Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #21
Hoyett
Established Member

M.O.C. #28616
Good morning to one and all!

I believe my converter is like the one posted above but it is double the size, I believe due to it being a 50Amp RV.

I fully charged the battery and left some of the cabin lights on & will go triple check to see if in fact the converter is bad before shelling out $$$.

Is there a better place to purchase these converters from? Thanks!

Hoyett

Hoyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #22
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyett View Post
Good morning to one and all!

I believe my converter is like the one posted above but it is double the size, I believe due to it being a 50Amp RV.
Which picture above? The one in Post #7? I don't understand the part about being twice the size. It's not because it is a 50 amp RV as all Montanas since 2004 have been 50 amp.

Quote:
I fully charged the battery and left some of the cabin lights on & will go triple check to see if in fact the converter is bad before shelling out $$$.
Is the shore power OFF? If so, the battery will discharge with no converter to recharge. Not a good test to see if the converter is working.

If the shore power is ON, then the converter should re-charge the battery (which apparently it doesn't) unless there is a problem in the 12V circuit.

Have you used a VOM to check the 12V voltage at the various places things can go wrong as described earlier? Just because you charged the battery and running the 12V system discharges the battery it doesn't necessarily mean the converter is bad.

Quote:
Is there a better place to purchase these converters from? Thanks!

Hoyett
There are a ton of place to buy a converter. But the question is "What converter?" AFAIK your current converter (which apparently you found somewhere) has not been identified. Can you post a picture of the converter? What is the manufacturer and Model of the current converter?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #23
Hoyett
Established Member

M.O.C. #28616
I understand this is unorthodox but can you give me a shout? 815-295-1363
Hoyett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #24
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
After talking with another 3402RL owner (2012 instead of a 2015), he says he has The Progressive Dynamics PD4590 converter, a 90 amp converter built in to the electric panel.

The OP says he has what looks like the previously pictured *REPLACEMENT* converter but is it not in the panel or a case. It is just sitting there (wired into the panel) by itself. The OP is not the original owner and one has to believe a previous owner had a converter failure and Mickey-Moused a solution.

The OP is going to try and get pictures of the converter and the panel to determine a model/part number. He does say there is battery voltage (12.5 +/-) at all critical spots regardless if shore power is connected or not. It sure sounds like a converter problem and a good opportunity to clean up the installation.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote