Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
A RAT! got into the underbelly of the Monty

Have been going back and forth to the monty every week to put in supplies and I all was ok. I went back last week and when I went to turn on the battery in the front storage I noticed oil on the ground street side of the front stabeliser, I did shoot some WD 40 in there a while back I thought but not that much. but once I opened the compartment door I knew what was up. A RAT!!!!! was making a nest, it chewed the 2 one quart auto transmission fluid, then the Awsume had holes in it it also was empty. then I saw some fiberglass instalation in the nest, oh darn where did that come from? I looked around and found that this rat chewed a hole in the flexable heating duct he used that as a freeway to the underbellyand back. my heart fell to the ground........... I went inside the Monty expecting the worst and all was ok up stairs, no nest here or in the heater, so I turned on the water to wash my hands and no water was in the FW Tank we did hear water running and that was coming from outside from the back where the FW tank is OH no ! so I hooked it up and took it home for an inspection, after I took the one panel off I saw what that rat did. he or she chewed up my hydrolic lines, water lines, electrical wires. holy crap. this is not a simple fix so I called my insurance co, put in a clame. $4600.00......big ones. When I get it back i will put in wire guards in all the front leg openings moter for the legs, spring pad areas any place there is a opening. I left the other storage park because of human rats braking in. now its the real rat, which does far more damage that man. When I get time I'll take some pictures of the rat guards for a show n tell.
Thank God for insurance. with my 250.00 deductable it will be a easy fix for me, but not for my insurance co.