Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #101
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Maybe that's why you haven't had a problem - you didn't baby them. Maybe regular trips down the road is better for them than sitting in one spot? We used to have a Starcraft Folddown back in the 1970-1980's. We'd take a 2-3 week summer trip in it and then it sat in the garage for 11 1/2 months. We'd throw the entire tread cap off of each tire in the first 1000 miles the following year. It may have been because the tires developed a flat spot sitting that long.

whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #102
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
I can only speak of my own experience with the GY Endurance. I have somewhere close to 10K on mine without any problems. Last year we did a 7600 mile 33 day trip to the PNW with a couple of 800 mi days thrown in, so they haven't been babied
I don't think the issue is with the lighter fifth wheels, the subject is like the OP's fifth wheel.

You have an older fifth wheel with 6K axles I would think ?? Probably what 12-13K GVWR. Not a fifth wheel thats nearing 17K GVWR.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #103
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I don't think the issue is with the lighter fifth wheels, the subject is like the OP's fifth wheel.

You have an older fifth wheel with 6K axles I would think ?? Probably what 12-13K GVWR. Not a fifth wheel thats nearing 17K GVWR.
A little Saturday morning research.

According to the figures in the Keystone brochure for the year and model in the OP description, indicates it has 5000# axles.

If Keystone stuck firm to their tire fitment policies for that time frame, the OE tires would have been ST225/75R15D. If the OP is using ST225/75R15E tires they provide more load capacity than the minimum recommendation by RVIA for newer RV trailer tires.

All RV trailer OE tires are required to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the trailer's certified GAWRs. For newer trailers the RVIA load capacity reserves will add 10% load capacity above the certified GAWRs.

Tire industry standards require any replacement tires to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires provided, via inflation pressures.

That's the way it's supposed to work. Any selections with less than those minimum requirements are a safety violation. With few exceptions, replacement tires with a designated size that differs from the OE tire designated size is a misapplication.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/104...ochure.pdf.pdf
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #104
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post

According to the figures in the Keystone brochure for the year and model in the OP description, indicates it has 5000# axles.

If Keystone stuck firm to their tire fitment policies for that time frame, the OE tires would have been ST225/75R15D. If the OP is using ST225/75R15E tires they provide more load capacity than the minimum recommendation by RVIA for newer RV trailer tires.

All RV trailer OE tires are required to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the trailer's certified GAWRs. For newer trailers the RVIA load capacity reserves will add 10% load capacity above the certified GAWRs.

Tire industry standards require any replacement tires to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the OE tires provided, via inflation pressures.

That's the way it's supposed to work. Any selections with less than those minimum requirements are a safety violation. With few exceptions, replacement tires with a designated size that differs from the OE tire designated size is a misapplication.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. In the OP opening post he States a 2018 unit with 16 in tires
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #105
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Everybody ought to use whatever tire they wish or whatever their buddy uses and if it takes the side off their camper maybe their buddy will help them fix it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:48 PM   #106
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Now I'm thoroughly confused. In the OP opening post he States a 2018 unit with 16 in tires
Sorry. I was answering PSFORD99's post that was referring to a post by HORNET28.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #107
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Which fifth wheel are you referring too. The OP has a 2018 358BH Montana High Country . I too am little confused about what fifth wheel we are talking about .
Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #108
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Which fifth wheel are you referring too. The OP has a 2018 358BH Montana High Country . I too am little confused about what fifth wheel we are talking about .
Hornets, the one in the reference.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #109
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Hornets, the one in the reference.
The confusion was you said OP , Hornet is not the OP.

The point was he is not comparing anywhere close to what the weigh involved with the OP, as said the Endurance does not belong in this discussion . Comparing two totally different weights ,and fifth wheels .
Old 08-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #110
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
The confusion was you said OP , Hornet is not the OP.

The point was he is not comparing anywhere close to what the weigh involved with the OP, as said the Endurance does not belong in this discussion . Comparing two totally different weights ,and fifth wheels .
Just a misread. When you misquoted most of the information about HORNET28s trailer I went and found a reference for his trailer. I should have referenced it as HORNET28 instead of OP.

The original OP (MIKEFF) changed his subject from trailer to truck. His replacement tire selection for his trailer is still a mystery. He never established the use of his GY Endurance tires. IMO his trailer may have been equipped with ST235/80R16 LRE tires with a maximum load capacity of 3520# at 80 PSI. The GY endurance of the same designated size provides a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 PSI. Therefore they do not qualify as replacements.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #111
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Just a misread. When you misquoted most of the information about HORNET28s trailer I went and found a reference for his trailer. I should have referenced it as HORNET28 instead of OP.

The original OP (MIKEFF) changed his subject from trailer to truck. His replacement tire selection for his trailer is still a mystery. He never established the use of his GY Endurance tires. IMO his trailer may have been equipped with ST235/80R16 LRE tires with a maximum load capacity of 3520# at 80 PSI. The GY endurance of the same designated size provides a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 PSI. Therefore they do not qualify as replacements.
Without reading all the posts again, the OP originally replaced all of his tires with the endurance. Many of us suggested they're not up to the task of a heavy 5er. He has since removed them and replaced them with the Sailun s637 G-rated 14 ply tires
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #112
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Without reading all the posts again, the OP originally replaced all of his tires with the endurance. Many of us suggested they're not up to the task of a heavy 5er. He has since removed them and replaced them with the Sailun s637 G-rated 14 ply tires
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 thumb.png
Views:	34
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	7087

I'm all done with this one.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #113
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:

If your thought of his trailer coming with max tire capacity of 3520# is correct then if he'd gone to the Endurance 235/85x16 the capacity would've been 3640# which is what I'm running on mine. I do agree that load capacity should be at least matched with the GVWR of the trailer and better to exceed it.

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #114
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
In accordance with RV trailer regulations, the minimum load capacity for the Original Equipment tires MUST equal or be greater (via inflation) than the vehicle certified GAWR (s). Therefore, all replacement tires MUST have a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided.

Your Keystone owner’s manual will tell owners to look at the vehicle certification label for the required tire load capacity. It further informs the owner to look at the maximum load capacity of the OE tires to verify their maximum load capacity. That owner’s manual information is mandated by NHTSA to be included in the manual.

Many RV trailer owners read broad RV information sheets. Motorized RV tires must support the RV’s certified GVWR. Trailer manufacturers get to set a recommended tongue weight for all trailers they build. That tongue weight is deducted from the trailer’s GVWR to establish minimum GAWR certifications which they also set.

Without an option offered by the vehicle manufacturer, the OE tire designated size must be maintained. A ST235/80R16 is a designated size. That tire's designated tire size does not change with the addition of a higher load capacity letter. That extra load capacity is just providing load capacity reserves.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #115
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
I understand. You wouldn't go from 235/80 to 235/85 because your one of those who has to do exactly what the book says not more.

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #116
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I’m new to this forum , like just signed up two days ago so, I haven’t had the pleasure of reading all the threads about the tires. I did speak with my factory sales rep for Montana today. He was FAR more helpful than anyone in customer service. Keystone has upgraded the tires on their newer units. Not sure when that happened but the 2020 High Country units now come with F rated tires, the Montana units come with G rated tires. This is due to the new RIVA specs. All that said I need to verify my rims are good for 110 psi. If they are, I’m sure they will take a G rated tire, and will verify that as well. Wish I had signed up to the forum earlier. Could have avoided this mistake but went with the info on the rig and thinking I went with a better tire than what I had, which I did, just not the right one.
my 2021 montan high country #385br came with Rainier tires 235/80r16 and a load range -"F"

still i will in one year switch to Sailuns.....my neighbor had a blowout on his 5th and it took $1500 t5o repair..chieper to lick your wounds and go with new tires that give you a LOAD CUSHON
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:39 PM   #117
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
my 2021 montan high country #385br came with Rainier tires 235/80r16 and a load range -"F"

still i will in one year switch to Sailuns.....my neighbor had a blowout on his 5th and it took $1500 t5o repair..chieper to lick your wounds and go with new tires that give you a LOAD CUSHON
You are probably ok with the factory tires, F rating, but when you replace go to the G rated. I’m sure your rims are 110psi rated as well. Look on the back of the wheel on the spokes. It should be stamped on the spoke. I have a 2018 358BH High Country and it came with E rated tires. I had a tire separate and stayed inflated and did some minor fixable damage. I got real lucky. Replaced them with the Sailun G rated tire. The very next thing you need is a TPMS for your current and future tires. If you start to have any tire issues the TPMS should give you some advance warning. Cheaper than thousands if dollars in damage. After I got my Sailuns, I got a TPMS system. Get the kind that allows for tire inflation without removing the sensor. Safe travels!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #118
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Anybody have any experience with TowMax tires. I can get a good buy on them. From what i understand they are used heavily on semi trailers. They are E load range.
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:59 PM   #119
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwengermt View Post
Anybody have any experience with TowMax tires. I can get a good buy on them. From what i understand they are used heavily on semi trailers. They are E load range.
load e is only a 10 ply tire.....that's fine when driving on the highway. But when you back up and slightly angle the trailer the sidewalls flex and that when you need the better tire

the new high country (mine )came with "Rainier" 235/80r16 load "F"

monday i will switch out to "Sailuns" with a load range of "G"

instead of a max weight (95lbs air ) of 3860 lbs. the new sailuns will take at
110lb air and a weight of 4080 lb each.

so for my 4 trailer tires i gain 880 lbs more of load.

not that i need that extra load....but with a 14 ply tire it will flex the sidewalls less on back up and turns.....giving me more of a safety margin and less tire wear/damage

NTB tires is charging me installed and BALANCED for 3 tires $551.25 ( i already have 1-sailun tire ) so each tire is 183.75 installed

a lot cheaper than repairing a blow out tire causing trailer damage or getting stuck on some highway in the middle of BumbleFuk
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #120
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwengermt View Post

You can’t get a good buy on Towmax. If they gave them away it’s too much. When one blows out and takes the side off your camper it could cost you thousands. Buy the Sailuns and you wont have a worry.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote