Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
About black tank draining

One of the most undesirable tasks on an RV is dumping your waste tanks. All I have to say is get over it and do the job right or suffer the consequences. If you just open the valve, let the effluent flow out without flushing, the black tank is not emptying!

There are other protocols used by different RVers, but here is what works and has worked for me since 2004:
  • Use a clear connection at your discharge nozzle so you can see what you need to see.
  • Use your tank flush every time you dump.
  • Keep flushing until the water runs clear.
It is my considered opinion that if you don't use the tank flush on all or most dumps, you are inviting build up in your tank. When that happens the weight of the accumulate solids begins to cause the tank to sag. As the tank sags, there is less draining and more build up, more sag, etc., until you end up having to replace the tank. If you don't believe this, talk to RV service people who have to make the repairs.

My protocol is to empty the tank and then flush two full potties of water, turn on the tank flush and close the valve. I let the tank flush fill the black tank for 3 or 4 minutes and drain again. I close the valve and then drain the tank like this 4 or 5 times or until I get clear water running through the sight coupling. Caution: do not get distracted while the valve is closed and the flush is running. I only takes one over flow to figure out why.

I also use a four outlet manifold on the water supply so that I can hook up a separate hose on the tank flush. I never use my fresh water hose for anything else. I do not want to invite cross contamination.

One of the first modifications I did to my rig was to install a slide valve at the end of the drain pipe. I close it before I disconnect and open it only after the drain hose is fully connected. This prevents a "pint of surprise" when you take the cap off it.

All you old hands know all this. I posted it for the new folks who are still adapting to RVing in a fifth wheel.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote