Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2024, 09:45 AM   #1
JayBee

M.O.C. #27526
Reese Goosebox Install Issue

I’m installing the Reese Gooseneck pin box. It was a bear to get out the OEM one. I had to use a crowbar going back and forth on each side many times to get it to slowly slide out. The Reese pin box is obviously too narrow and needs spacers. I can’t just bolt it on and put that much stress on the vertical brackets from the frame. I noticed the old pin box had plates welded on both sides.

I ordered the Reese Sidewinder spacers and I’m waiting on them to come in. I hope all the holes line up and I can use the roll pins to hold it in place.

If my measurements are correct, this is going to be a significant emotional event to get this back up in there. It's about a 1/16th" inch too wide on very stout metal. I don't want to use grease of any kind, my mechanic son says to use brake cleaner as a lubricant because it evaporates. Sounds good to me.

Curious if anyone else that has install experience had similar issues. In all the videos I watched I didn’t see anyone using spacers.

2021 385BR
2024 GMC 3500 DRW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadArmor.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	17744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	17745  

JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 10:11 AM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
uh huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I’m installing the Reese Gooseneck pin box. It was a bear to get out the OEM one. I had to use a crowbar going back and forth on each side many times to get it to slowly slide out. The Reese pin box is obviously too narrow and needs spacers. I can’t just bolt it on and put that much stress on the vertical brackets from the frame. I noticed the old pin box had plates welded on both sides.

I ordered the Reese Sidewinder spacers and I’m waiting on them to come in. I hope all the holes line up and I can use the roll pins to hold it in place.

If my measurements are correct, this is going to be a significant emotional event to get this back up in there. It's about a 1/16th" inch too wide on very stout metal. I don't want to use grease of any kind, my mechanic son says to use brake cleaner as a lubricant because it evaporates. Sounds good to me.

Curious if anyone else that has install experience had similar issues. In all the videos I watched I didn’t see anyone using spacers.

2021 385BR
2024 GMC 3500 DRW
I have this pin box I had to use 2 spacers to tighten it up, just buy them and forget about it. They`re made for this situation. You don` need to have them welded on. Don`t try and draw in the campers side plates with the bolts.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 10:40 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I had to use the spacers too. I centered the Reesebox in my P/U bed and used a jackstand to hold it up. I then used the levelers of the trailer to raise and lower it until the holes lines up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	17758  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 02:06 PM   #4
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
The spacers will work toot sweet for you. I have a tractor and used A pallet on a front end loader with a pallet on hay forks to ease our Goosebox into place, but not everyone has access to one. @432bartman's scenario should work well for you. You are gonna love your Goosebox! Good luck and happy camping
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 02:16 PM   #5
JayBee

M.O.C. #27526
Thank you all for the responses and good information. Really looking forward to getting this done and getting on the road.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote