Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2024, 08:28 AM   #1
dh0706
Established Member

M.O.C. #34072
2008 Montana 3400RL Emergency Window

Has anyone ever found a way to use the emergency windows for more ventilation? Thinking of making a velcro one....would allow quick removal in event of emergency. Such a nice large window...shame to waste the vent ability. Thx in advance for input.

dh0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:41 PM   #2
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I have a 2002 3670RL with a nice big (emergency) window in the bedroom--and I spent a long time a few years ago searching this forum and other places for ideas on how to open up the stupid window without ruining it forever. I came up with nothing!

Mine even came with a screen, for crying out loud--but I think once I open it, it's gone for good. Our Montanas are old, so maybe newer models make more sense, regarding the emergency window. The velcro window idea sounds good--I might do that myself except that I have kitties who could get out through that window in a split second.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Okay, now I just. had an idea--instead of a velcro window, maybe make your own big window screen using stuff you can get at any hardware store--it's easy to make your own window screens--and then attach the screen to the wall on the inside using screws, nails, glue, or whatever. Then when you want to "close the window," you can put a thin piece of plywood over it, covering the whole thing.

Maybe that's what I'll do, eventually--I already have a big board which I cover the window with sometimes, to reduce light and noise. I have three screws screwed into the cabinet next to the window--not all the way screwed in, but with about 3/4 of an inch sticking out of the cabinet, lined up in a a vertical row--to fit the edge of the board into, to hold it in place against the window.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:29 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh0706 View Post
Has anyone ever found a way to use the emergency windows for more ventilation? ....
What type of rear emergency window do you have? Is it a slider or one that pushes out from the bottom? A picture would really help us as that is a 16 year old rig and our memories aren't all that good about some details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newowneroldmontana View Post
I have a 2002 3670RL with a nice big (emergency) window in the bedroom--and I spent a long time a few years ago searching this forum and other places for ideas on how to open up the stupid window without ruining it forever. I came up with nothing!......
'
Once again, what does this 22 year old window look like? It obviously has to open if it is to be an exit. Every Montana Bedroom emergency exit window I have ever seen has a lever at the bottom which rotates and allows you swing open the bottom of the window. The screen on the inside prevents animal/insect entrance (and exit in the case of cats). One can rig up an extension for the handle if you want to open the window even further.
Here are two pictures of my bedroom emergency exit bedroom window. You can see the window closed with the latch and then open using the latch handle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6030002.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	17176
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6030008.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	17177

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:25 PM   #5
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Carl n Susan, I screwed up the quoting on this, but in response to you

Yes, that's pretty much what mine looks like, and it looks like it opens from the bottom, too--but for some reason I've always thought if I opened it, the whole window would come out of the wall, and be nearly imossible to put back in. I remember there being a thread about it on here, I think--but maybe I'm wrong?
Old 05-22-2024, 07:32 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My 2007 was just like Carl’s picture. I always opened that window if the weather was mild enough for the fresh air. Often stayed open until time to travel again.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:42 PM   #7
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I think I'm wrong! I just searched this group.for "emergency window " and found posts talking about opening the emergency window back in 2004 models, when they were new. "Cargary" even talked about using a velcro screen, on 7/4/2004. Huh. Gonna figure out how to open the window now, to let air in *and* keep kitties in. The screen oughta do it. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-22-2024, 08:43 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
newowneroldmontana - The bedroom window will nor fall out if just opened. It has a hinge assembly much like the doors on the pass through compartment. You would have to open it *WAY* up, remove the plastic plug in the track, and slide it off.

I am not sure I can make it out that window with it open part way. But I would sure try if needed.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:12 PM   #9
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
newowneroldmontana - The bedroom window will nor fall out if just opened. It has a hinge assembly much like the doors on the pass through compartment. You would have to open it *WAY* up, remove the plastic plug in the track, and slide it off.

I am not sure I can make it out that window with it open part way. But I would sure try if needed.
Thank.you for the clarification--in reading old posts, I think I must have gotten spooked because it looks like the latches used to break a lot, and so sometimes people were no longer able to keep emergency windows shut once they opened them. Over time, my mind must have turned my tboughts of "What if I can't keep the window shut?" into "The window falls out."

I would sure try to get myself and kitties out that window, too, if I needed to--though it seems like a long way down.