Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2024, 05:47 PM   #1
Keith Hughes

M.O.C. #31716
Grey valve cable stuck

Getting our 2021 3121RL ready to camp and went to pull the handle to open the kitchen grey tank valve only to discover it will not budge. Removed the handle, attached a tube to the end of the cable, filled the tube with WD40 and let it sit for awhile. WD40 seemed to penetrate so I removed the tube, reattached the handle and tried pulling again. Still won't budge. Reattached tube and refilled with WD40 and will let it sit overnight. Any other suggestions? TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240526_183559.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	17189  

Keith Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:41 PM   #2
Cbrez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28306
I had good results with the method you are using. If the overnight soak doesn’t get it done, add oil and let it soak longer. If that doesn’t work you’ll need to drop the coroplast (or cut a flap) and get up close and personal with the valve. Not a terrible job, but working on your back with waste water above can be sketchy.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:18 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
WD-40 is actually not a lubricant. Try using Deep Creep. It is a penetrant that should give better results if the WD-40 doesn't get it broke loose.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:52 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If it has been closed up all winter it is likely the valves seals have dried out sticking to the valve.
Try bumping in on the handle with your palm then pull. Repeat harder, but not too hard.
If this doesn't work, you will need to drop the coroplast and lubricate the valve seals.
This works!!
I've done all of mine and they operate better than new.

Valve lubrication making lube holes for silicon grease
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 01:24 PM   #5
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
I hated those cable operated valves. Had more issues either not closing all the way. I was able to remove them and rotated the valve assembly so that the stem was facing the rv frame. Then did some careful measuring, I drilled a hole through the frame directly in line with the valve stem. Then I just used a piece of threaded rod and connected the rod to the end of the valve stem using connectors. Then I put the original handle on the end of the threaded rod. No more valve problems. Where the black tank was located, I had to install the modification over on the curbside. But that was OK.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:43 PM   #6
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneT View Post
I hated those cable operated valves. Had more issues either not closing all the way. I was able to remove them and rotated the valve assembly so that the stem was facing the rv frame. Then did some careful measuring, I drilled a hole through the frame directly in line with the valve stem. Then I just used a piece of threaded rod and connected the rod to the end of the valve stem using connectors. Then I put the original handle on the end of the threaded rod. No more valve problems. Where the black tank was located, I had to install the modification over on the curbside. But that was OK.
That’s pretty crafty!
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 07:35 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Second Deep Creep.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:43 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
After sitting for some time without being used, mine has a tendency to stick also. I found that simply pulling on it does not work. What I found does work is to give the handle little pushes in and little pulls out over and over again. Each time it begins to break up whatever has sealed the system unmovable. When it begins to move (just a little), I keep doing this until the valve will open all the way. Sometimes, I have to work it back and forth like this for 10 minutes. But it does eventually break free.

Now, under normal use, dumping every 2 - 4 days, I don't have this problem. It's only after sitting for a couple months, specifically over the winter.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 09:12 AM   #9
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Think everyone has the same problem with the handles. What I do is I keep a can of wd40 or some other king of spray lub near my tank handles. After every few times of using them spray a little on the rod and work it back n forth. Seems to keep everything working fine.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stuck grey valve