Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2024, 09:09 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Rear 15k A/C not blowing cold air

OK, I've given up searching for this topic, but I'm sure it's been addressed before...so if someone can provide a link to the thread, I would appreciate it!

I've added a Micro Air Soft Start unit and cleaned the coils and fan, but the unit still blows just slightly cool air (VERY slight). Not even close to cold air...plus it cycles on and off continously. Runs for 3 minutes, shuts down and then restarts a few minutes later.

Can these units be recharged with new refrigerant? Or should I look at just upgrading/replacing it?

Thanks for any feedback or experiences with this!

Old 05-15-2024, 12:58 AM   #2
agoodwin3940

M.O.C. #21872
I had the same problem with my Dometic 15K. I have a Micro Air Easy Touch thermostat. The Easy Touch has an information button which shows the coil temperature. I was able to watch the freeze sensor reading bouncing down to as low as -17 degrees, which would cause the AC to cycle off. A few minutes later the reading would change to 60+ degrees and the AC would cycle back on. I replaced the freeze sensor and that solved the problem because it provides an accurate reading of the coil temperature.

https://a.co/d/cUmeIXW
agoodwin3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:03 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The freon system is sealed. There are no ports to recharge it.
I have read of someone getting a HVAC guy to install a saddle Tap and recharge the system.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:45 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
The freon system is sealed. There are no ports to recharge it.
I have read of someone getting a HVAC guy to install a saddle Tap and recharge the system.
Saddle valves are cheap and easy to install. Buy a can of freon and put some in if it gets colder buy a cheap set of gauges from HF to top it off to the correct pressure. (easy enough to find on the Net and You Tube). Just remember if you need freon you have a leak because these are closed systems. Need to address the leak first. I had the same problem gauged in freon it would cool for about a week then had to put more in it would last a week, never did find the leak, gave up took the unit off and tossed it off the roof and put a vent in it`s place. Then I installed an 18,000 btu Mini Split system, what a difference.....never going back to those noise makers.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:20 AM   #5
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Are you certain that the compressor and blower are both coming on? If just the blower is starting, the air might feel slightly cool just from the air movement. Double check your wiring and there's always a possibility that the new soft start is defective. This doesn't explain the cycling on and off.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:41 PM   #6
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Ditto on checking wiring (esp if you had to crimp any connectors) if your AC was working before soft start install. You could try uninstalling too.

I suppose it’s possible a new problem has come up but would be good to double check the install and rule out the soft start first - if the AC was working prior.

We have a different brand soft start - there was a green light that came on to let you know it was hooked-up correctly. I also remember there were a couple of lines in the instructions that I had to reread a few times for the control board and one of the compressor wires.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:32 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Great info guys...thanks for the ideas!

I am sure the Micro Air SoftStarts are working fine...forgot to mention that the A/C hasn't been blowing cold for a long time.
I've just been living with it, but I'm getting tired of dealing with the poor performance and am determined to figure out a solution.

I had also installed a Micro Air Easy Touch RV thermostat earlier this year...Which just went "belly up" on this trip a few days ago!! The screen display is crazy...upside down display with random numbers and info...
Fortunately, I have the Micro Air app which I can control the system with regardless of what the display is showing. Frustrating? Yep...
Got some work to do when I get home... Along with the usual repairs, tweaks, upgrades etc.
Gotta reach out to Micro Air for a new thermostat...this one looks like a bad board or something. Clearly defective.
Strongly considering upgrading both A/C units to a lower profile unit, possibly with heat pump? Lots of research to do...
Appreciate the feedback!