Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2024, 06:38 PM   #1
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Beach Time

We’re headed to our favorite place in Navarre Beach in mid June. Been working getting this one spot for 6 years lol, we got next to the spot we wanted lol. And that’s with a 12month reservation, good enough.

Enjoy your summer.

DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:36 PM   #2
Pa_5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20027
Enjoy the beach!!! We have been a little further west, Gulf State Park, since April. We will be here until end of the month. Loving every minute of it!
Pa_5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 05:37 AM   #3
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa_5er View Post
Enjoy the beach!!! We have been a little further west, Gulf State Park, since April. We will be here until end of the month. Loving every minute of it!
Nice, enjoy your stay.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:50 AM   #4
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Enjoy your trip. It's advertised as Florida's best kept secret, and it's absolutely my favorite camping destination.

We have been going every year since 2016 with exception of the covid year. Normally go for a few weeks during the mid-Oct to mid-Nov timeframe. I have reservations this fall and already booked for next fall.

Which park do you stay at? We've always gone to Emerald Beach and always stayed in site 71. We drove through Santa Rosa RV Park last year and that might well be the most beautiful park I've ever seen, but quite expensive especially on the waterfront sites.

Did you see where a 15' great white shark washed up on Navarre Beach back in March? There's several articles online if you want to check it out.

It sounds like you're familiar with the area, if you've never tried this place you need to check it out: TCs Front Porch. It's on the parkway a little east of the bridge. It's built in an old service station, and a really cool place. They have a lobster omlette that's absolutely amazing. They have the most reasonable prices on their seafood, but I don't think they're open for dinner hours.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 02:50 PM   #5
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
Enjoy your trip. It's advertised as Florida's best kept secret, and it's absolutely my favorite camping destination.

We have been going every year since 2016 with exception of the covid year. Normally go for a few weeks during the mid-Oct to mid-Nov timeframe. I have reservations this fall and already booked for next fall.

Which park do you stay at? We've always gone to Emerald Beach and always stayed in site 71. We drove through Santa Rosa RV Park last year and that might well be the most beautiful park I've ever seen, but quite expensive especially on the waterfront sites.

Did you see where a 15' great white shark washed up on Navarre Beach back in March? There's several articles online if you want to check it out.

It sounds like you're familiar with the area, if you've never tried this place you need to check it out: TCs Front Porch. It's on the parkway a little east of the bridge. It's built in an old service station, and a really cool place. They have a lobster omlette that's absolutely amazing. They have the most reasonable prices on their seafood, but I don't think they're open for dinner hours.
We Stay at Emerald Beach, and we’re one spot away from the tiki table on the back west row. We haven’t looked at that Rosa RV Park, I think the privet part of Emerald beach looks nicer or appears too. I did see and read about that Shark eekkk…

Thanks for the tip on TCs Front Porch, my wife likes this place in Fort Walton. It’s made out of containers, they have out side seating, a stand alone bar you sit around and it at a cove so you can watch the boats. For the life of me I can’t remember the name of that place.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I don't know when you last stayed there, but sometime between Oct 2022 and Oct 2023, the TV cable has been removed. They had awesome digital cable and a lengthy channel list.

I was told that the cable was out at several sites; the cable is the responsibility of the cable company and they would not respond to requests to repair. Rather than just offer cable to select sites, the owner made the responsible decision to have it disconnected completely.

As it turns out, the transmitters for local stations are located between Pensacola and Mobile about 50 miles away. That's a big ask for even a directional antenna, I ended up buying a video amplifier at Lowes which helped a lot. I had to have ESPN for some games, so I pulled out my portable dish and Wally receiver. My wally hadn't been needed for several years and the software version was too old to even allow the latest version to download. I ended up buying a new one.

I didn't believe this until I tested for myself; the front of the park around the office has a strong 5G cell signal, by the time you get to the waterfront sites it drops to a fairly weak 4G. Terry, the resident handy man, told me he believes the Air Force has some communications equipment on Santa Rosa Island that interferes.

This park has never had the best WIFI, Terry told me they were considering installing fiber optic between the repeaters. I'm not sure if they're trying to improve band width or speed, or maybe both.

I'm telling you all of this so if TV is important to you, it would be a good idea to make your upgrades before you go. It's not an ideal vacation activity to work on this stuff.

I've purchased a lot of communication items to install before we go down this fall. I broke down and bought a cell internet router so I can have my own internet; I'm holding off on one of those WeBoost external antennas and boosters until I see the need for it. I have the residential version in my home and not overly impressed with it especially for the price. I found a really cool mounting bracket for the Wally, and I'm putting in a Roku and variable gain video amplifier. Hopefully I'll be ready in October.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:28 PM   #7
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We never connected to cable, I think there was a couple of channels over the antenna to watch at bed time. I’ve been thinking of getting a pay as you go dish for two tv’s . The tailgate type.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
Old 05-21-2024, 08:47 AM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
We never connected to cable, I think there was a couple of channels over the antenna to watch at bed time. I’ve been thinking of getting a pay as you go dish for two tv’s . The tailgate type.
Dish doesn't have a pay as you go plan. They have a mobile plan for $50 a month and they allow you to suspend your service once or twice a year with a $30 fee. We use our rig so much that we only suspend service during the winter months. My wife knows more.....she pays all the bills
Old 05-21-2024, 12:40 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Dish doesn't have a pay as you go plan. ...
Yes, they do. $7 per/mo as an add on to an existing plan or around $60 (and up) per/mo if you don't. You are limited on receivers (Wally or a VIP211 (?)), you can add a DVR function with an external drive, and you use one of the portable antennas. It runs on a 30 day basis. But you can start and stop it as much as you want.

The Dish website leaves a lot to be desired if you want to learn about Pay As You Go. https://www.dish.com/programming/packages/pay-as-you-go

You can get better info here on the MOC as many members use the PAYG plan. Do a Search on "pay as you go".

Showing results for pay as you go site:montanaowners.com
Search instead for pat as you go site:montanaowners.com

Dish Pay as you Go

montanaowners.com
https://www.montanaowners.com › forums › showthread

You can purchase up to 3 - 211k HD receivers and either add them to your home account for $7.00/mo each or buy 30 days at a time for full access including ...

Dish TV Pay as You Go Price

montanaowners.com
https://www.montanaowners.com › forums › showthread

Since I have the Dish subscription for the stickhouse and each television that needs port to connect to the satellite, it costs $7 per port. I only use a single ...

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:02 PM   #10
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Thanks Carl lol
What I meant is, it's not really pay as you go. Good marketing. It's a misleading statement. I have dish at home and 2 wallies in the monty. It's $5 a month. Pay as you go implies (pay as you use) IMO. My prior statement was wrong, I was thinking T-mobile data. My bad.

Oh hell what a day
Old 05-21-2024, 07:04 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I agree the advertising is misleading as the Pay/Go/Use pay period is in 30 day increments, not a sometimes desirable shorter period (days or weeks). But still a better plan than anything DirecTV has to offer for part time use.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:42 AM   #12
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I kinda sent this off on a tangent didn't I?

A couple other things that might be of interest to you: The Navy Blue Angels are based in Pensacola and have practices open to the public a couple of days a week. It's free, I would advise taking a folding chair. They have some aluminum bleachers but you can imagine how hot they get. If they have been to an airshow, look out toward the gulf on Sunday evening, they fly low and loud all the way down the beach.

Emerald Beach is the only park I know of that will let you book 18 months in advance. If you normally visit in June, you can reserve for 2026 in January.