Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Towin' in the wind

30-40 mph constant head wind takes its toll. Leaving Medora, ND and heading to Lewistown, MT with a full tank of fuel 38 gallons, I wasn't worried about getting there. Then the head wind hit. Mile after mile into the wind. About 40 miles out of Lewistown, I had the "Empty in 50 miles" warning pop on. No sweat, only 40 miles to go. No towns no fuel around. The last 150 miles to Lewistown on MT200 is a lonesome trail.

When I got 30 miles away, the "to empty" read 28 miles. Consternation!! "We aren't going to make it, Dianna." Oh, by-the-way, cell phones are marginal at best. I had one bar....sometimes. We began to try to call Coach-Net, our emergency road service. Calls were dropped four times. Angst, now 20 miles to go, 15 miles of fuel.

Finally got on a hill with 3 bars and stopped. We finished the call to Coach-Net. Thirty minutes later, tow truck to the rescue with five gallons of diesel (ULSD). I paid for the fuel, but Coach-Net paid for the delivery. Five gallons was $21.00, the delivery was $175.00. Real glad I had Coach-Net.

When I filled up in Lewistown and added the five gallons they brought, it came to 40 gallons. I was 2 gallons short of the amount of fuel for the trip. A head wind can get you in a bind. So today, I bought a 5-gallon diesel can to carry to cover a miscalculation through desolation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote