Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Ebikes

Wasn't sure where to place this string ... Looking for input on what devices you ebike people might use to lock up your bikes in the campsite when not riding. Got two Lectic bikes on order.

Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
rvman
Established Member

M.O.C. #23128
We use this lock from Kryptonite:
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/pr...l?type=bicycle

Over 5ft long so can easily be wrapped through two bikes and around a post, picnic table or bike rack on trailer.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:01 AM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post

Over 5ft long so can easily be wrapped through two bikes and around a post, picnic table or bike rack on trailer.
appreciated
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:09 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Kryptonite is a great lock. I got these off Amazon for a bit cheaper though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #5
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
We have an Onguard U-lock and a Kryptonite chain lock and a Schlage 12mm covered chain with a ring. We use the chain looped thru its ring around the jack and lock the bikes together (with Krypto chain lock) and to the chain (with Onguard U-lock). Would have preferred keyed alike U-lock and chain lock but supply chain issues at time made them hard to come by. This combo gives us each a lock we can use if going separately (we leave the Schlage chain at the rig).

Search Lock picking lawyer for in depth bike chain reviews. Amazing how fast and prolific bike theives are...
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:55 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I got a 12' bicycle lock cable and a couple of kryptonite locks. We put the bikes under the 5er overhang and run the cable through the hitch. We have a large BBQ grill cover to cover them to keep the rain etc off. We also use the cable to lock them to the bed of the truck. They fold up and go under the tonneau cover when traveling.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have a cable lock I use when on the road. Have never locked my doors, ebikes or anything else while in an RV park. I occasionally lock while boondocking or if in a sketchy park for the night.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:04 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We also use the Kryptonite chain lock. We stay at a very nice RV resort in Florida for the winter, but unfortunately the surrounding neighbourhood is somewhat sketchy. Bike thefts are common in our park.

I belong to an RV group on Facebook and there was a thread about ebikes. SEVERAL people posted that their ebikes got stolen. These things are thief magnets. One person even had the bikes locked and covered, and still stolen.

We have never had a theft issue in the 45 years we’ve lived in our house, but we still lock and cover the bikes inside the garage. Why take chances?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:

We use the same chain and lock. We also have alarms on the bikes. Haven't had them stolen yet.
Joe

We use the same chain and lock. Haven't had our bikes stolen yet.
Joe
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:

We secure two ebikes to the bumper of the trailer with the Kryptonite lock.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:32 PM   #11
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
We use more then one lock on each bike. We use onguard, Kryptonite u bolt locks, and we have two folding locks as well. With e bikes it seems a longer u bolt lock is required then your standard locks since the bike frame is larger. We take our batteries out when not is use and then lock them up to the picnic table and then use 3-4 locks. The wheels with the electric motors are always secured to something or another wheel with a motor. If they want to steal it they can for parts only, but it will cost them about $1500 to make it operable.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #12
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
We have a cable type lock and keep the bikes underneath the front under the 5th wheel part, and run the cable around the hyd leveling jack. And ran an extention cord from the
underneath storage to the battery box door, to be able to plug them in and keep them fully charged I also ran a cord to both propane doors. It's nice to not have to chase for power or unplug one thing to plug in another or have to fight with long extention cords.
Wellplayedsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Wasn't sure where to place this string ... Looking for input on what devices you ebike people might use to lock up your bikes in the campsite when not riding. Got two Lectic bikes on order.
Almost impossible to stop a determined thief, but if they are the folding type as most RVers have, just put in the back seat area unless you have kids or dogs and then good luck.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
I have a couple locks. First a U lock to go through frame and rear wheel and a cabLe lock to go through front wheel and U lock. However usually at night our when we leave
camp I roll it back into the toy hauler space and lock the door
Old 07-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #15
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I think you all might be surprised at just how easily some of these locks are either cut or overcome by thieves. There are some amazing videos on the web about this subject I came across while researching for locks for our e-bikes. One take away that resonated with me is that if thieves want your item bad enough they will overcome the lock. I came to the conclusion that I didn’t have to find the perfect lock I just needed a lock or locks that were more of a PITA than the next guy. I hope whatever choices you make your lock keeps your bikes safe. I went with ABUS Granite Extreme U-lock and a 4K chain that were intended for motorcycles. Wasn’t the most inexpensive option but accomplished my primary goal.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #16
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
I think you all might be surprised at just how easily some of these locks are either cut or overcome by thieves. There are some amazing videos on the web about this subject I came across while researching for locks for our e-bikes. One take away that resonated with me is that if thieves want your item bad enough they will overcome the lock. I came to the conclusion that I didn’t have to find the perfect lock I just needed a lock or locks that were more of a PITA than the next guy. I hope whatever choices you make your lock keeps your bikes safe. I went with ABUS Granite Extreme U-lock and a 4K chain that were intended for motorcycles. Wasn’t the most inexpensive option but accomplished my primary goal.
I watched those same videos and I thought the more steel they have to go through the better. A high quality u bolt lock is thicker and requires two cuts compared to just one with a low end lock. I'm also hoping the thieves battery wont last when multiple cuts are required on multiple locks. Just recently on one trip I added apple air tags to the bikes. I guess have been a victim too many times over these past few years so Im hoping i can keep them from being stolen.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #17
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
And to cover them to keep the rain and dust off them, we got a large heavy duty BBQ grill cover.

BTW, if you are going somewhere near the ocean, EVERYTHING that isn't painted or sprayed with oil will RUST !!!
We spent winter in Key West Florida, by the time we left the bike chains were rusty. In fact looking around under the rig and under the truck, lots of rust.
We were told use Fluid Film (lanolin based spray on lubrication) is the best to use BEFORE you get here.
We got some and it was a big help. Cleaned off the rust and coated everything. No more rust.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:36 PM   #18
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
I always look at my neighbors. I make mine harder to steal than his.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #19
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
use a couple locks. as bums, kids, or just crooks. will take any bikes they can.
as most locks are very easily bypassed. all key and combo locks are pick-able.
some (locks, cable, chains) cut easier than even using the key for the lock.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote