Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
There are several approaches to this depending on the BBQ you have and whether you want to use low pressure propane (after the regulator) or high pressure propane (before the regulator). My approach - my BBQ was designed for disposable bottles like yours. That means it has its own regulator and requires high pressure propane. On the door side (DS) tank I put a "T" before the regulator. Then i went to a propane shop and had them make a 3' pigtail hose with a threaded fitting for the"T" on one end and a quick disconnect (QD) on the other end. Then I had them make a 6' hose with the other half of the QD on one end and the threaded fitting like the disposable bottles on the other end so that it can screw right into the regulator on the BBQ. I normally keep my propane set to draw from the ODS tank. That way I can turn off the valve on the DS tank and not lose propane when not using the BBQ. When setting up, connect the long hose between the QD and the BBQ, Then - SLOWLY - open the valve on the tank to start the flow of propane. While the empty hose fills, you can hear the safety valve in the tank try to engage. When the hose is pressurized, the clicking will stop and you can then light the BBQ. To avoid being sprayed with propane when disconnecting, after the last use of the BBQ, leave the BBQ turned on and close the valve on the tank. This will born all the propane out of the hose. If you do happen to open the valve too fast and the safety valve engages, turn the tank valve off and disconnect the green end of the pigtail to the tank. Give the safety valve a minute of two to reset and then hook it up again and try again. I've been using this approach for years. Good luck.