Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #21
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
In our old truck, I could barely see the top plate of the hitch, but I couldn't see the cutout. Over time, I learned where to put the base plate on the 5er with regards to the hitch, and could hit it almost every time.

MM mentioned it above, but the new trucks with the cameras above the bed are really the bomb, and they spoil you in a hurry for sure. I new truck has one of those, and now knowing EXACTLY what is going on is much much easier.

In the end, though, it's really all about practice. The more you hitch, the better you get at, or you find little tricks to make it easier. Be patient, you'll get there...
Probably the fifth or sixth time I hitched up with my new truck I discovered the button to press to get the roof view camera to come on. It was an unbelievable view of my king pin and fifth wheel plate, along with a line drawn in between them! Now if I can just keep remembering to use this feature I'll be happy.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #22
kcjolley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9226
viewing hitch

I put apiece of pin stripping tape on the rear window. It lines up with the center of the hitch works great
kcjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #23
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
My generator in the back of the truck blocks my view of my 5th wheel entirely so I put a magnetic pickup tool at the front center of the 5th wheel plate. Works like a charm.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #24
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
My preferred hitching method

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I do this a little different. Your rear view mirror and the small slider window are in the center of your truck. Look in the rear view mirror and place your camper hitch in the center of your rear view mirror. Your camper hitch will be lined up with the hitch in the bed of your truck. As you get close make sure the camper is the right height and back up until it hitches. So you don’t need to see the hitch.
Lynwood

I'm driving my 5th F350 (2020) and have used Lynwood's method to line up with the pin box. You can also use the back seat head rests in lieu of the slider window as well. It's kinda like using a gun sight to lead you your target.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #25
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
I can see my hitch so not a problem lining up. In regards to having it the right height I have a small bubble level screwed to the inside of the door my switch is in. When I raise the 5er to the point needed to unhitch I set that bubble so that it's level. Then when I'm ready to hitch up I just raise to that level back into the pin and I'm hooked

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Who ever is not driving gets out and uses hand signals line the truck up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #27
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I saw another camper who had put a 1" stripe on the pin box at the center of the pin and one on the top of the hitch with reflective tape of some sort.
I put white tape on the front center of my pin box as well as the hitch. I also have an short aluminum storage box between the hitch and tailgate. Put a dark color tape on top of box. Simply align hitch pin with tape on box, make sure the other tape lines up and I'm good!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #28
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
EWAY WiFi Magnetic Hitch Wireless Backup Rear/Front View Camera Rechargeable Battery for Easy Hitching of Gooseneck Horse Boat Travel Trailer/Fifth Wheels/RV/Camper Reverse for iPhone iPad Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7976P7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7ZTD8A0CTD5K9Q12C1CS?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #29
Sumri
Established Member

M.O.C. #24654
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
My generator in the back of the truck blocks my view of my 5th wheel entirely so I put a magnetic pickup tool at the front center of the 5th wheel plate. Works like a charm.

Also put reflective tape straight down the middle of your pin box. Line up the magnetic pickup tool to the middle of the reflective tape and you hitch up first time ,every time.
Sumri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #30
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem and sure someone has developed a simple method to remedy the situation.

I have a 2019 F-350 4x4 XLT short bed truck pulling a 2020 Montana 3121RL. Having a difficult time seeing the hitch and lining up the hitch pin to the jaws. Has anyone came up with a better idea than getting it close and then going back and looking several times to make sure the hitch jaws and the hitch pin are lined up correctly? I just cannot turn around and see it that good while sitting behind the wheel and backing up!! Guess I'm getting older plus my eye sight is not as good as it once was!!

Take the center headrest out and put it behind the seat. Then you'll be able to see your hitch and pin box.
I had the same problem.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #31
Spike
Established Member

M.O.C. #26885
I had a similar problem because my Tonneau cover. Did not unfold enough where I can see my fifth wheel. I put a piece of orange duct tape on the pin box as well as on the part of the Tano cover I could see. That said since then I have got a fifth wheel tailgate and just aimed directly in the middle of it
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #32
Clark Anklam
Established Member

M.O.C. #23192
Ford F350 crew cab

Does your truck have a tailgate camera? If so, lay a piece of orange surveyers tape or a long extension pole on the ground extending from tje front of the front cargo door to abour 5 feet past from of kingpin, centering it from side to side. You'll be able to see the marker on the ground with the camera and stay centered. Once you know one time when the pin hits the hitch you'll know how far under the kingpin to put your marker.
Clark Anklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #33
Willjim
Established Member

M.O.C. #26306
Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem and sure someone has developed a simple method to remedy the situation.

I have a 2019 F-350 4x4 XLT short bed truck pulling a 2020 Montana 3121RL. Having a difficult time seeing the hitch and lining up the hitch pin to the jaws. Has anyone came up with a better idea than getting it close and then going back and looking several times to make sure the hitch jaws and the hitch pin are lined up correctly? I just cannot turn around and see it that good while sitting behind the wheel and backing up!! Guess I'm getting older plus my eye sight is not as good as it once was!!
I have a 2017 F350 SRW Lariat. I only had a factory backup camera on my tailgate so I had a local accessory shop install a camera under my cargo light. It works great I can see my fifthwheel hitch perfectly fine with no problems. I think you can get a monitor for the cab if you don’t have a factory camera installed.
Willjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #34
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:

I just look in the trucks rear view mirror and watch the hitch and pin in the mirror on the front of the trailer (I think they are on all Montana's). The only thing I don't like with that arrangement is the pin has to be fairly close to see it in the mirror and I can't correct fast enough.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #35
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
I posted a solution a few years back when I had the same problem. My solution was a backup camera (7")(5" to small) attached to my visor. I attached a wireless 12v camera to my cargo bed light. I put a white stripe on my Hitch and rig. When backing up, I plug in my screen, turn on my cargo light camera. I have a clear view into my deck and hitch. I bought the camera and screen at Amazon. I has worked excellent. Hope this could help you
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #36
MCJones

M.O.C. #26378
There is no fool proof way I say:

I have a great bed camera (Ford F350with ultimate camera opt.) which does allow me to get lined up well. I have a wife who does her best but I am in charge of a mishap so.... when I think I am close, I get out and check it all out. First thing I'm checking is the alignment (with the camera I'm usually right on). More importantly I'm looking for hitch height to be correct. I just have to get out and check things for myself. jmo mark
Old 04-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #37
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
not always the best idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Who ever is not driving gets out and uses hand signals line the truck up.
We were traveling with some people. My wife decided to have my cousin back me up. I showed him the hand signals that I liked. Backing up and looking in the mirror, I saw this person flailing around like one of the blow up characters you see in front of stores. . I had my wife do it. Then put in my back up camera for the deck
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #38
RETCHIEF
Established Member

M.O.C. #23886
EyeBall

I bought a magnetic mounted video camera and place it where it shows me my alignment. It has a small monitor for the cab. It was on Amazon and is called EyeBall
I also put a strip of reflective tape at the right spot to help make it easier to see. That handles forward and reverse. I have a magnetic rod to mark right and left. One person hook up is a breeze.
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #39
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
I can see where more attention is needed if coming into it at an angle. But otherwise if you have the truck centered on the trailer using both side mirrors it should line up fine. This is the way I hitch up my bumper pull car trailer by myself. Do I have to get out sometimes to check? Of course but usually not more than twice and that's for having the ball directly under the coupler

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #40
Rdt1012@att.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #21758
Cheap solution that works for me every time

Place plastic water bottle in hitch and guide it to center of
Kingpin.
Rdt1012@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote