Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2024, 07:31 PM   #1
Truckdriver7765

M.O.C. #34558
Montana high country 377fl

What truck is best to use to travel in new 2024 Montana 377fl! Looking at a ram 3500 Cummings 6.7

Truckdriver7765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 08:07 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
That will work, as well as all of the big 3

Edit: I see this was your first post. Welcome to the MOC family! You'll find lots of friendly and helpful folks here should you find yourself with questions. Safe travels and happy camping
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 10:52 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums. I tow a High Country 375FL, which is the same trailer as yours, except it has no loft (same back door opposite side), same floor plan. I tow it with a 3500 (one ton) diesel dually. I would not want to tow it with anything less. Yours is even heavier with that rear drop frame and loft.

You are in the big boy's club now with that 377FL. If you are not considering dually's, you should. The stability with a dually shines when towing something that large. All of the big 3 will tow, but the dually's will afford the stability in any of the big 3's over the single wheel flavor of the same brand. Take the advise from another dually owner.... get the dually and get the diesel.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 11:32 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Yes, the RAM will pull it. And, as stated, so will the other 2 main brands. IMHO it should be a diesel…you’ll appreciate it on the hills.

Towing the weight really isn’t the issue. Carrying the weight is the issue. Look at the payload sticker inside the driver door of any truck you’re looking at to see “Total cargo and passengers not to exceed xxxxlbs”…or similar language. Whatever number they post for that truck is the payload. That is how much total weight you can put ON the truck. That total weight will include the loaded pin weight of the trailer, the hitch, gear, and all passengers. Your truck’s payload needs to be higher than all the weight you will put on it.

So, yes, a 3500 at the least will be your safe starting point. Maybe a dually will be needed…do the math. Personally, I prefer a dually for the added stability in high-wind areas. YMMV.

Welcome aboard. I appreciate that you’re asking this important question before making the purchase. Good luck and safe travels.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote