Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2024, 04:21 PM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
These tanks should be able to be filled to the brim of the toilet. They must not be made the way they are.

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 04:30 PM   #22
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
These tanks should be able to be filled to the brim of the toilet. They must not be made the way they are.
The tanks transitioned from the two piece tanks to the more reliable one piece tanks in 16 or 17.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 05:07 PM   #23
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are a number of pretty detailed black tank replacement videos on the web. Google it and watch a couple before you start.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 06:45 PM   #24
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Daryles...Yeah that sounds about right, Gotta head over to the RV tomorrow and pull off the underbelly (and throw it away). Ordered some new stuff from Recpro that sounds like better stuff anyway.
Wish I had a good location to do all this work...assuming I'm gonna do the tank myself. Can't do it at my house, need to find a place.
Appreciate all the advice and information sharing!
Old 07-05-2024, 07:04 PM   #25
Jts140
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13958
I removed half of the belly and looked at tank quickly and was able to find a model # of HT-543 on it. Found it on Amazon and online at Elkhartrvparts.com. Haven’t ordered it yet. My tank is a two piece tank that was glued together somehow. The seam appears to be at the lip edge that holds that tank in place. Feeling around it seems to have only split apart about 6 inches or so at the top corner of the seam and the water then flowed out. In a few weeks I will drop the tank and try to repair it. Wont be a fun job. But rather clean it and fix it, then try to cut holes in a new tank that is over priced. These are 48 gallon tanks and I’m sure I never fill it up half way before I empty it. I will post some pics in the weeks coming.

Feel we are lucky with this design, better to split the tank than flood out the rv with poop water. My buddy did this exact thing last night and had his toilet overflowing for over 24 hours into his new class A….

2015 GMC DRW 3500
2014 3625RE
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 08:25 PM   #26
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Wow...yeah when I overfilled mine, the tank apparently failed (probably along the seam) and I guess in a way acted as a "safety" that prevented the toilet from backing up and overflowing into the RV. When I looked in the toilet after it happened it was about 1/3 full but never over flowed! Also, thankfully, I was standing right there when it happened and I immediately knew what I had done wrong and was able to shut off the water and hook up the sewer line to drain it.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:45 AM   #27
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
15 or so years ago I had to replace the black tank in a Sportsman travel trailer we had at the time. Don’t remember where I bought the tank but - as Daryles said - I bought the tank with the same outlet position and had to cut the inlet with a hole saw. I was NERVOUS cutting the hole! I measured 10 times and cut once!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 08:21 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Kingdaddy,
Look for a tank with the exit hole where you need it (left ,right or center).
I believe for the inlets, you drill the holes the size and position you need them. Then insert big pipe Grommets in the holes. Then insert cut off pieces of pipes in the Grommets. Then install the tanks. Then use a rubber straight pipe connector and clamps to joint the existing plumbing pipes from the rig to the new pipes in the Grommets.
I think I saw that done on YouTube.
This tank is a one piece tank????
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 03:23 PM   #29
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
This tank is a one piece tank????
I don't recall where I saw it on YouTube.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 06:10 PM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A number of replacement black tanks are advertised as seamless. One says it is “blow molded” which I would guess it means the plastic is inserted in a mold and inflated like a balloon to conform to the inside contours of that mold, making it one piece construction.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote