Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A big thing to consider when purchasing a GPS is how updates are performed. Hopefully whatever unit you select can be done via a USB and at your computer, or the unit does not have to be connected to the vehicle to perform the update or the update does not take very long.

I have an incredible but very expensive Pioneer AVIC Z1 unit uses Hard disk for its database and program execution - very quick and holds a lot of data. I recently purchased the update DVDs and these TWO DVDs hold a bunch of POIs and the software to be updated. It will take approximately 3 hours to perform the update! Keeping in mind the car has to be on or running for the update to occur. Others who have done this needed a couple of days to complete the update because when you shut the car off, the process stops until you turn your vehicle on again so it can continue. Then there's a critical part of the update when updating the unit's firmware that one must NOT interrupt the update for about 15 to 20 minutes. What a hassle!

Whatever brand or model you pick, I hope whatever you pick is easier than this unit to update. You will want one that is update capable since you'll want install new POIs, data, software and firmware as opposed to buying a new unit every time you want new stuff. I bought my unit with update capability but selected this one because of the features and intelligence. Being a big time nerd, I don't mind the complexities, but just want to provide the heads-up for anyone who might not want to be surprised.

(DW and I are planning a long trip to get this done, about two hours out, stop for breaks and activities, then two hours back, should do it.)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote