Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
2006 Pin Box Problems

Good Morning All,

I recently took delivery of a new 2006 3400RL, and for the most part am quite happy. However, I am trying to work through one problem and am looking for assistance.

I have been told by our dealer that starting in 2006 there is a difference between the pin box configuration of all 5vrs less than 34' compared to those that are greater than 34'. I have tried to contact Montana about this but thus far have not gotten a response.

The shorter trailers have a longer more wedged shaped box, while the longer trailers have a shorter more stubby looking box. At almost 38', the 3400RL has the shorter box. My problem is this: when received the box was installed at its highest position in the frame wing mount holes. Since the front of the trailer was riding high about 2.5", I was able to compensate some by lowering the hitch in the truck to its lowest position, but it is still riding high by 1.5". Perhaps I can purchase a different hitch that rides lower in the truck bed, but most other options that might be available start to be very expensive. - By the way, my TV is a standard 2003 2500HD with stock sized wheels, tires, suspension etc, nothing strange.

I believe riding high on the hitch will tranfer some weight off the hitch, but don't have a clue how much or if I should even worry about it.

But the situation is worsened if I were to install a Mor/ryke pin box on the unit (which I want to do) because according to Mor/ryde their design causes the pin to be approximately 1" lower, thus making the trailer front now again ride 2.5" high. Knowing this, Mor/ryde has recommended not installing it on my 2006 Montana 3400RL (We are still investigating the issue hoping to find a resolution).

This sounds scarey to me since I have nothing out of the ordinary in the way of a TV or trailer configuration, and as I have been told by our dealer, in the near future the Mor/ryde pin box will be available on the Montanas. Are we/Montana headed for trouble here?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote