Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
Smile RV too big

We have a 3931FB and we are finding it very big to schlep around. I told dh if we stay in one place more than 2 nights it may not be such a big deal. Also we find we have to know where we are going and where we want to stay because at 41.6 feet spots are not easily available.
I see new 5ers are even bigger. So do we sell and go smaller or deal with it and hope campgrounds will come around to the bigger size RV's? We only used the unit once. I DO love having 2 bathrooms.
What is your take or experience with this?
We are not retired yet so time is of the essence, although we bought this figuring we would be retiring in a year and half.
Please discuss.

hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Finding where to park the large units is a negative. It just depends on where you want to camp. We lost availability even going from 32' to 36'. I wouldn't wait for rv parks to expand to accommodate larger rigs. Many were built before trailers got to be so big. Its all a matter of compromise no matter what size trailer one has.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
This is really a personal decision. If you believe it is bigger than you want to deal with after trying it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Lots of folks handle the 40+ ft rigs without issue.

Most campgrounds can handle 40+ ft unless you spend most of your time in state and national parks. If you rarely stay at a campground longer than a night or two smaller might be better.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
In my experience you have to know what you are getting into...and even then it can be iffy. At 41' your opportunity for running into "that" situation is more than a smaller trailer. On the other hand, for us, at 38', we deal with it. We want the room and the floorplan. It takes due diligence up front.

We travel quite a bit. I call every location personally, tell them the size of the rig and quiz them about the proposed site I will be in. Some parks are great and you can tell it by viewing it online; some are iffy. I can tell you that state and national parks will be pretty difficult for that size rig. And, even if you call, quiz, question you could end up like I have with them directing you to a grass area with your nose right into a neighboring unit and their flower pots or tell you "it's a short site but you can park in one of our parking spaces just across the street". Hmmm, she didn't mention that there were 5 spots and about 100 oil workers all trying to get them.

It seems to me that you picked the rv that you wanted. If so, I would try to use it unless you absolutely know you will be trying to get into small, tight parks a lot. If not, go with it, do your homework beforehand then deal with it as it comes. Of course, we travel to a destination and try to stay at least 2 weeks - 5 months. Try to figure out those future plans but I spent many a year in a trailer because I wanted easy/more access to secluded spots all the while thinking I wanted a larger trailer. After making the determination I would not go back to a smaller trailer again.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We are not full timers yet. We have no plans of ever dry camping or staying in (say) a national park with small sites. We always stay in parks that can handle our rig. Our model has the front bath tub and DW loves it. We both appreciate the half bath. Probably the toughest part for us is finding places to eat while traveling - that has a parking lot or place to park the thing. Literally - that is the single down side for us. The closets and all the storage work well for us.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We haven't had any problem with our almost 40 ft rig. Anymore, you have to make reservations for most parks, and when looking at their web sites, they will tell you what length rigs they can take. For us, another foot or two wouldn't make any difference, and we've traveled across country back and forth, sometimes only staying overnight at each park, and once you're used to the setup and breakdown each day, the routine isn't any different from a smaller rig. I would recommend working with the rig for a while, otherwise you will take a beating on trading even a slightly used rig, as they instantly depreciate a bunch once driven off the dealer's lot.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A 30 foot with 3 slides would be perfect for me. I would like it with 2 nice recliners and no couch that we don’t use and a place for a washer and dryer. Yes I know dream on.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
A 30 foot with 3 slides would be perfect for me. I would like it with 2 nice recliners and no couch that we don’t use and a place for a washer and dryer. Yes I know dream on.
Lynwood

I think you bring up a very interesting point for the OP. After using an RV you start to hone in on what you like, dislike, what's important and what's not. Sometimes that "bigger is better" thought isn't really the best thing for some. Talked to some folks the other day that really wanted to get rid of their 35 fter. and go with something smaller with 1 slide. For me, a no go. For them? We all are looking for "it" for us; whatever "it" might be.

As far as sites getting bigger as they build new parks; don't bet on it. I'm here in FL at the moment. The park I'm in is expanding and they built a new one right down the highway. Walked the park with the new owner and to my surprise most would be very difficult for anything over maybe 30-32'. I told him and he was aware. He was more concerned about the aesthetics of the park and the trees. He had some sites you could get in to and some that would require relocation of the TV. 41' there would be a stretch. This park expansion was supposed to be with bigger rigs in mind; I'm not seeing it. As it progressed the owner has now tried to make more sites...not make them bigger and more accessible. In the end (it is just staked right now) I don't see how anyone is going to get a trailer over 30' in the "premium" sites unless you're pushing them sideways. So....I'm not holding my breath for those larger site campgrounds.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think you bring up a very interesting point for the OP. After using an RV you start to hone in on what you like, dislike, what's important and what's not. Sometimes that "bigger is better" thought isn't really the best thing for some. Talked to some folks the other day that really wanted to get rid of their 35 fter. and go with something smaller with 1 slide. For me, a no go. For them? We all are looking for "it" for us; whatever "it" might be.

As far as sites getting bigger as they build new parks; don't bet on it. I'm here in FL at the moment. The park I'm in is expanding and they built a new one right down the highway. Walked the park with the new owner and to my surprise most would be very difficult for anything over maybe 30-32'. I told him and he was aware. He was more concerned about the aesthetics of the park and the trees. He had some sites you could get in to and some that would require relocation of the TV. 41' there would be a stretch. This park expansion was supposed to be with bigger rigs in mind; I'm not seeing it. As it progressed the owner has now tried to make more sites...not make them bigger and more accessible. In the end (it is just staked right now) I don't see how anyone is going to get a trailer over 30' in the "premium" sites unless you're pushing them sideways. So....I'm not holding my breath for those larger site campgrounds.

The problem is nobody builds a premium Montana class camper. Someone would buy them if they were built. Not many but one manufacturer could sell enough to justify them. On the other hand they know their business better than I could ever know it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 5th wheel RV is 40 foot with 4 slides with the truck attached we are over 53 feet. It is not a problem. We tell G.G how long we are, how many slides and we want pull through, 50 amp, full hookups. We always get what we want. We are long timers that spend many months a year living in our RV and do a lot of road miles (although after 14 years we are slowing down) Rv'ing can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

To hitrd if you feel the RV is to big to deal with do get rid of it as it makes no sense to have something you are not happy with. We have had 2 Montana 5th wheels both 40 foot and change. We would have got bigger if they made one. When you live in one of these for long periods bigger is better.

I think the only FLorida CG we have stayed in was FT Augustine .I do not remember the name but we had pull through, 50 amp, full hookup. We purchased a lot in the HOA facility we were staying in last year in Davenport, FL. It is 40 wide by 70 deep but Helen does have to back the rig in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #11
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
At 39.5’ with an additional 2 feet for the trawler that rids on the cargo hitch I have yet to have issues getting into state parks in Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia and a whole swath of other states. I have always had good luck with COE campgrounds as well. The only issues I really have are finding sites that are full hook up. Sometimes I have to settle for 50 amp no water, sometimes 30amp full hook up. Otherwise if you take it slow, plan a little you’ll be fine.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We also have never had an issue getting a spot. Movement within the park to get to our site has been tricky on occasion.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Just tell the park it's shorter. They have compensated for very poor maneuver-ers. my title says 37' brochure said 37' - 10" my 100' tape says 39'- 10".. we tell them 36' never have an issue.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Just tell the park it's shorter. They have compensated for very poor maneuver-ers. my title says 37' brochure said 37' - 10" my 100' tape says 39'- 10".. we tell them 36' never have an issue.
I have done this at KOAs and a few other campgrounds with no ill results.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #15
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Based upon what everyone else has said. Sometimes the site has plenty of depth, Even if they say will fit x length the site is plenty deep enough. The problem lies in executing the backing of the rig. I have been at plenty of campgrounds where the site is spacious. However backing into it became the problem. Turning radius of pickups vs others.
Decorative stones, Other parked vehicles, Kids on bikes, Trees almost rubbing the front fender / bumper.
At one park I could not get into the site. Asked to change, Ok here is a new one. Worked out well. Talked to the owner the next day, he said I would of sent you down the road the opposite direction of the flow of traffic. Looking back that would of worked out so much better.
I like to find a site at the junction of two roads. There is generally more maneuvering room due to the extra space. This may be a solution for you outside of a pull through. Check with the campground first and foremost.
Happy camping and talk with the people before arrival. There may be an alternative.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We haven't had any problem with our almost 40 ft rig. Anymore, you have to make reservations for most parks, and when looking at their web sites, they will tell you what length rigs they can take. For us, another foot or two wouldn't make any difference, and we've traveled across country back and forth, sometimes only staying overnight at each park, and once you're used to the setup and breakdown each day, the routine isn't any different from a smaller rig. I would recommend working with the rig for a while, otherwise you will take a beating on trading even a slightly used rig, as they instantly depreciate a bunch once driven off the dealer's lot.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #16
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
We have a 3931FB and we are finding it very big to schlep around. I told dh if we stay in one place more than 2 nights it may not be such a big deal. Also we find we have to know where we are going and where we want to stay because at 41.6 feet spots are not easily available.
I see new 5ers are even bigger. So do we sell and go smaller or deal with it and hope campgrounds will come around to the bigger size RV's? We only used the unit once. I DO love having 2 bathrooms.
What is your take or experience with this?
We are not retired yet so time is of the essence, although we bought this figuring we would be retiring in a year and half.
Please discuss.
We have the same trailer. 3931fb is got to be my favorite floor plans in the Montana line. Before this trailer I have been in 5 other 5th wheel's, I have never been turned away from a park because I am to big or to long. Now if you are going to camp at State and BLM, County, park things like that you will be too big.

As far as towing Its been no problems at all. Towing a 42 foot trailer is the same as towing a 28 foot trailer. It backing up that become a little more let say fun. LOL

Hope you keep the trailer. You got yourself a good one.....

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #17
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We have never had any problems finding a set to put our 5er in. The big problem is some of the narrow roads we come across with a long Rig. just take your time and they do fit.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
a bit long. but just call ahead. You have the trailer so just use it....you have lost a ton of money already from depreciation.

Maybe just find one campground and use that as your primary CG

you will have problems at many federal campgrounds.

walmart is your answer as you move around the country.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
One thing we noticed with this trailer is that width is an issue as is length. Our last trailer had two slides on the same side. This one has three with two that are opposing. Numerous times we find that we must park so that the slides will not run into shubbery or utility connections and provide clearance to walk around it on the other side. Perhaps a lesser issue but we are dealing with it none the less.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #20
Oldharley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21684
i didn't ever worry about the 40' montana when pulled with my truck. this new rig you better know where you are going. But with some planning we have had no issues. trailer is 44' truck is 30'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_185356.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	6893  
Oldharley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
42 foot, big unit, go smaller