Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #21
JMickulin

M.O.C. #28643
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Does your fridge has the option to run on gas? If so, it is not a residential fridge.
It does have the option to run gas, so it is not residential. I hooked those wires together and now I have shore power and everything seems to work fine. So do you think it is safe to run like that? I don't like the idea of the two different sizes of wire being hooked together but I dont see another option unless I figure out what inverter they were running.

JMickulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #22
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMickulin View Post
It does have the option to run gas, so it is not residential. I hooked those wires together and now I have shore power and everything seems to work fine. So do you think it is safe to run like that? I don't like the idea of the two different sizes of wire being hooked together but I dont see another option unless I figure out what inverter they were running.
Except for the split and small gauge wire, that is the way it came from the factory. I would remove the small gauge wire. Replace it with the proper size, put a junction box in and connect the two cables. Or, if the previous owner did not cut any of it out and it is still long enough, pull the bigger wire back up to the AC panel where is was originally connected. Third option, install a hard wire EMS between the two cables; but I would still replace the small gauge wire. The #10 wire is good for 55A; about half what the #6 wire is rated for.

Since there is no evidence of DC cabling (it would be quite large) I doubt that unit ever had an inverter. In any case, an inverter would not be put in line with the shore power; that is not how it works.

Something like this was probably installed.
https://tweetys.com/electrical-manag...caAo4AEALw_wcB

A little expensive; now you know why someone took it out.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #23
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
Been there done that. I ALWAYS install a surge device/ power monitor on my rigs. And I always take and move it to the next rig when I trade/sell. BUT, I would NEVER trade/sell a rig without restoring it to it's original working condition. LIKEWISE, I would never drive off with a rig that was not wired and working properly. When I was a newbie I enlisted professional help. If the rig came from a dealer like that, there would be a lawsuit.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #24
Calbrewguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24836
My 2016 HC has the residential fridge
Calbrewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #25
Boondockboomer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28754
So most likely your inverter was a CSW 1012 before they removed it. In front of the inverter should also have been a CSW transfer switch which those three wires were connected to, and then directly plugged into inverter.
So to reverse that, you have your battery that connects to a 150 amp fuse, then disconnect switch then up to the positive negative of the inverter. On the opposite end of inverter would the transfer switch that comes from your panel which also houses a progressive converter as part of the panel. At least that’s how most of them work.
Boondockboomer is offline   Reply With Quote