the motor had come in. Picked up the new motor, I tested it to 12V and it spun (Yayyy). I installed the motor and hit the button.........nothing. By this time, I'm ready to burn my Montana to the ground. I contacted Sky River RV and they put me in touch with a mobile RV tech (Great Dane RV) operated by the owner (Lynn Stokes). By this time on Wednesday it's about 3 pm. I called Lynn, who was just getting ready to crack a beer and go in the pool. Lynn dropped everything and responded to help us out. Lynn arrived and asked about the new motor and if I had spun it. I said yes. What I didn't realize, is what he really was asking is if I spun the motor with it in the pump, which I didn't. Lynn quickly realized the pump solenoid was burned out. Together we responded to Sky River RV and picked up a new solenoid, which they had in stock ($176.98. We came back, Lynn put in the new solenoid, and we tried the unit. Upon hitting the Lippert control, the new motor started smoking (Not Good). Lynn then put his cordless drill on top of the motor to spin the motor and pump together and nothing happened. The pump was completely broken and frozen up. This is what caused the original motor and solenoid to burn out. Lynn then said we need a new pump and it comes together as a complete unit (pump/motor/solenoid) It's now late Wednesday afternoon. Looking on my phone (left the laptop at home....never again), I found a rebuilt 7 quart Lippert pump assembly from Etrailer. I called Etrailer and ordered the new pump ($1,644.86). My wife and I booked another night, and she got another substitute. Friday morning came and the new pump arrived at Lynn's home by 0930. Lynn responded, installed the pump and wellahh.........it worked. Anika and I made it home Friday evening by 7 pm. With or without the trailer we had to be home, because we had a family funeral to attend on Saturday morning. All in all, this was an expensive nightmare, but we made the most of it and enjoyed our additional time together. I can not say enough good things about Sky River RV and Lynn Stokes. We made new friends with them and by the way, Sky River RV carries a great selection of new Montanas and other trailers. If any of you ever have a pump failure, by the complete unit. The unit comes already assembled (pump/motor & solenoid) all mounted on a painted steel plate. I asked if the system needs to be bled, and Lynn told me "No" and that the system is designed to automatically bleed the air out of the system. I'm hoping to recoup some of my funds, through my warranty with Easy Care. A claim with them has already started. Not counting food for the additional days, or the 4 days my wife had to burn for days off, this little nightmare for parts, labor and RV resort cost us $4,500.00. Happy RV'n everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2364.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	13055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2432.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	13056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2435.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	13057  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
Old 09-11-2022, 06:56 PM   #63
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
OMG that is a nightmare Lee-Ci. Were you able to get it fixed in a timely manner and continue on?
I'm currently doing a three week hitch of 12 hour days offshore, so no - nothing has been done on the MHC other that pulling the hub and knocking out the lug studs and repacking the bearings. Miss Edith is coordinating the repairs with RV Station of Tyler, TX and Keystone. Looks like parts involved will be 1 wheel, 1 wheel center cap, 8 studs, 8 lug nuts, plus dust cap and plug for the end of the axle hub. I already have another 24 lug studs being shipped to the house for when I get home. I'll update the group when all the dust settles.

Man I am so sorry to hear about your hydraulic pump / motor / solenoid issues. Fingers crossed your insurance will come through for you. I know that doesn't help much as far as a week's worth of lost wages for your wife. At least you guys are back on the road and happy campers once more. Safe travels!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #64
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Thanks Lee-Ci. I know what a pain it is to replace the studs. I had an America Tire store break 2 on my diesel truck, when I use to have them rotate my tires. Snapped them right off with their over-powered air powered impact wrench. They just said, "Oh Well" and left me to deal with it. I now do all my own rotations.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:33 PM   #65
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Update:
Keystone is sending out a new hub, two new wheels and tires, associated lug nuts and such with a RV Ranch tech for replacement. They want both wheels and tires replaced since one of them obviously took the full load on the ODS of the fiver. Wish I was home because I'd rather do the work myself. They made a comment to the wife about "loose lug nuts". Those folks obviously don't know me and my OCD nature. LOL I don't care, so long as the repairs are accomplished correctly. Keystone wants all the old parts sent back to them for evaluation. At such time anyone with half an eye will see that nothing was wallowed out on the six lug studs that flat out snapped off. The two remaining studs did wallow their associated holes a wee bit due to only having two studs trying to hold the wheel before the nuts could not possibly hold on any longer. Will update again when I'm back home and all is accomplished. As stated before, first thing I'll do before we head out again is to replace the remaining 24 lug studs and nuts.
Happy camping everyone!
Old 09-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #66
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Good to hear Keystone is stepping up
Old 09-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #67
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I was just getting the rig ready to take it to the dealership for some repairs. I was on the roof blowing some leaves off the slides so I could retract them when I noticed a high spot on in the luau seam. Roughly center of the trailer where two roof panels join, one of the panels is higher then the other. When I step on it, it sets level. About 1/4" I've been down this road with my last trailer.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:30 PM   #68
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojocky View Post
On my last trip upon pushing out the slides I ripped off a cabinet door. I have read many times about this happening but my cabinet doors never seemed to open up while traveling. i bought a new door hinge and installed magnetic child safety latches to the cabinet doors near the slide out.
Check the frame of the slide. We had the same problem as you. Slide took the door off its hinges, it also severely bent the two inch square tube that supports the slide. Door went back on without problem, was more serious straightening the steel.
whiterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #69
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
3791rd.
Bathroom mirror fell off the wall. Held in place with two sided tape and nails about the size on pins.
Front side of bedroom slide came out about 10”, rear side remained tight against wall. Have previously had two replacement motors in this position.
Many other problems.
This was our fourth and last Montana, two days later traded in for a Columbus.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #70
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
maybe?

The first sentence of the last paragraph of post 43 about the studs

"Since I check all the lugs with a torque wrench on all tires prior to each leg of a trip - even short trips - this one baffles me."

This statement means nothing and isn`t going to lead you to any answers. Are you the last one that put this tire on and torqued it? Or someone else? Remember when people check lug nut torque it will click at the desired torque wrench setting and you will stop....right? If the lug nut is torqued far far beyond it`s rating you will never know this as you have stopped checking the torque of the nut.. The only way to tell is if you use your torque wrench to loosen the nut first and only some really expensive torque wrenches are made to do this. A 1/2 inch grade 8 lug nut stud can take up to 400 lbs of torque before it breaks. well with in an air powered impact wrench's power.
I posed this to a engineer type friend of mine and he suspects the stud was over torqued right to the point of failure and stretched the stud, and when put in use it took some time, but failure was caused by bumps, potholes, bridge expansion joints or the like that put the studs over the edge and broke one at a time till the wheel came off. So the guy that put your tires on the first time could have over tightened this wheel and realized it, loosened it back up and then torqued it correctly, but the damage was done studs were stretched and now useless.
Really over thinking this I know LoL, Oh well off to the Hershey Rv show to see if I can talk the wife nto a new camper, we`ll see. Good luck with the answer as people are following this.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:48 PM   #71
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Update on the roof luan. I dropped her off at the dealer today. I was afraid of this but apparently there is no easy fix. Remove everything, Screw down luan and replace TPO.....
Old 09-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #72
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Update on the roof luan. I dropped her off at the dealer today. I was afraid of this but apparently there is no easy fix. Remove everything, Screw down luan and replace TPO.....
Good grief Tony! Look - If we've got some sort of competition going on that I'm unaware of, lets knock it off!

Good luck and let us know how you come out.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #73
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Re: Maybe?

bshtgo
Could not agree with you more. To be honest, getting the repairs done is merely secondary in nature to me. In my line of work I have to look at causal affects in lieu of merely repairs. Had one of the DS wheels departed the coach instead of the ODS wheel, well - I personally shudder to think of the possible outcome while traveling on a two lane road @ 60mph with oncoming traffic. I'm sure everyone can see my concern. This is why I'm giving everyone here my word that every lug stud and lug nut on the fiver will be replaced. I can't risk meeting one of my fellow MOC family on a rural highway and have the same scenario rear it's ugly head again.
Will let everyone know when all repairs are addressed. In the mean time, happy camping everyone and safe travels!
Old 09-15-2022, 08:16 AM   #74
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Good grief Tony! Look - If we've got some sort of competition going on that I'm unaware of, lets knock it off!

Good luck and let us know how you come out.
Yours takes takes first prize! Glad it turned out as well as it did. Could have been really bad. As far as my roof, if you can believe it this is the second Keystone in 3 years of mine that this has happened to. What are the chances?
Old 09-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #75
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post

Tony, on your new 22 they have to pull the entire roof off and redo it?
Old 09-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #76
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Tony, on your new 22 they have to pull the entire roof off and redo it?
Yes. The roof is glued the the luan so they can't just peal it back.
Old 09-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #77
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Santa arrived - Thank you Keystone

Well it's a wee bit early, but evidently Santa arrived early this year. Looks like I'll have about a full day of work ahead of me once I get back home next week, as I'll be tearing down both sides of the fiver to get all the lug studs replaced. Keystone sent the parts to my residence instead of to the selling dealer. To be honest, I'm a goofball I guess and actually enjoy doing this sort of work. I'm OCD and always leary when it comes to the work done by others. For the the few that are harsh on Keystone and Montana, the old saying is that one catches more flies with honey than they do vinegar. Keystone really stepped up and want to publicly thank them for doing so... Now I'm like an excited kid waiting to get back home for Christmas day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220919-WA0005[1].jpg
Views:	12
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	13161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220919-WA0004[1].jpg
Views:	9
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	13162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220919-WA0002[1].jpg
Views:	9
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	13163  
Old 09-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #78
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Merry Christmas! Every once in a while you get a surprise.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #79
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I'm like you Lee, I like doing stuff like that. Hope you got all the parts you need, and the installation goes as planned. On my nightmare, it looks like Easy Care is taking care of $2,000.00 of my bill, which I'm thankful for.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #80
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Robert - I'm very glad that Easy Care is stepping up to help foot the bill. Know between parts and lost wages the outcome was much more than the reimbursement. Looking forward to being back on the road for another outing on the 29th. Two hour trip up in Arkansas for testing purposes.